Engine Tear Down Rack - need ideas - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
Engine Tear Down Rack - need ideas

I've googled like crazy but I haven't had much luck finding a solution, so I'm turning to the power of FSB... please help me.

I Need a better way for the kids to tear down engines, presently they share metal tables to spread the parts out on. Not so bad for one engine but when you get a group of 20 kids on 10 engines... well they don't go back to gather with the same parts. And its messy as hell.

I know they make plastic trays for the valve train, but what about pistons, cranks, main/rod bearings?

I need some solutions I can either buy or make, to turn this into an effect learning experience. What do those tech course use for engine building?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
http://www.pitpal.com/products/Pisto...V8-713-36.html

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Bronco, 5.8, E40D, Dana 44 SAS, 4.88 gears. 35" SuperSwampers
I came across that in my travels, not a bad for the pistons but still.

Last edited by bossind; 08-04-2009 at 12:18 PM.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
gone fish'n

build on it.

you have a basic idea to use. Now add something to hold the bearings.

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
gone fish'n

make it a little longer. maybe use some PVC pipe cut lenth wise for the bearings along side each piston on the botton rack.

labeled as such. maybe make a top tray which would hold the mains. since the mains are in before the block before the pistons, and are the last thing pulled out.

Let's Go Fishing.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
make it a little longer. maybe use some PVC pipe cut lenth wise for the bearings along side each piston on the botton rack.

labeled as such. maybe make a top tray which would hold the mains. since the mains are in before the block before the pistons, and are the last thing pulled out.
The first one to build might be fun but the other 9 would suck. Rather find something more complete.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Some assembly required!

Bronco Info: 90 EB, 351W, E40D, D60 SAS, 10.25 rear, ARB's front & back, indellible Cheerwine stain in carpet
Did they take that pic with a cell phone? I've seen clearer pics of Big Foot.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM
gone fish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossind View Post
I need some solutions I can either buy or make, to turn this into an effect learning experience. What do those tech course use for engine building?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossind View Post
The first one to build might be fun but the other 9 would suck. Rather find something more complete.

sounds to me your going to turn this into a learning expierence and make the class make the other 9 trays.

Let's Go Fishing.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
press ALT+F4

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco with motor, axles and stuff
rubbermaid totes and each motor has a different color can of spay paint to mark the parts with?

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Wrenching for a Livin'

Bronco Info: '85 Ford Bronco XLT.
At my school we only have wood top work tables to put everything on. And we have to mark everything as it comes out, or mostly note the marks. Usually our teachers will screw with what we have laid out so we can't just put it back together in reverse of how we dissasembled it.

Actually in manual transmission class after we had the entire thing laying on a bench in pieces our teacher came around to each table, jumbled everything up and added extra parts. Then we left for the weekend. I learn A LOT it that class.

Basically what im saying....maybe its better if everything isn't exactly orderly, because it rarley ever is in a garage.

Altough a small stand to hold the crank would have been nice...and something to keep the pushrods in order.

My SuperFord
'85 Bronco......
Welded 14 bolt, HPKingpin D60 w/ lockright, ZF5, NP205, 4.88 gears, SMPFI 393 w/ EDIS(gufx strat), Chevy 52s Front, Inboarded Chevy 63s Rear, DOM heim steering, DOM cage, Saginaw pump, 3/8" fuel system, 200amp 3G Alternator....

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck Technician
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Enjoy my

Bronco Info: '01 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
sounds to me your going to turn this into a learning expierence and make the class make the other 9 trays.
Would actually be a good learning experience-if you don't have the ideal tool, improvise for a better one.

If you want you could have that be a project in and of itself-give them basic materials and a list of goals (or not depending on the level of the class and pre requisites) and see what you could back. I am sure they could teach us a thing or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.
Quote:
Please note that we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an "unsatisfactory" mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco - 466 - D60 Kingpin & 14-Bolt - 38.5" Boggers Double Beadlocked
I've never been in a mechanic's learning environment/classroom, but have taught Biology for 3 years and a lab tech for 3 years at Indiana University. We used carts. In my brother's garage, where I do most of my wrenching, we have quite a few carts and are working on quite a few projects at the same time and the carts keep everything seperate and organized... (Not 10 projects, but a 78 BKO 460 build, BKO II 22R Turbo build, rock crawler 472 30over build, S10 350 build, 89 351w build, Bayou build, and a go cart build. Kinda hard to keep the stuff seperated without the carts.)

I guess space for a bunch of carts would definately be a factor. Also, budget, there are quite a few nice work space carts on the market such as the SnapOn ones. All of ours were bought at different industrial auctions over the years and either used as is, or modified to fit our needs.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 PM
shibby

How about buying these cheap 18x30 carts when they go on sale-

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5107

Cut the top tray to be able to drop the pistons through.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '78 Bronco - 466 - D60 Kingpin & 14-Bolt - 38.5" Boggers Double Beadlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustball View Post
How about buying these cheap 18x30 carts when they go on sale-

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=5107

Cut the top tray to be able to drop the pistons through.
At 39.99 each, I might have to get a few more.

I have a couple of carts like this one. I did weld a frame of angle iron to them to take out the flimsiness, they work great and have held up. I also changed one of the carts like this one by swapping 2 of the castors with locking type and 2 with swivel type castors. Got a big box of castors at an auction a few years back and have definately got my money out of them.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:03 AM
shibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblackwater View Post
At 39.99 each, I might have to get a few more.

I have a couple of carts like this one. I did weld a frame of angle iron to them to take out the flimsiness, they work great and have held up. I also changed one of the carts like this one by swapping 2 of the castors with locking type and 2 with swivel type castors. Got a big box of castors at an auction a few years back and have definately got my money out of them.
They're currently on sale in the stores at $34.99. Wait till the weekend and you can use a 20% off coupon on it and end up paying $28.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Cart is the best idea thus far. Trying to also keep the mess to a control.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
I would go with the carts. They can be easily marked for identification which could be assigned for each student for the year and they are on wheels so they can easily be moved around. You could also tack in some walls for various compartments if you wish, or add another shelf in there.

there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people.
Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying
No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:53 AM
shibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
I would go with the carts. They can be easily marked for identification which could be assigned for each student for the year and they are on wheels so they can easily be moved around. You could also tack in some walls for various compartments if you wish, or add another shelf in there.
Could even use dry erase markers to write notes on the sides.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 06:09 PM
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!

Bronco Info: 88 EB custom dents, and rust.
Garage
we used a work bench in my engines class...which the bottom half was metal, and the top was wooden. it had small drawers going across the top and two sliding doors on the bottom going from side to side. So pretty much 3 levels of storage.

boss, do you have these?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/.../2514394_L.jpg

Not to sure what to put in my signature anymore.

1988 Ford Bronco EB - 2010 Chevy Malibu - 2009 Cannondale Six5 - 2013 FELT F75X
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ric View Post
we used a work bench in my engines class...which the bottom half was metal, and the top was wooden. it had small drawers going across the top and two sliding doors on the bottom going from side to side. So pretty much 3 levels of storage.

boss, do you have these?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/.../2514394_L.jpg
Not yet, but will be getting some.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode