Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

broken trasfer case

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  dirtycountrygirl 
#1 ·
ok so my transfer case broke something internally the other day it wouldn't go in 2wd or 4H but I got it in 4L and got it home so here is my question I called about a 91 transfer case (mines a 92) that sounded just like mine man/ shifter, bolts to the rear driveline sounded great but when I called he told me that his computer said that it would not work that I need a 92-95 but he explained the same t-case what is different if anything . will it work?

#3 ·
It will work, however I believe there should be a port for the Speedo/vss on the 91. The 92 won't have one. So just ask for the Speedo/vss plug in when getting it to plug the hole.

#6 ·
first things first, lets make sure you are shifting it right

if you are in 4low, you have to put the transmission into nuetral. park wont let you shift in/out of 4low. also the transfer case requires a special action of either pushing the shifter down to the ground or to the side

#7 ·
I shifted it right I could get in 2wd and 4h but it would grind but in 4L it would drive now my next question is what is different on the inside of the transfer cases that have a shifter and the button activated one can I get a button transfer case and use the parts to rebuild my transfer case I cant find one that's has a shifter there all button active

#8 ·
Transfer case

I take it you mean yours is a manual shift transfer case and all you can find is the electric shift ones with the switch on the dash. The cases aI believe are quite a bit different and you can not easily convert an electic into a manual.

Where are you located? I might be able to help find one if I knew what area of the country to look in.

#9 ·
im near Portland OR. the only two I can find they want 200-250$ and they have around 160,000 miles on them , at that price I would rather just buy a rebuild kit but if I can find one with less miles and not so much I would just swap them out and then rebuild mine when I have time. I hate having her sit in the driveway knowing that I cant just get in her and take off.

#12 ·
just had a guy from a auto parts store tell me about car-parts.com and I found several transfer cases the lowest prices are 150$ now im waiting to find out how much a rebuild kit is to see which direction im going to go . ill let you all know tomorrow thanks to everyone for the info

#17 ·
Get REAL pry bar that's larger. PB Blaster is your friend, or a torch if you have one.

#18 ·
Torch the grommet and and pick up a replacement at autozone (might want to get the replacement in hand first though). They have them in the help section from Dorman. Part number 14041 on Rock auto I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.