california, shool me on Catalytic converters - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Yar

california, shool me on Catalytic converters

i am going to be redoing some of the exhaust on my bronco and i need to replace the Catalytic converter, and i would like to do it at the same time i do my summit shorty headers

so what im looking for and have not found threw the search function is

what do i need to make sure my bronco is legal in california(as far as the Catalytic converter) i know the stock cats are a 2 part system and i think that i can use one of the cats thats a 3 in 1 but im not sure

what have you used if you have changed yours, mine must be carb or dot legal, the 50 state approved for the nazis

thanks for the help

www.UC4X4.com California Bay Area 4x4 Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic Bronco View Post
i am going to be redoing some of the exhaust on my bronco and i need to replace the Catalytic converter, and i would like to do it at the same time i do my summit shorty headers

so what im looking for and have not found threw the search function is

what do i need to make sure my bronco is legal in california(as far as the Catalytic converter) i know the stock cats are a 2 part system and i think that i can use one of the cats thats a 3 in 1 but im not sure

what have you used if you have changed yours, mine must be carb or dot legal, the 50 state approved for the nazis

thanks for the help
im pretty sure you just change out the cats, as long as there are two in a row it's fine... and headers are OK of they are smog legal, and still Y pipe down into the two cats.., but i don tknow i'm just answering this question out of my ass.

-Ryan

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Yar

well i know my headers are 50 state legal

what i wana know is about the single cat part so i dont have to put both back in there

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 02:56 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic Bronco View Post
well i know my headers are 50 state legal

what i wana know is about the single cat part so i dont have to put both back in there
im pretty sure it will need both just for the visual.. of course, you could always just take one of your old cats, smash the insides out so it's just hallow... that would make it pass the visual.....

-Ryan

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Driving Stuff Henry Built

Bronco Info: -90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35" bfg m/t. --73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
There's some CA cat info in some of these from Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links.
Quote:

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links........................Common Replies to FAQs

“Don't find fault, find a remedy.” -Henry Ford
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:11 AM
I see Broncos

Bronco Info: 93 OJ Special 4" Lift 35s and a bunch of other junk.
If you install one high quality cat on your system you will be able to pass. From what I have been reading here is the single Catco threeway (9303) easily replaces the precats and cat.

Depositing random fluids around California, Nevada and Arizona since 1999.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Yar

El Kabong thank you very much, i completely forgot about thoes and for some reason they didnt come up in my search

Froggmann, based on the bits and pieces of information ive come up with i think thats corect but im not 100% sure and when i looked that part number up on summit it comes back saying that its not california legal

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 04:08 AM

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco XLT 5.8L
Hey, I redid my whole exhaust and passed. I got a K&N FIPK, BBK throttle body, JBA Headers, Bassani Y pipe, 1 of those catco cats, flowmaster 40, turndowns.

It passed with flying colors and they didn't say anything about just being 1 cat. I think as long as they see a cat under there, that is good enough for them.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:48 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A

Bronco Info: '87 XLT, new crate 5.0, rebuilt AOD, new 31"s, new Warn Premiums, all stock w/125K original miles
Here's my little Cali smog story from last summer.............

Smog time, Cali style.......
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6
I have 2 cats and my neighbor has 1.. We both pass..

Though my smog guy doesn't even look under the truck.. So I guess I'm lucky.. :)

Vic - W6VIC
1978 Ranger Bronco XLT 400/C6 with only 33's =(
2001 F250 - 6" SL. 37" tires Goliath
2007 Yamaha R1 Ricochet
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 AM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A

Bronco Info: '87 XLT, new crate 5.0, rebuilt AOD, new 31"s, new Warn Premiums, all stock w/125K original miles
When I failed my first smog test and the tech ('suggested' that it was possibly my converter) I stopped off at the first muffler shop I saw, just to get some ideas (cuz I've never before dealt with cats until this truck). Anyways the muffler shop guy ran my numbers thru his books and told me that I was supposed to have 2 cats on my truck, not just one. He gave me a price of like $650.00 or something to install 2 new cats (aqnd no new muffy). So I told him thanks and came back to FSB and did some research which pointed me to the Catco Hi-Flow cat for like $55.00. So after it showed up at the house I installed it using only short 3" x 3" pipe adapters, some cool 3" stainless steel flexible hose and a bunch of 3" muffy pipe clamps. Went back the next day and passed with flying colors............
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco xlt. 302, AOD. Dana 44 SAS. ruffstuff "y" steering deaver coils,
just weld them to a flang and onlt put them on when you smog it
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 XLT (project), 351w powered by Edelbrock 33's on the dirt
Interesting.... I dropped my 84 FSB 5.8L off a the shop yesterday after I installed my CARB legal Hedman Shorty Headers to get the a Y- Pipe, cat and Flowmaster 40 installed, and it originally had 2 the cats, from what the tech said with a single OBD II cat (new cats have a plate thats required by an EO for identification purpose) I would be Calif legal and pass smog.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Master Bater

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 4 sticks and 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhauf View Post
im pretty sure you just change out the cats, as long as there are two in a row it's fine... and headers are OK of they are smog legal, and still Y pipe down into the two cats.., but i don tknow i'm just answering this question out of my ass.
if you DONT KNOW, DONT ANSWER. "i guess" or "someone" told me on the internet doesnt work when you are dealing with laws.

The answer is you need a particular KIND of converter. The laws are changing, and NOX in particualr is getting lower. The (general) reason that we have two cats is that one works for hydrocarbons (pre-cat, prior to air injection) and one works on NOX (secondary cat, after the injection). A single cat will not work UNLESS it has an air injection tube in the middle of it. It thereby works the same as two cats, just into one single CAT body. Each manufcturor has their own part number, and these cats are not 50 bucks like is commonly told here. you need to verify that it has the PROPER elements in it.

If you have an aftermarket Y pipe such as bassani, or the like, you CAN NOT use the injection tube prior to the cat any longer. This again, is a RECENT change, and will continue get tougher over the next year or two.

ANDY351 recently posted the proper CAT number for a particular brand, so ask him.

Stupid is as Stupid does

mostly a 94 Bronco
wt4wheeling
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by plug ugly View Post
if you DONT KNOW, DONT ANSWER. "i guess" or "someone" told me on the internet doesnt work when you are dealing with laws.

The answer is you need a particular KIND of converter. The laws are changing, and NOX in particualr is getting lower. The (general) reason that we have two cats is that one works for hydrocarbons (pre-cat, prior to air injection) and one works on NOX (secondary cat, after the injection). A single cat will not work UNLESS it has an air injection tube in the middle of it. It thereby works the same as two cats, just into one single CAT body. Each manufcturor has their own part number, and these cats are not 50 bucks like is commonly told here. you need to verify that it has the PROPER elements in it.

If you have an aftermarket Y pipe such as bassani, or the like, you CAN NOT use the injection tube prior to the cat any longer. This again, is a RECENT change, and will continue get tougher over the next year or two.

ANDY351 recently posted the proper CAT number for a particular brand, so ask him.
You're correct. They're $55.00..............

post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Bronco Info: MOPAR POWER
55$ 3in catco from e-bay / i used air tube in cat , blocked off the y pipe tube (was for the duel set up.
post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Master Bater

Bronco Info: 4 wheels, 4 sticks and 3 pedals
thats a good price through ebay.

Stupid is as Stupid does

mostly a 94 Bronco
wt4wheeling
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 AM

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco XLT 5.8L
yeah i got em linked here in the first post...they are like 57 shipped:
Just ordered Bassani Y and Hi-Flow Cat
post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, K&N, Gibson Exhaust, 6L Tuneup
i just had mine smogged 2 weeks ago... i ran my plans on the 1 cat replacing 2 by him and he said that as of jan. 1st i would only be able to replace 2 cats with 2 cats that had carb #'s... i did find some info on the magnaflow website:
http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp

now im thinking of getting an offroad pipe and just unbolting my current setup and putting it back on in two more years...
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400/C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd2008 View Post
now im thinking of getting an offroad pipe and just unbolting my current setup and putting it back on in two more years...
That's what I do.

Vic - W6VIC
1978 Ranger Bronco XLT 400/C6 with only 33's =(
2001 F250 - 6" SL. 37" tires Goliath
2007 Yamaha R1 Ricochet

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > West Coast Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode