mostly a 94 Bronco
wt4wheeling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 12:12 PM
ate lug

Bronco Info: 88 Bronco/96 Bronco/96 F250
Garage
Perhaps you need to change the thread title to NEWBIE SAS QUESTIONS ONLY instead
post #43 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Bronco Info: 83 I-6
ok sorry let me be specific are the u joints the same from the 79 bronco front drive shaft and my 83 np208 and can a rear drive shaft be used in the front? and if so what size are they?

83 bronco I-6 custom fenders(sawzall and sledge) 38" ground hawgs,TTB

post #44 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 04:52 PM
ate lug

Garage
Maybe, as ford switched from 1310 to 1330 that year so it could have either so youll have to compare the two and see. Of course different transmission combinations would change the driveshaft length so there theres good possibility that it wont work anyway. This applies for the rear driveshaft as well. Most likely the 79 front dshaft wont work, and no way is the rear shaft gonna work up front.
post #45 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 PM

Tie rod and lower coil buckets

What size tie rod ends works with a 79 ford dana 44 from an f150. I am trying to order some but don't know what size. I ve seen where people have used the complete tie rod and drag link set from an 90s f350 and ive fond a set pretty cheap but wanted to know if they would work without any other mods. Also the axle I got didn't come with the lower coil buckets so I was thinking I could make them. Does anyone see any problems with that? I am using 79 coils. Looking at a pic of them it looks like the buckets have a indention for the end of the coil. This is the only problem I see. And one last guestion, Why do people move the upper coil buckets forward an inch?
Thanks for the help
John
post #46 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 PM
94_chickentaco

I mounted my upper buckets as far forward as the frame would allow, like most everyone else who has. This placed my tire dead center in my wheel well.

If it was + or - one inch, it wouldnt be centered.
post #47 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 12:56 AM
BurnedB's competition.

Bronco Info: 84 Dodge PowerWagon
Easy easy question:

When swapping a 79 Front suspension to a 80 Bronco, the only serious fabrication is building a new transmission mount, upper track bar mount and track bar, correct? Everything else can be adapted to fit with moderate work?

I've been looking and looking, but everyone is using lift springs, longer radius arms, etc etc. I'm just going to swap stock stuff over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged_ol_86 View Post
Listen to death metal, drink beer, punch babies, stuff puppies in wood chippers and blow an 8 ball of coke all while getting a blowjob. Makes life less miserable.
post #48 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
ate lug

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_chickentaco View Post
I mounted my upper buckets as far forward as the frame would allow, like most everyone else who has. This placed my tire dead center in my wheel well.

If it was + or - one inch, it wouldnt be centered.
Agreed, the shape of the frame will only allow you to go an inch anyway. best to take it, since not only does it help center the wheel, but it lessens the chance of the tire coming in contact with the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelthra View Post
Easy easy question:

When swapping a 79 Front suspension to a 80 Bronco, the only serious fabrication is building a new transmission mount, upper track bar mount and track bar, correct? Everything else can be adapted to fit with moderate work?

I've been looking and looking, but everyone is using lift springs, longer radius arms, etc etc. I'm just going to swap stock stuff over.
Youll have to do some measurements, but most likely youll need to make a new xmember underneath the motor. At 4" of lift it clears (check out bossind's swap), but at stock height im betting the axle will be hitting that xmember pretty badly.
post #49 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=reptillikus;1165374]Agreed, the shape of the frame will only allow you to go an inch anyway. best to take it, since not only does it help center the wheel, but it lessens the chance of the tire coming in contact with the firewall.

Ok thanks. I can still use the same drive shaft right?
And what tie rod ends do i need will f 350 ones work? Is a 79 ford dana 44 that im using. I see people using chevy TREs. Why are they better?
Thanks
John
post #50 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 PM
ate lug

Garage
You can use the stock dshaft. Some people have had to use the pinion yoke off the TTB since Ford upped the ujoint size. I cant comment on this since i went right to a D60 & custom dshaft.

As for steering, you can use a F350 tierod & draglink. the chevy rod ends are larger (read=stronger), but you also need to ream the knuckles & pitman arm to fit the larger ends, as well as make custom bars to thread them into. The specifics of the swap are easily found by searching under "Chevy TRE" IMO the way to go if running big tires (37+") on the rocks, altho its not a requirement.
post #51 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Bronco Info: No More Bronco
Quote:
When welding new spring hangers on an axle, (Leaf spring SAS) what angle should you have the pinion at? Lets say you're shooting for 6" of lift.
You want to focus on the caster, and it should be around 4*-5*.

Chris B
post #52 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptillikus View Post
Youll have to do some measurements, but most likely youll need to make a new xmember underneath the motor. At 4" of lift it clears (check out bossind's swap), but at stock height im betting the axle will be hitting that xmember pretty badly.
And coil buckets, unless you use the adpaters.

Chris B
post #53 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 PM
BurnedB's competition.

I'm gonna be running a WHOLE 79 front suspension. Coils, Coil buckets, everything.

Would 6" of lift clear the crossmember? he says he has some lift springs he'll sell me too.

Quote:
Listen to death metal, drink beer, punch babies, stuff puppies in wood chippers and blow an 8 ball of coke all while getting a blowjob. Makes life less miserable.
post #54 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I'm gonna be running a WHOLE 79 front suspension. Coils, Coil buckets, everything.
I believe you will need the '79 coil bucket.

Quote:
Would 6" of lift clear the crossmember? he says he has some lift springs he'll sell me too.
Yes, that will clear. I am running 4" leafs and a slightly trimmed crossmember, and I have room to spare.

Chris B
post #55 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordrebel View Post
What size tie rod ends works with a 79 ford dana 44 from an f150. I am trying to order some but don't know what size. I ve seen where people have used the complete tie rod and drag link set from an 90s f350 and ive fond a set pretty cheap but wanted to know if they would work without any other mods.
For the centerlink I used Moog DS922, ES2066S & ES 2064L. These are stock steering parts on the '78-'79 Bronco and F-150. They will bolt right up.

For the draglink I was using Moog ES2011R, ES2012S & DS1068. I have no idea what these are off of, as I think I got them by size vs application. These parts are about 1" to short, so I wouldn't use them long term. I have since gone to DOM tubing and Moog ES380L & ES2010R ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordrebel View Post
Why do people move the upper coil buckets forward an inch?
This gives you more clearance under compression, as the live axle will travel further than the TTB.

Chris B
post #56 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:08 PM
BurnedB's competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco boy View Post
This gives you more clearance under compression, as the live axle will travel further than the TTB.
I thought that the radius arms would move it forwards under compression anyway?

Quote:
post #57 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
I thought that the radius arms would move it forwards under compression anyway?
No, it moves it rearwards. The radius arm is the fixed point, so there is no way it can move forward.
I'm not that good at geometry, but if you hold out your arm and pretend your elbow is the radius arm and your fist is the axle; whether you go up or down, your fist can only move rearwards. Make sense?

Chris B
post #58 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 10:43 PM
94_chickentaco

Quote:
Is a 79 ford dana 44 that im using. I see people using chevy TREs. Why are they better?
Thanks
As stated above you will want to re-use your Yoke off the d44 TTB chunk and swap it on the 79 axle.
The chevy TRE's are readily "available at most all parts stores, here is a great resource for "why" and "how"

http://www.partsmike.com/tech/tie_rodid.html

post #59 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM

Bronco Info: '86 Auto Stock
Lol NVM
post #60 of 5513 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 PM
94_chickentaco

Quote:
Anybody every 4 linked their Bronco?
Yes, lots.

The most recent can be found in the general chit chat/picture post by Legend using airbags.
rebuilt rear suspension ( pics )

Others can be searched out,

my local bro scott aka "dogonmut

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/.../17844#content

his setup failed him at moab.

others have done well. If i had more info i would provide it for you. Cheers, hope others might offer more info.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Solid Axle Swaps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode