Off Road Trip - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 87 5.0 long travel king shocks deaver springs, cut and turned DRe 96 front end trailer glass,+++
Off Road Trip

I am in so cal and looking for others that want to do a death valley or Mojave Road pretty soon.

Its my Constitutional right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT , 5.8, E40D
Garage
I would be down for this in a little while. In the process of getting the Bronco road ready. But, I will keep a look out.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 02:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco 5.8
Same here.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 06:53 PM

Bronco Info: 91 EB saved from 4 years sitting in a driveway in the bakersfield heat
What part of socal you in? And would you be making a run on the weekend or during the week? I'm in Bakersfield and may be able to take off on a Wed, thur, or Fri.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:27 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco
Do the Southpark - Pleasant Canyon loop in the Panamint Mountains.
91FordGuy likes this.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 87 5.0 long travel king shocks deaver springs, cut and turned DRe 96 front end trailer glass,+++
I am in Buena Park in the OC and was looking at a midweek Wed. start. I was thinking those cabins may be vacant. I could meet up with you on the way out there you are much closer. I am looking to make a run this week.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

If you other guys are looking to run this week or even meet up in the dirt at a spot. I am not set in stone on the Butte Valley cabin run but my idea was to go up Gohler canyon over Mengal into Butte Valley. I am happy just to get out on a decent length run.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 05:16 AM

Bronco Info: 1987 5.0 XLT
Let me know when your gonna go on the drive. Estoy en West Covina. i would love to take the bronco out on a trip soon!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM

Bronco Info: 1981 4 inch lift w/35s. Built 300/T-19. Sliding Windows. Front&Rear Bumpers. Rock Sliders. Dual Batt
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Do the Southpark - Pleasant Canyon loop in the Panamint Mountains.
x2 !!! This trail was fun when we ran it in the spring time. Hot at the bottom and cool at the top. Really cool trail. Bring your brass pair for that wood bridge
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91FordGuy View Post
x2 !!! This trail was fun when we ran it in the spring time. Hot at the bottom and cool at the top. Really cool trail. Bring your brass pair for that wood bridge
Just got back from a trip. Went up to Briggs camp from Balorat. It goes into south park but the book I had said I was too heavy and wide. Stayed in the adopt a cabin. Camped in the Trona Pinnicles too.
91FordGuy likes this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:59 AM
Fullsize Member

I've been over the bridge numerous times in my 79' and never had an issue with it and that was before they reinforced the bridge.

How was the trail up to Briggs, I heard the lower half of the trail has some bad washout in places. I haven't been up there in years and a group of us keep talking of going.

3G Alt. Upgrade, Duel Batteries, 351M bored .030 over with Edlebrock cam and intake, C-6 w/AO4D internals, 3" lift w/RS 9000, 33x12.50 MTR's, Saginaw PS Pump Conversion, On Board Air, Detroit Locker, Hydro Boost Brake System, Altimeter from a CH-46D, Map Light from a MH-53E.

U. S. Government - Wasting paper and keeping Lumber Jacks gainfully employed since 1776.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Bronco Info: 1981 4 inch lift w/35s. Built 300/T-19. Sliding Windows. Front&Rear Bumpers. Rock Sliders. Dual Batt
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I've been over the bridge numerous times in my 79' and never had an issue with it and that was before they reinforced the bridge.
They reinforced it? The 4x4 books always describe it as worse than it really is but my '81 went over it fine.. with just a few creaking noises.

Hey @birch , how were those little waterfalls leading up to the cabin? Some challenging or mostly easy?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 09:51 PM
Fullsize Member

I've talked to the people the maintain the cabins and they reinforced the bridge a couple of years ago by adding the decking on to it, they do inspect the bridge on a regular basis and perform any repairs/maintenance as needed.

Don't know how old or up to date trail books are, most I've read are about 5-6 years old on trail information.
91FordGuy likes this.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

The road up was definite 4x4 loose rock on loose e rock a few semi washed out sections with steep drops off the side. The canyon was not bad the waterfall sections no problem. The Cabin was cool I stayed in the Stone cabin on the rock. Little firing range from the deck. It has speakers outside and daytime temp was warm. and the wood stoves kept it warm at night. I asked a couple people about the other side. I got iffy answers to in my Bronco was too wide. Backing up with a truck full of gear with just me and my chick sounded like a possibility i did not want.

Went to the Trona Pinnacles too. That was trippy and had some very tame roads and some fun high speed desert roads with whoop and sand sections. Camped there and road my pitbike around killed some cans.

Drove a ways home on the powerline road. My fresh HID 55w headlight upgrade and Hella 700ff HID conversions were a huge difference. Picked up some driveshaft vibration from my double cardon bearing and ordered a new rear shaft from JBG.

Looking to run the Mojave Road soon while the gas is cheap.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 PM

Hope someone could share some pics or video...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 12:24 PM
Fullsize Member

Pictures from a prior trip to the Panamint Mountains -

Panamint Mountains

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 PM

Thanks! Surely looks fun specially the off road trails and driving experience.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 06:03 AM
Fullsize Member

Every trail book I've ever read has Southpark Canyon rated in the EXTREME category. This is mainly because of the short section of the trail above Brigg's Camp that includes the infamous bridge and Chicken Corner, they will defiantly make your a$$hole pucker up. All the other trails in the Panamint Mountains are pretty easy although Golar Wash can be nasty at times, especially after a heavy rain. If you value the paint job on your Bronco, stay out of Pleasant Canyon as the brush is really thick in some areas and has been know to steal your chrome and mirrors and give you new pin stripping.

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

I am going to do the Mojave road for Easter if anyone is interested. I have a short video on you tube
from briggs coming down.
PJCHANNING likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > West Coast Chapter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode