california, shool me on Catalytic converters - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 PM

Bronco Info: 90' mild mods. Aussie locker front. Eaton limited rear. full cage. sliders. 4.10's. 35's. 4" lift
CA can suck me!!! my stuff was legal for years and now it is not. I will never understand the system. bottom line is they wont be happy until they are ALL smashed in the junk yard, that is the end game IMO. I just pay a guy that pays a guy. good luck man

Remember...
Four boxes keep us free:
the soap box,
the ballot box,
the jury box,
and the cartridge box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 PM
Certified Asshat

Bronco Info: Dentside Bronco & '04 Excursion XLT
They took away the rolling "25-yrs of age" thing years and years ago.

The rule today is simple (albeit draconian):

If an engine was shipped from the factory with emissions controls of any kind, those controls must be present and in working order today. If any component is missing or inoperable, you fail.
post #63 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Bronco Info: 84' red white 4wd 351w c-6 Ford bronco
It's sad when they make you use ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY... I'm surprised Jurassic Park hasn't happened with the dinosaur stuff they make us install for smog. With that said there is a High Flow catalytic converter that you can buy that takes the place of two regular ones... not that they will let you take the place of two regular ones, but you can buy two high flow to pass the visual and then emissions would be a formality for your cat at that point.

post #64 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Certified Asshat

technically speaking, you could use that high flow catalytic converter. But in order to use it, the manufacturer would have to submit testing data showIng that it achieves exactly the same emissions reductions that the factory version did. that's not economically feasible for the manufacturers, so nobody bothers.
post #65 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
OK Bronco Fans, I just got back this morning from the DMV Referee and finally PASSED the damn smog test with I might add significantly lower numbers so here's what you "absolutely" need to know when replacing Catalytic Converters in California ......

They must be stamped with an E.O. = executive order number followed by the letter D xxx xxx and six digits meaning C.A.R.B approved or else YOU WILL FAIL A VISUAL INSPECTION, game over AND make sure you have a smog approved gas cap vs a locking cap which I had to throw away today to avoid a fail..... also FPR vaccum line needs to be black rubber vaccum style as well as your "purge canister" fuel line style.... I had replaced all my old plastic emissions vaccum lines with a kit from www.siliconeintakes.com so heads up.

I put on new cats because my 86 failed 5 smog tests and I wound up talking to a Bureau of Automotive Repair technician who looked over my failed tests and indicated it was likey the CATS not the engine causing the problem with HC, he informed me of this EO number so if you have anything else that's aftermarket not stamped with the EO on the CAT/S you've just thrown away a good chunk of money.

I got my CATS from Baja Muffler on 136th and Inglewood in Hawthornew CA so ask for Tony Fernandez, he charged me $450.00 cash and gave me the box lids with the EO numbers on them, the going price around town was $600-$650.00 plus tax, he's just up the road a bit and consults with the DMV Referee Station at El Camino College, Manhattan beach Blvd. entrance test site.

PS . you can find the EO numbers on the O'Reillys product data sheet and take it to a muffler shop and see if they can get the parts or you can buy them yourself and take them with you and see what installation cost you make for cash.......your call!

Good Luck ~
post #66 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:33 PM

I would love to get the high flow cats, but why does it have to make emissions like it did from the factory? Can't I get one that outperforms a factory one on the test? This is why I don't get this stuff.
post #67 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Certified Asshat

If it's better, then yes. You can use it... provided you prove empirically that it's better.

In God we trust. All others bring data.
post #68 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Cool thanks. I'll look into it!
post #69 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.8L automatic 4x4, 61mm BBK throttle body, 3" super 10 flowmaster muffler after stock y
Garage
I dont know if reinforcing old posts with new evidence is frowned upon, but today I walked into a "performance" smog shop just to first-hand verify... he said that I can have the best single cat ever made (for emissions) and the truck will still FAIL the visual inspection because the stock design has two cat converters, and CA demands it to retain such.

Honestly, CA should realize that with modern technology there are single cat's which are better for the environment and more efficient than the shitty one and two stage cat's they force us to use.

Short of having a custom exhaust system made, I dont think I can buy a y pipe with cat's now that pass CA's regulations.

I mean, I could get a good 3 stage pre-cat, and a hollowed out after cat with the bassani y pipe, but passing smog that way means I have to lie to the government and my local smog guy, a ridiculous and unnecessary although minor inconvenience.
You should not have to lie to make a performance enhancement that is actually better for the environment.

If it feels good, do it
1993 Bronco XLT 351w (SD)
61mm BBK throttlebody (portmatched)
K&N Truck Filter
Super 10 Flowmaster, stock Y and 2 Cat's
post #70 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:41 AM
Certified Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBronco View Post
I dont know if reinforcing old posts with new evidence is frowned upon, but today I walked into a "performance" smog shop just to first-hand verify... he said that I can have the best single cat ever made (for emissions) and the truck will still FAIL the visual inspection because the stock design has two cat converters, and CA demands it to retain such.

Honestly, CA should realize that with modern technology there are single cat's which are better for the environment and more efficient than the shitty one and two stage cat's they force us to use.

Short of having a custom exhaust system made, I dont think I can buy a y pipe with cat's now that pass CA's regulations.

I mean, I could get a good 3 stage pre-cat, and a hollowed out after cat with the bassani y pipe, but passing smog that way means I have to lie to the government and my local smog guy, a ridiculous and unnecessary although minor inconvenience.
You should not have to lie to make a performance enhancement that is actually better for the environment.
Dunno what year you have, so I'm surprised by the dual cats... most factory installations came with 1 (cost savings).

As for CARB, you're missing the big picture. First, the way the E.O. process works, you CAN get a catalyst through - provided you want to pay about $200k in testing, and hundreds of thousands more in durability demonstrations and warranty expenses... which will get you an E.O. only for the exact applications you demonstrated and not a single extra. You'll get it for the '78-79 400, but not the '80-'86 6.6L. You'll get it for Bronco, but not for the F-150. Why? Because you didn't demonstrate it in exactly that application. Or... go ahead and demonstrate those, too... for a few hundred thousand more.

The big picture is simple: the harder it is for you to comply with that old vehicle, the less likely you are to register it. Therefore, the air gets cleaner because you can't comply. You're forced to remove it from the state or destroy it. It's a win-win for them and there's very little you can do about it. We don't have a sunset provision anymore, unlike other states.

It's not a mistake.
It's not an oversight.

It's by design.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #71 of 71 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 5.8L automatic 4x4, 61mm BBK throttle body, 3" super 10 flowmaster muffler after stock y
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyweasel View Post
Dunno what year you have, so I'm surprised by the dual cats... most factory installations came with 1 (cost savings).

As for CARB, you're missing the big picture. First, the way the E.O. process works, you CAN get a catalyst through - provided you want to pay about $200k in testing, and hundreds of thousands more in durability demonstrations and warranty expenses... which will get you an E.O. only for the exact applications you demonstrated and not a single extra. You'll get it for the '78-79 400, but not the '80-'86 6.6L. You'll get it for Bronco, but not for the F-150. Why? Because you didn't demonstrate it in exactly that application. Or... go ahead and demonstrate those, too... for a few hundred thousand more.

The big picture is simple: the harder it is for you to comply with that old vehicle, the less likely you are to register it. Therefore, the air gets cleaner because you can't comply. You're forced to remove it from the state or destroy it. It's a win-win for them and there's very little you can do about it. We don't have a sunset provision anymore, unlike other states.

It's not a mistake.
It's not an oversight.

It's by design.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I got a 93 with a SD 351w. Dual cats after y pipe, to muffler, then dual 4' down pipes.
after my second cat, the exhaust measures 1.78 inches in diameter. meaning both my heads are pushing exhaust through this tiny ass little tube, and archaic cats.

I was just thinking they forgot about our generation of vehicles, and trying to make them "clean". But this makes more sense. I guess I was trying not to think from the perspective that they are out to get me!
That 200k is definitely not anywhere in my ballpark lol. I think it's time to go back up to Oregon!

If it's by design, I can almost understand it from their perspective, cleaner air better future. but there are so so so many nooks and crannies where CA gov is corrupt and just trying to deluge money out of its people, and make them comply to white-picket-universality. Some of us wont let our ponies go though, and I refuse to register it as a farm truck just to start her up on the weekends.

Thanks speedy!

If it feels good, do it
1993 Bronco XLT 351w (SD)
61mm BBK throttlebody (portmatched)
K&N Truck Filter
Super 10 Flowmaster, stock Y and 2 Cat's

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > West Coast Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode