SAS NEWBIE QUESTIONS - NO FLAMING ALLOWED - Page 276 - Ford Bronco Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #5501 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 93 5.8L tons of stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Yea, I think 7-8 is more like it. Some people do as much as 11-12. (Not sure about that much) I had my project at the 3-4 and then changed it to 6-7. It drives way better.
I agree with the 6-7. To spread that out I would say 5-8. But it does depend on the lift/tire setup. A smaller lift/tire combo you could probably stay in the 3-5* area. For a larger setup I would say 5-8 is where you want to be. But as you pointed out Elliot, your pinion angle is going to suffer. Especially when you get to the 7 and 8 caster number. But that's just the reality of the situation, unless you want to cut and turn the C's. At around 5-6 you will probably get drive line vibrations depending on your lift and tire details. I assume you have manual hubs so unlocking solves that problem. How much actual lift are you running and what size tires?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5502 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 01:06 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Bronco, 351w, ZF5/205 swapped 14b rear on 37 iroks
Ive got about 6" of lift. 37 inch iroks. Manual hubs. Im putting hydro assist on my truck soon aswell as beadlocks. Being as its more a trail rig only now. I may wait, see how it drives with the ram assist and then re asses. Ill pull a wheel off tonight and re check the current casyer but i think im at three

1984 Bronco Xlt, SAS 4.11, 351w w/ truck avenger 670 and headers
http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/elliott000/slideshow/
https://www.youtube.com/user/ehumpy
post #5503 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:06 PM

Bronco Info: 83 351w zf5 10.25 3/4ton 2wd converson
passenger drop sas builds/info

Hey Guys,
did the search not really finding what im looking for.
I might be searching for the wrong thing i dont know...
I am currently running a 3/4 ton 2wd set up on my 83. (10.25 in the rear)
It has been on there long enough. I have a set of obtainable cucv axles nearby and was looking for passenger drop conversions. so ill take and links, keywords or names you have thanks guys!

Do Work.
Never Forget

post #5504 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Foolish Bronco. 302/5 speed, ex forest service, work in progress
So I am thinking of doing a sas on my 90, I have access to a 97 Ram 1500 with a coil over d44, what would be included in putting this in my bronco? is it the right width? if its line up right will the driveshaft meet the pumpkin yoke? where can I buy radius arms? What about steering set up?

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #5505 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish_mortal View Post
So I am thinking of doing a sas on my 90, I have access to a 97 Ram 1500 with a coil over d44, what would be included in putting this in my bronco? is it the right width? if its line up right will the driveshaft meet the pumpkin yoke? where can I buy radius arms? What about steering set up?
Is the Dodge diff on the left? If so, it shouldn't be too tough. You could use the arms from the Dodge or make your own links.

I still say, if your going to do the work to SAS, go with 05' or newer Superduty stuff. Very easy (almost bolt on) and strong. The stock 44 is not much of upgrade.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #5506 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Foolish Bronco. 302/5 speed, ex forest service, work in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Is the Dodge diff on the left? If so, it shouldn't be too tough. You could use the arms from the Dodge or make your own links.

I still say, if your going to do the work to SAS, go with 05' or newer Superduty stuff. Very easy (almost bolt on) and strong. The stock 44 is not much of upgrade.
The dodges diff is on the left.
I'm not saying you're wrong on the SD axles, but it would be total overkill for what I want to do and I've already got a locked 8.8 with yukon shafts and a few other goodies

1990 Foolish Bronco
Ex Forest Service
302/5 Speed
post #5507 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 04:49 PM
FSM Lifetime

Dodge axles suck. That's a pretty general comment but they have their issues. Anything with Dodge on it belongs in a Dodge. Get a Ford 44 and do that swap. It will be easier in the end. I don't blame you for doing a 44 since you have your rear built. But I also agree with helirich, 60 is that much better and if your going through the hassle, expense, why not do something that is probably 50% stronger. I'm not a huge fan of the 05 and newer Superduty stuff, but they are Dana 60's.

post #5508 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 PM

Garage
Alright guys I need some serious help... I have a 1989 ford bronco with a fuel injected 302. It idles perfectly and the timing is spot on. However if we try to drive it in reverse or forward it makes a loud backfiring type noise through the intake. We just rebuilt the engine and transmission, got a new distributor, new fuel filter, new plugs and wires, and new injectors. Still same issue. Help!!!
post #5509 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 PM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1989 View Post
Alright guys I need some serious help... I have a 1989 ford bronco with a fuel injected 302. It idles perfectly and the timing is spot on. However if we try to drive it in reverse or forward it makes a loud backfiring type noise through the intake. We just rebuilt the engine and transmission, got a new distributor, new fuel filter, new plugs and wires, and new injectors. Still same issue. Help!!!
Since your new here, I'm gonna cut you a break... Biff Tannon
Why did you post this in the solid axle swap section? Someone will move this for you so don't be surprised when it's gone. It will likely go to this forum.
Have you double checked your firing order and timing?
Welcome to FSB!

post #5510 of 5510 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 07:22 PM

Garage
Sorry I moved it to that forum! Noob mistake my apologies!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode