Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Can anyone tell me what caused this damage?

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  spikemagnus 
#1 · (Edited)
I took my 88 Bronco 351/c6 to a repair shop in Lexington Ky(Powers Transmissions). Supposedly they do engine work according to the ad in phone book. When the temp outside was really cold I would get a slight lifter tic for a few minutes. I keep the Bronco perfect so wanted to get it fixed. Shop told me it needed lifters, I told them to go ahead and do it. When I came back to pick the Bronco up, it was at full op temp but was ticking and worse than before when it was cold.
They told me to bring it back Mon(was friday at 5). I drove off and it got really loud. Pulled in to another shop and had them look at it. They pulled the heads and found one of the lifters had been chewed to pieces and spit metal everywhere plus scored the lifter bore.
Im trying to figure out what caused the damage. They did not replace the cam(and until getting on here, didnt realize you had to when changing lifters). I would expect the shop should know that. Is that what caused the damage? Any help would be appreciated. Its now an expensive lawsuit thats bleeding me.Hopefully the pics will show when I post this they arent showing in preview
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...101480477959.193376.1178533727&type=3&theater

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...101480477959.193376.1178533727&type=3&theater

See less See more
#2 ·
Perhaps the original problem was the cam rather than the lifters. In any case you need both now and you have a motor that needs to be flushed out real good or even tore down to get the metal partials cleaned out. There it's lots of talk on the forums about new oils being inadequate for older flat tappet cams.

Carl

#3 · (Edited)
I have gotten away with not just replacing lifters on a few small block chevys. That looks to be 1: your old lifters messed up your cam, 2: your cam caused your first lifters to go bad. (underliing oil supply issue?) 3: assembled with no/wrong assembley lube. 4: improper break in (i have heard both sides that you need to brake them in and that you don't. I follow cam brake in prosedure to be safe), 4: to big valve springs/ too tight surfing brake in.

#5 ·
Im already a year in on the lawsuit actually. There is more to it than just the lifter damage. Engine was torn down and metal had destroyed it. Evidently shavings scratched some surfaces deeply enough where they couldnt be resurfaced(this came from the shop that caused the damage). The engine wasnt an old junker in it. It was spotless and ran perfect. Slight lifter tick at warm up when below freezing only. They also broke the intake, and tabs off distributor. They jb welded the intake and spray painted it thinking I wouldnt notice. When negotiations broke down with owner and he said "sue me", I said I was coming to tow truck. Got there and parts were thrown in parking lot and body damage all over Bronco. He refused mediation twice so suing was all that remained to do. I just dont see how one lifter got ground down so deeply and no damage to the others. Also happened in less than 5 miles.

#12 ·
Convcit, good info. I went the way of the BBB from day 1 but shop refused mediation. I wondered about ASE getting involved. Im going to look into that. I dont understand why he didnt just turn it in to his insurance company but he is just being an ahole about it.
I would have preferred to handle this myself but Ive been in trouble many times and it costs alot more to defend yourself than it does to sue another person. Found that out the hard way, plus jail sucks! Thanks to everyone that posted!

#13 ·
if hes a small shop he probly only carries a rider policy which will cover the vehicles during the test drives... i know here in Harris county that is the only policy alot of the small shops have and theres no "requirement" to keep more than that other then to CYA... this is the only decent info I found for ASE.. although there were no complaint dept contacts..

https://www.ase.com/About-ASE/Contact-Us.aspx

#14 ·
if a lifter goes bad that ruins the cam too.. once a cam lobe and lifter break in together, they are together for life!

i've seen cams go flat from:
improper break-in procedure
horrible valve adjustment.

but in this case, changing only the lifter was the mistake. should have changed cam and lifters together. sounds like the mechanic is a complete moron. good luck.

#16 ·
1st mistake was taking it to a shop to have a slight tick at cold start up repaired.

It could have been improper oil weight or crappy oil filter.

But if it messed up the lifter bore your going to need a new engine now.

#17 ·
Yeh the engine is fubar. Luckily its a shop that has multiple locations in my town. Pretty good sized outfit. I looked at ASE site as well and didnt see any complaint links so I sent them an email asking if they offer help in situations like this. What is the best, most detailed manual for the correct procedure on installing new lifters?

#20 ·
Have you tryed contacting your dmv? Here.in NY if you are a repair shop the dmv will come investagate and try to meadeate. I don't think they can force a repair shop to do anything but most will because dmv can make your life hell.

#21 ·
How about you go park out in front of his shop on a couple of your days off with a "display" of his workmanship. You drive off enough business and he is likely to come to his senses. Just make sure that you are not on the shops property and have written permission from the owner of the property you protest from. My pops did that when a furniture company screwed us over. We had our restitution within a week. We did not ask for more than the products we paid for, but I am sure that the shop can afford to get you a replacement shortblock.
As far as the intake, if the repair is a suitable fix for the damage then that is really all you can ask for. Minor damage can happen during maintenance, and unless you have a show vehicle your gonna be hard pressed to get more than functional repairs outta the deal.
Now the body damage is something entirely different. I would have called the police immediately and pressed charges. That is completely uncalled for unless you did something extreme yourself. Even then he should not be stooping to such levels as a respectable businessman.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.