Happy 4:20!!! Marijuana Legalization cuts accross party lines. - Ford Bronco Forum
 70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
Happy 4:20!!! Marijuana Legalization cuts accross party lines.

Marijuana legalization support at all-time high
Last Updated Apr 20, 2017 11:57 AM EDT
By Jennifer De Pinto, Fred Backus, Kabir Khanna and Anthony Salvanto
(Marijuana legalization support at all-time high - CBS News)

A recent CBS News poll shows support for legalizing marijuana is higher than ever.

Sixty-one percent of Americans think marijuana use should be legal, a five-point increase from last year and the highest percentage ever recorded in this poll. Eighty-eight percent favor medical marijuana use.

Seventy-one percent oppose the federal government’s efforts to stop marijuana sales and its use in states that have legalized it, including opposition from most Republicans, Democrats, and independents.

Sixty-five percent think marijuana is less dangerous than most other drugs. And only 23 percent think legalizing marijuana leads to an increase violent crime.

More generally on the topic of drug abuse, 69 percent think that should be treated as an addiction and mental health problem rather than a criminal offense.

Marijuana legalization support over the years:

Support for legal marijuana continues to climb

The belief that pot should be legal has reached a new high in CBS News polls. Sixty-one percent of Americans now say the it should be, a five-point increase from a year ago. This sentiment has increased each year we’ve measured it since 2013, with the turning point to majority support coming in 2014. Back in 1979, this poll found just 27 percent saying it should be legal.

Those over 65 are the most opposed to legalization, but most under age 65 support it. And women are now as much in favor of legal marijuana as men are; in previous years they were less so.

Many states have legalized pot in some form, and most Americans don’t think the federal government should try to stop its sale and use in those states. Even among those who think marijuana should be illegal, only half think the federal government should get involved with the states.

This sentiment cuts across party lines: Majorities of Republicans (63 percent), Democrats (76 percent), and independents (72 percent) oppose the federal government trying to stop marijuana use in these states.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has asserted a connection between marijuana and violent crime, but few Americans see it that way: just 23 percent think legalizing pot increases violent crime, while nearly as many think legal marijuana decreases it.

Marijuana compared to alcohol and other drugs

Generally, most Americans think habitual drug use should be treated as an addiction problem rather than a criminal offense. Even most Americans who oppose legalizing marijuana think so. Majorities of Republicans, Democrats, and independents all agree.

Most Americans view marijuana in particular as safer than alcohol.

And most Americans also think marijuana is less dangerous than most other drugs, particularly those who say they have tried it.

There continues to be wide support for allowing doctors to prescribe small amounts of marijuana for patients suffering from serious illnesses: 88 percent of Americans think this should be allowed – similar to a year ago. Even most Americans who oppose legalizing marijuana in general think medical marijuana use should be allowed.

Who supports it, and who’s tried it?

Support for legalization has risen among all age groups – particularly those under 55. Americans under 35 show the strongest support. Three in four adults between 18 and 34 support legal marijuana use, as do six in 10 Americans between 35 and 64. Seniors remain the one age group for whom a majority still think marijuana use should be against the law.

There are partisan differences. Most Democrats and independents increasingly think marijuana use should be legal, while Republicans are divided.

The percentage of Americans who say they have personally tried marijuana has risen over the past twenty years. Now half of Americans say they have tried it, similar to a year ago, though up from a third who said they did in 1997.

Though support for legalized marijuana use has increased among women, most women say they still haven’t tried marijuana (most men say they have). Most Americans under 65 say they have tried it, while just a quarter of seniors 65 and older have. Independents are a little more likely to have tried it than either Democrats or Republicans.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:00 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Great argument - I am sure all parents are excited to know it will be socially acceptable for their kids to not only be drunk, but also high!

Forget wanting your kid to be a doctor, lawyer, astronaut or engineer!

Son, one day I hope you can grow up and have the freedom to get high wherever and whenever you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CDA 455 likes this.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
Great argument - I am sure all parents are excited to know it will be socially acceptable for their kids to not only be drunk, but also high!

Son, one day I hope you can grow up and have the freedom to get high wherever and whenever you want!
Do you tell your son that you hope he grows up to a be a drunkard or teach him how to develop stage 4 lung cancer through smoking? Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's automatically an appealing life choice for someone. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't pole dance and I raised my daughter not to either. I'm not going to buy her a bong for Christmas if it ever becomes legal in the bible/diabetes belt that I live in.

More power to the 420 crowd. As soon as the gov't has come up to speed on how to tax it across the board and at multiple points, we'll see a widespread adoption. I couldn't personally care less but it seems to be a very important thing to quite a few people and I don't think it's any more harmful than alcohol so smoke 'em if you've got 'em if that's your bag.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
Quote:
Yea... parenting is hard. People being too lazy or ineffective as parents is a great reason to keep jailing hundreds of thousands of otherwise law abiding, non-violent citizens of the freest nation on the planet.
States that have legalized marijuana for recreational use have seen a drop in use among youth. Great argument? No need. The facts are out, the debate is over. Ignorance has lost. Get with the program or get out of the way.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/32" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
I'm just concerned with the long term effects of this legalization of marijuana. Tobacco started out with it just being rolled in paper just decades ago, and is now filled with cancer causing crap. Now we're trying to have this garbage weened out of society, but Big Tobacco is making this almost impossible. It's kinda ironic how the same young people who are for legalizing weed is the same group demonizing tobacco use and saying corporations are using young people for profit. Is this the same group decades ago that would've defended tobacco?

I'd prefer to keep it illegitimate and out of the hands of corporations, which weed will end up in the coming years.

I've smoked my share of weed but I'm concerned about unforeseen consequences.
dash_cam and klh95bronco like this.

post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
those are legit concerns and I share them as well. problem is... we either get on the bus and help guide it's direction or we end up underneath it.

I just can't wrap my head around freedom loving conservatives who claim they are all about freedom, until you want to do something they don't agree with. hypocrisy at it's finest. regulate the piss out of it and you will basically be handing it over to big pharma, big tobacco and greedy politicians.
same as tobacco. just drop the federal scheduling of marijuana and let those who know it, grow it and use it... as free Americans.

nobody on any side of the debate thinks children should be able to use marijuana, with the only known exception being children with dire, medical needs and even then only under a doctors authorization and ongoing monitored treatment. Reefer Madness is still alive and well, I see.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1991 XLT/351w/E4OD/3" lift/4.56/32" tires/LS FR+RR
Garage
This has turned into a money grab for politicians representing states and municipalities who are broke or see broke in their future or who want to create more government handouts so they can get re-elected.

The states who have legalized marijuana are democrat controlled (tell me if I'm wrong). I'm a libertarian at heart and I just can't see big government antilibertarian democrats voting to give people this kind of freedom unless they actually saw big dollar signs. I don't think their was a cost/benefit analysis given to this idea. Money prevailed and will always prevail.
Spearfish likes this.

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:22 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1995 5.8 &1993 5.8 both sold, all the way back with a 94
I'm puffin these usb rechargeables, the battery vaps put less carcinogens in the lungs, takes away the smells with smoking weed, and is more powerful. Instant relaxation..
BikerPepe` and wyatt earp like this.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W • E4OD • 4" lift • TRE flip • 130 amp 3G Alt • Saginaw P.S.• BFG MT KM2 315 75 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by makersneat View Post
This has turned into a money grab for politicians representing states and municipalities who are broke or see broke in their future or who want to create more government handouts so they can get re-elected.

The states who have legalized marijuana are democrat controlled (tell me if I'm wrong). I'm a libertarian at heart and I just can't see big government antilibertarian democrats voting to give people this kind of freedom unless they actually saw big dollar signs. I don't think their was a cost/benefit analysis given to this idea. Money prevailed and will always prevail.

I voted against it for that reason, and I smoke occasionally

I would have preferred decriminalization of the herb, but there isn't any...um...er.....wait...........what was I saying?....Hmmm...oh yeah..Like I was say....no wait.....yeah, no.........hmmm........well, it'll come to me later......
BikerPepe` likes this.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:41 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
This stuff needs to be made legal for medical us across all 50 states. The health benefits far out weigh the negatives.

Just remember Your chances of any type of lung cancer from it are greatly reduced when you eat the stuff in edibles.

If states want to make it legal for recreational usage, so be it. But Medical. Please!
BikerPepe` and 445 FE Bronco like this.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
Medical is a must, Recreational... like many, I'm far from happy about the state of things as they are going to go. Like Rico and to the surprise of many, many people I know... I was also against the recreational bill in Washington. Not because I'm against legalization but because it was poorly written, terribly handled and threw medical patients under the bus.

I certainly wouldn't advocate voting up anything that comes down the pike. Apparently, common sense needs to be spelled out these days. That's how we got stuck with crap laws in WA. Rather than do it smart, our morons voted for the first thing they could get. I would warn everyone considering legalization to do it, but to do it right. Ideally, the feds will step back and let the states handle it appropriately. Until then... it's like wrestling alligators with one hand tied behind your back. Power and Greed are strong adversaries and government hates competition but we are supposed to be a nation of free and freedom loving individuals.

Get past the reefer madness and get involved so your state doesn't get the same serving of crap-ass control freaks as ours. It's going to happen... sit on the sidelines and have no right to bitch when you get stuck with the corporate results, or step up, notify your representatives and get the legislation you want to see. Too many remain silent and get what they deserve, instead of what's actually best for those who need medical and those coming behind, that will be too late to stop the big machine that's in the making as you read these words.

Oh well.... enough with the bummer talk.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em fellas and I wish you all a most happy 4:20
puff, puff... pass!
makersneat likes this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
i feel like you should start here, although maybe not b/c it'll probably be the hardest to change. but if you want to do it "right" then start here.

https://www.dea.gov/druginfo/ds.shtml

Schedule I

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:

heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote

that's right, marijuana is considered more dangerous than cocaine and methamphetamine. (both schedule 2)

you let drug companies have reason to think there'd be money in it, and they'll start researching the full capacity of the medicinal marijuana.

yesterday i was listening to a local radio station. the radio host (very old guy, has chronic physical problems with his back, hip, and leg) said that he receives prescription drugs for his pain, and that helps. but when it's really bad, he has some lozenges from a friend in a medicinal marijuana state that really make the biggest difference. and on top of that, he does not get stoned. he said they've cut out the part that makes you stoned and only leave the part that helps with the pain.

i found 2 things interesting there.
1) i didn't realize medicinal marijuana had come that far. that's impressive.
2) the radio host admitted to using marijuana on the radio, in a state that it is completely illegal. i checked the company's website but couldn't find anything about being a drug fee employer. maybe they aren't. but i think it's a sign of the times that a radio host could openly talk about using illegal drugs and have no fear of repercussion.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
I wish people would fight this hard for things like stopping excessive taxation and various other government over reaches.

I just can't see all this energy going into making it legal for people to be a bunch of stoners (real medical requirements aside).

RicoBronco likes this.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W • E4OD • 4" lift • TRE flip • 130 amp 3G Alt • Saginaw P.S.• BFG MT KM2 315 75 16
Garage
Quote:
I wish people would fight this hard for things like stopping excessive taxation and various other government over reaches.

I just can't see all this energy going into making it legal for people to be a bunch of stoners (real medical requirements aside).

I do agree, but I would also add that the Federal Govt's position of classifying Weed with Heroin is a government over reach.

And the Government made it illegal for people to be drunks once, and it didn't go well... that was called Prohibition.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Garage
Quote:

probably because you've never had anyone you love go through a swat team raid or sere federal prison time. as I said... this isn't just about getting stoned. never has been for me. I do what I want when I want and I consider it civil disobedience. point being... the laws never stopped anyone from getting high if that's what they wanted to do. for me... it's always been about the abuse of freedom and the injustice of laws throwing (literally) hundreds of thousands of people in jail, stealing their property and ruining their lives... over smoking a damn weed for solid and legit medical reasons (as proven now my multiple studies) or just to relax a little bit at the end of a long day, the same as most would crack open a beer.
johnnyk8 and makersneat like this.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:35 PM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
Fawking idiots are going the wrong way..

State lawmakers try again to close Wyoming's marijuana edible loophole | Wyoming Politics | trib.com

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I wasn't gonna say it but it was a good day for me LOL.
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:03 AM

Bronco Info: 1987- carb'd 351- C6, stock height
The problem is that people always take it too far. In Colorado it is illegal to consume in public, yet every time I go into Manitou Springs I find unwashed folks toking up and dancing in the streets, and thousands were doing it on 4/20. People use to have the decency to use it privately. And I don't understand how there were not mass citations issued during 4/20- would have made the state more money then on the taxes....
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosarge77 View Post
The problem is that people always take it too far. In Colorado it is illegal to consume in public, yet every time I go into Manitou Springs I find unwashed folks toking up and dancing in the streets, and thousands were doing it on 4/20. People use to have the decency to use it privately. And I don't understand how there were not mass citations issued during 4/20- would have made the state more money then on the taxes....

I've been to manitou springs several times and by the looks of those you described, I doubt they would ever pay the citation!

broncosarge77 likes this.

post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 11:13 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
I suppose I could throw my two cents worth on the benefits for me, I have had diabetes, bipolar, severe depression, anger issues and arthritis for all my life. I was also diagnosed with gastro peresis, rhumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and had two years of throat ablasions and went through a bought of cancer due to my Barrett's disease in my throat. I also due to my own stupidity have a lot of injury like broken bones, torn repaired ligaments, two shoulder operations and a back operation. Add spinal stenosis and I am a mess. I cannot take pain pills, been in pain all my life and ran my own business. The only way I lived this long was self medicating. I used to drink but it made me sick and added to the already intolerable pain so I quit about 10 years ago. I started smoking when I was about 12 recreationally. Through the years with my mental and medical issues along with I cannot eat I literally would have waisted away 20 years ago. I use it to function not to just party, fortunately I never got in any trouble with possession. I have done enough stupid shit to make up for that.
BikerPepe` likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Other Forums > Anything Else > News, Politics and Special Interest

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode