F150 Solid axle swap SAS - Ford Bronco Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JScatt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

F150 Solid axle swap SAS

Alright here goes nothin!
I've been filtering through threads on this topic for way too long now and can't seem to find my scenario, so here it is.
I have a 1994 f150, 2wd, and an assortment of 1978 f150 parts, including a solid Dana 44 I want to put in.
I'm looking to do as little fabricating and keep it low cost as it is my daily driver meaning it will never see boulders or be under stress. It doesn't need all the beefing up with extended radius arms and custom spring shims as I'm not getting outrageous springs. Daily driver also means this swap needs to be done in a weekend, so as much research and pre-prep is what I'm doing

First off I'm keeping the stock 96 spring buckets. The more I have to meddle the more room for human error, I'd like this primarily bolt on.
This is where I feel like the only one, but I'm not lifting it 5 feet in the air! I'm hoping this cuts down on a lot of complications I've been reading about. It will be lifted 2.5 inches(note I have read that keeping stock 96 spring pockets with this axle will also lift 2ish inches, giving 4 inch total correct??). I will be buying a 78 suspension lift,equipped with required c bushings,MY FIRST QUESTION:do I need radius arm drop brackets if it comes with c bushings? I'm asking because so many of these threads are dealing with 6+ inches of lift.
Steering is my next topic since all the other threads are dealing with outrageous lifts. I have read that the F350 steering rack ball joints and linkages will fit my truck and the axle, but have heard vague issues with it being too long, some clarification would be great. SECOND QUESTION:do I need a drop pitman arm for the size of lift I'm doing?
Final need for clarification is on the Trac bar since I'm not lifted 5 feet off the ground. I've seen there's a bracket I can get online, is it just a matter of bolt on and done?
Any other clarification or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:42 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 XLT, 2.5 inch Rough Country Lift, 33" BFG's, Ranch Extended R/A's, Punisher Valve Body.
So that others understand what you are doing.....You want to convert your 94 F150 2wd to 4wd.
If so I think you will need more than a weekend.
You didn't mention anything about the drivetrain such as transfer case, drive shafts etc..
dash_cam likes this.

No bum that can't speak poifect English oughta stay in this country...oughta be de-exported the hell outta here!"

-Archie Bunker

bron·co/ˈbräNGkō/
Noun:
A wild or half-tamed horse, esp. of the western US.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

"I can do the rest later, I am aware what is necessary, I will need to do a clutch, so I've got a different tranny with a transfer case, it can all go together piece at a time and I'll slap the driveshafts in later. For now I just need the axle in since my ttb 2wd is shitting the bed.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Have you looked at this one? As it is 90% of your scenario from what I've read. I also moved you to the SAS section. You will get more crediable answers there.

Vote me your Sept. FOTM!

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:18 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco Custom (parted out; cab/frame sold), 1995 Bronco XLT (Fummins)
Garage
Are you lifting 2.5 or 4"?
Either way a low lift SAS is a challenge, but I know its been done. I doubt you'll "need" a dropped pitman arm, but the main factor will be what you do with your steering and what angle your trac bar needs to be at. If you find a trac bar upper mount that's geared towards that height, I suppose you could use that and then figure out what pitman arm you need from there.

Good luck! A start to finish SAS in a weekend is no small task.

1990 Bronco...sold
1995 FSB: D60/AAM 11.5'', BTS E4OD/Atlas II, 6.7 Cummins conversion in progress
2017 Silverado 1500 Custom: Daily Driver

SuperMotors Profile: http://www.supermotors.net/users/muffinman944
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Owned 21 Years

Bronco Info: 95XLT351 E4OD SAS 44/ARB/Alloy shafts-joints. D60 rear/Detroit. 4wheel disc,35" KO2's, 4.56etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggor94 View Post
Alright here goes nothin!
I've been filtering through threads on this topic for way too long now and can't seem to find my scenario, so here it is.
I have a 1994 f150, 2wd, and an assortment of 1978 f150 parts, including a solid Dana 44 I want to put in.
I'm looking to do as little fabricating and keep it low cost as it is my daily driver meaning it will never see boulders or be under stress. It doesn't need all the beefing up with extended radius arms and custom spring shims as I'm not getting outrageous springs. Daily driver also means this swap needs to be done in a weekend, so as much research and pre-prep is what I'm doing

First off I'm keeping the stock 96 spring buckets. The more I have to meddle the more room for human error, I'd like this primarily bolt on.
This is where I feel like the only one, but I'm not lifting it 5 feet in the air! I'm hoping this cuts down on a lot of complications I've been reading about. It will be lifted 2.5 inches(note I have read that keeping stock 96 spring pockets with this axle will also lift 2ish inches, giving 4 inch total correct??). I will be buying a 78 suspension lift,equipped with required c bushings,MY FIRST QUESTION:do I need radius arm drop brackets if it comes with c bushings? I'm asking because so many of these threads are dealing with 6+ inches of lift.
Steering is my next topic since all the other threads are dealing with outrageous lifts. I have read that the F350 steering rack ball joints and linkages will fit my truck and the axle, but have heard vague issues with it being too long, some clarification would be great. SECOND QUESTION:do I need a drop pitman arm for the size of lift I'm doing?
Final need for clarification is on the Trac bar since I'm not lifted 5 feet off the ground. I've seen there's a bracket I can get online, is it just a matter of bolt on and done?
Any other clarification or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys
So if you are keeping the stock '96 towers that hold the spring up top, those are indeed about 1" shorter as I recall from all my research years ago. Then if you are using 78 suspension, the lower coil of course will be fine with the axle mount, and I believe the upper fits ok with a TTB tower as I know others have done this in the past.

Lift, you are buying a '78, 2.5" lift kit? That should net you about 3.5-4". If your C bushings have some correction (I'd guess 2*), I'd think you would not need drop brackets. The lift kit you plan to buy is not including these, correct?

Someone else will have to comment on Ford F350 linkages. I do recall some topics on this, but aftermarket DOM Tube and 1 ton chevy joints are cheap and simple as well, several manufactures offer complete kit's these days. May not need a dropped pitman either, but that can be dealt with after the fact if the steering angles are not to your liking. The upper track bar bracket is easy, you certainly can buy something online and bolt it on, no welding required. Can you post a pic or link of what you are looking at, not all upper attachments are the same, I've seen crap and I've seen lots of great stuff.

How is the condition of your D44....track bar attachment, not too much rust, inside the axles, have you pulled it all apart for cleaning?

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 09:30 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 f-150, 4x4, zf 5-speed, intercooled Cummins 4BT, Dana44SAS, short wheelbase daily driver
might wanna look at my build thread.. I started with low lift springs but had to go to 4" springs so that road bumps wouldn't slap the pumpkin on the crossmember

it would have saved me alot of heartache to do it once instead of twice.

btw I tried to go really low (custom crossmember and all) but really low is logistically pretty tough on these trucks because of where the motor sits

as a side note though: Although my truck sits on 35's i have it low enough that 33's would look great (that's pretty low)

Slightly Modified

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode