Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Air Bag Code 34

25K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  rufus 
#1 ·
Ok, I've searched a bit, but the search engine excludes "34" from my search b/c it's too short. argh.

So my airbag light is flashing and indicates code 34. I know this means, "Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted" So next question, uh...what do I do with that info? Do I need to take off the steering wheel and look for a corroded wire? I just don't quite know how to begin on this one.

#3 ·
yo,
this is by our pal RLA2005 posted elsewhere ( I will never cite that Forum's URL here because the site owner is a whack job)

"...PINPOINT TEST 34: DRIVER SIDE AIR BAG CIRCUIT LOW RESISTANCE OR SHORTED (CODE 34)
Normal Operation
The air bag diagnostic monitor measures the resistance across Pin 10, Circuit 615 (GY/W) and Pin 11, Circuit 614 (GY/O) every time the key is turned to RUN. Normal resistance across these circuits is between 1.5 and 2.0 ohms. This resistance comes from the driver side air bag module (approximately 1.0 ohm) and the windings of the air bag sliding contact (0.25 to 0.5 ohm per winding, two windings in all). If the resistance across these two circuits is less than 0.7 ohm, the air bag diagnostic monitor will flash Code 34 on the air bag lamp.
The connectors for the driver side air bag module and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the air bag. The air bag sliding contact shorting bar may be removed to measure the resistance of the air bag sliding contact. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to make sure it is installed correctly.

Possible Causes
Low resistance across Pins 10 and 11 can be caused by:
(1) A poorly mated connector on the air bag sliding contact may not push the shorting bars back into their fully retracted positions.
(2) A faulty shorting bar may short Circuits 614 and 615 together.
(3) A short in the air bag sliding contact windings between Circuits 614 and 615.
(4) A short across the terminals within the driver side air bag module. DO NOT attempt a direct resistance measurement of the driver side air bag module. Follow the diagnostic procedures to determine if the driver side air bag module resistance is lower than normal.

34-1 CHECK FOR DTC 34
Key to RUN.
Count diagnostic trouble code (if any).
Is Code 34 flashing?

Yes
GO to «34-2».

No
READ the normal operation description for this code.

EXAMINE the code schematic and LOOK for areas where intermittent problems would occur (connectors, splices, crimps, etc.). DO NOT PROCEED with pinpoint test until the code is flashing! Failure to do so will result in needless replacement of the air bag diagnostic monitor and repeat service.

This drawing from subford might help

Look at location F3 for the airbag module. You might be able to get to it from under the dash
remove a battery terminal then wait 30 minutes before attempting any work on the airbag circuits. Good luck..."

========

94-96 Airbag Circuit
by Ford via Steve83

#4 ·
I need to revive this old thread. Im getting Airbag code 34. Have been for months, but I just have ignored it. Now that I have 111 on my engine I wanna get this sorted.

I replaced the clock spring about 9 months ago. Initially I had no codes after that, but a month after I would get this code from time to time. Its still pretty much like that about 3 or 4 times a week it will blink code 34.

It seems like the shorting pins are where I need to look to start with. Can anyone tell me where those are? Have any pictures of the shorting pins?

Thanks

#6 ·
Yo J,
The connectors for the air bag diagnostic monitor and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the driver side air bag module.

Diagnostic Monitor Thermal Fuse Replacement Video
by pfun41 at youtube.com
MIESK5 Note, Suggest Right Clicking this Hot Link & Open in New Window
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RaG_Fx3kPc&lr=1

#7 ·
Where should I look for problems to resolve this?
Pull the airbag, and make sure the connections are really tight?
Then Check the connections from the steering wheel to the Dash Harness?

#9 ·
Ok so, pull the airbag and disconnect it, test resistance across the GY/O and GY/W wires coming off the clock spring with key in the run position. this should give me .5 - 1.0 ohms?
then test the airbag itself and that should be 1 ohm?

#10 ·
yo J,

Here is the entire Code 34 Pin-Point TestEXCERPTs;

34-2 MEASURE RESISTANCE
 Turn ignition switch to OFF.
Deactivate system. Leave driver side air bag harness connector empty. (DO NOT install air bag simulator.)
 Disconnect air bag diagnostic monitor .
 Remove plastic locking wedge from black harness connector.
 Measure resistance across Pin 11 (Circuit 614, GY/O) and Pin 10 (Circuit 615, GY/W).
 Is resistance across Pins 10 and 11 infinite (open)?

#12 ·
#15 · (Edited)
*** EDIT: Thank you very much for you answer! I honestly appreciate the kind response. I had my feathers ruffled a bit here recently so I apologize if my first reply was a bit brusk.***

Right, i get that. A force sensor somewhere trips and voltage is sent to the air bag. I was curious if there was a minimum voltage to trigger the reaction.

Like would 6VDC trigger it, but it wouldn't fire as energetically? Would it only fire for 12VDC or more?

I know its a little off topic, and I apologize, but curiosity overcame me. And I also freely admit that I did not Search for an answer to that one.

#16 ·
From broncolinks.com

" primary crash sensors and brackets are located on the left and right front radiator supports. Rear Air Bag Sensor and Bracket Assembly (also called the Safing Sensor) is at the base of the RH (passenger side) B Pillar. The safing and one of the primary sensors must be activated simultaneously to inflate the air bag.
Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums"

So In Order to activate the airbags, you have to SIMULTANEOUSLY crush one of the front crash sensors, AND trip the Saffing Sensor (Motion/G Sensor).

#17 ·
Oh, that's good info about the safing sensor. When I wheel I unplug one of the white connectors on the inside top of the radiator support. If any part of the airbag system is malfunctioning the entire system deactivates and will not deploy the airbag. It's quick and easy and I learned about it by Steve (steve83) years ago. :thumbup -Kevin-

#18 ·
Funny thing, ive been in 3 crashes that were faster than 30MPH, and none of those times did an airbag deploy. Makes me wonder WTF you have to do to get those things to pop. Or if they even work, lol.

#20 ·
yo J, Thanks for the pic!

Here is the skinny by Ford;
"...The connectors for the driver side air bag module and the air bag sliding contact have metal spring clips that act as shorting bars. These shorting bars are built into the plastic hardshell connectors. The shorting bars are designed to short Circuits 614 and 615 together when the connectors are not mated. Do not attempt to remove the air bag shorting bar and measure the resistance of the air bag. The air bag sliding contact shorting bar may be removed to measure the resistance of the air bag sliding contact. Use extreme care when reinstalling the shorting bar to make sure it is installed correctly..."

#21 ·
O.K. - hope I'm not screwing up here! - I too have been having repeated air bag codes 33 & 34, along with a consistent CEL. Here is what has happened with mine:

air bag code 33 "went away" when I changed the vacuum hoses I could reach from original equipment on my 96 5.8L, replacing them with heavy wall silicone hoses. CEL light also stayed off. Drove three short trips and CEL light came back on as did the air bag code 34! Attempted to reach and replace the PCV valve and associated hose(s)... couldn't do it (hey, I'm 70 and not as agile as I used to be).

Took the Bronco to the local dealer and asked him to have at it - just get it running like it is supposed to. Mileage at that time was 260,360 with a replaced water pump, front seal, thermostat and radiator. Three days later mileage was 260,475 with new plugs, new plug wires, new distributor cap and rotor, new PCV valve and hose, new DPFE sensor and a new ignition key lockset.

I'm very happy to say that now the engine runs like new and the transmission shifts much better. I was worrying about the tranny shift but didn't mention it to my dealer.

Life is good!

#22 ·
Also, pay attention to "miesk5" when he highly recommends using Ford replacement parts (or a quality equal when you can't find a Ford part) and start with getting the codes before starting. The newer engines - OBDII - require getting the code because you are dealing with a computer!

Enjoy

#23 ·
I still have code 34 flashing. I thought when I found the shorting pin on the floor that putting it back would fix it, but it didnt totally fix it. Sometimes it goes on sometimes it doesnt. I think Im gonna pull the airbag again and check those contacts. I do have a replacement spare airbag computer now, so I might try that as well.

#24 ·
DANG DEER

I hit a small doe last night. Direct bumper hit, punted her forward. Now damage, just hair on the bumper. I was traveling at least 45-50. i just touched my brake pedal when I hit her.
When I drove to work today, I am getting code 34 now.
I see what I need to do to get started finding the problem.
Thanks

#25 ·
yo Guys
Following are from Ford Serv. Manuals for 94 & 95 Bronco;
BP is high today, so I haven't read info I or others posted in this thread to see if this is rendundant:

Air Bag Deactivation Procedure
1.Disconnect battery positive cable.
2.Wait one minute. *see my NOTE above*
This is the time required for backup power supply in air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) to deplete its stored energy
3.Remove four nut and washer assemblies retaining driver side air bag module to steering wheel (3600).
4.Disconnect driver side air bag module connector.

Miesk5 Note; WARNING; Read all Safety Info; Such as, remove a battery terminal (Remove both) then wait 30 minutes before attempting any work on the airbag circuits; I have found a few vehicles that had an aftermarket component in it that had a 12v DC or higher re-chargeable battery; so take time to look for such.
1994 Bronco/Econoline/F-Series Workshop Manual
Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Diagnostic Trouble Code Priority Table
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSRM/~MUS~LEN/21/SRM1KC20.HTM

34-1 CHECK FOR DTC 34
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSRM/~MUS~LEN/22/SRM1KC22.HTM
======

1995 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual
Section 01-20B: Restraints, Passive, Supplemental Air Bag
Customer Concerns with Hard Diagnostic Trouble Codes
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WSSJ/~MUS~LEN/22/SSJ1KB15.HTM

#26 ·
Thanks for that Miesk. Now that I have a working EEC this Airbag code 34 has come back. I guess its the next thing I need to seriously look at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
yo J,
YW!

DTC 34 - EGR voltage above closed limit - Failed sensor, carbon between EGR pintle valve and seat holding the valve off its seat. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carbon remover. Prior to re-installing see if you can blow air through the flange side of the EGR by mouth. the egr is not closing properly which can cause detonation. remove the egr and clean off any carbon built up on it with carb cleaner and a brush if necessary.
Source: by miesk5 at Ford Bronco Zone Forums

DTC 34; http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2rp4v-trouble-code-44-34-ford-f150-1991.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.