Rodan's rear bumper build - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1992 EB 5.8L, 4" lift, 33x11.50-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGOLTEX View Post
This may be the most useful thing I have read all day. Great tip!
It really did work out pretty well... glad I decided on that little design quirk.

"The welfare of the people has long been the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Use the Force...

Bronco Info: 1988 Eddie Bauer; 5.0L AOD; 3" suspension lift w/33x12.50 KOs. '77 F100 Custom, step side, restoring
Just checking, thanks!

'88 Eddie Bauer, '98 5.0L w/GT40p heads, HD AOD, 130A 3G, 3" suspension w/33x12.50KOs, Tow Package.
Porkchop Express' Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=279266
Blacksheep 2/75
R.L.T.W.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Garage
i love it! I think i want to copy you 100% with the roof rack and all. i just need a tube bender. so only thing that concerns me is you flipping you 2" receiver. it is designed to hold the weight the other way. It may not be as strong that way.. I have been wondering what to do with mine since it is like yours.. maybe you could test it out with a nice heave trailer and get back to us :)

4.9 (300) 1990 bronco with 33s, rampage soft top, warn winch, dice on the valve stems, 8 ball on the transfer shifter, and skull on the 5 speed shifter.

post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 11:05 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Round headlight, 351M,C6, 9", 44/1991, 445 FE, t19, 205, Dana 60/70, MAF, Moet's
Garage
Man I wish my welds looked that good, they hold but takes a grinder to look good.
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
i love it! I think i want to copy you 100% with the roof rack and all. i just need a tube bender. so only thing that concerns me is you flipping you 2" receiver. it is designed to hold the weight the other way. It may not be as strong that way.. I have been wondering what to do with mine since it is like yours.. maybe you could test it out with a nice heave trailer and get back to us :)
Well, the force is in the same plane, just the opposite direction. I do understand what you're getting at, but I don't believe it would be a problem. The force is distributed across the six mounting bolts in exactly the same way. The force applied to the welds that attach the receiver to the crossbar are inverted, but I don't see how it would be weaker in that direction.

I did pull the trailer on the previous page around the block with it...

Quote:
Man I wish my welds looked that good, they hold but takes a grinder to look good.
Thanks. I'm by no means an expert welder. Best advice I can give is make sure your metal is as clean as you can get it, and get the settings on the welder right, which just takes knowing your machine, and practice.

post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 PM

Looks good any more progress.
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjjunk View Post
any more progress.

Way too much other crap going on right now with the track car, tow rig, trailer, and camper. I hope to be back on the Bronco in the Fall with some new fab projects...

post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 01:04 AM

Bronco Info: 1996, 5.0 full size... Not sure what else to put yet
New to the site. I've had my 96 for 3 almost 4 years now and had to remove my front bumper after the previous owners bent it in. New ties rubbed so I couldn't have that!

Picked up a diamond plated bed tool box from the trash in wonderful condition and have considered using that to fab up a new front!

I started off on your thread of the front bumper, was curious and ...you did! You made a rear! ! ?

I don't have any fab experience but I have welded for three years and used to work as a machinest so I'm hoping a little bit of industrial experience helps.

Long story short you have given me purpose and inspiration that it can be done! ! ! Thank you and I hope to be able to come to you and the rest of this site for guidance! Definitely a ton of professionals here!

I'm done now... ???
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

I wouldn't call myself a professional by any stretch... But thanks!

I actually built the rear first, then the front. And, as an update to the thread, 1" round tube dies for my bender should be here this week, so I hope to finish the gas can carrier later this summer.

Still haven't finished the engine swap in the '92 Miata, but I did get the tow rig, camper and trailer dialed in to haul the '13 Miata to a track event in CO in August...

Once we're back from that, it's full speed ahead on the engine swap, then I can start working on the Bronco again. 1st up is finishing the bumper, then it's roof rack time...
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Black Bronco, 2.5 inch RC lift, 32x11.5 BFG AT on stock wheels, custom true dual exhaust
I'm going to basically be building the same bumper (hope you don't mind me copying your design) and was wondering what thickness all your metal was.
I don't want to get too heavy or too light of metal.
Thanks,
Garrick
post #91 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHunter.280 View Post
I'm going to basically be building the same bumper (hope you don't mind me copying your design) and was wondering what thickness all your metal was.
I don't want to get too heavy or too light of metal.
Thanks,
Garrick
As mentioned a couple of times in the thread, IIRC it's 3/16".

Just returned from 8 days in Utah hiking Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. The camper and tow rig worked great.

I did run it across a certified scale at a truck stop... total weight 20,200lbs!

Saw some beautiful country, and had a great time.

I'm really hoping to get the Bronco up to the Moab area next year... maybe when the Phoenix guys go. Still need to beg, borrow, or buy an open trailer, as it won't fit in the enclosed trailer. Also, I think I'm going to replace the turbo on the Dodge. It pulled fine through the trip, but it doesn't spin as freely as it should, and it appears to be the original at 230k miles. I'd like to upgrade it to lower EGTs for those long grades.

First, gotta finish the engine swap in the race car. Hopefully I can squeeze in some fab time on the Bronco.

Too many projects... not enough time or $$!
96bronco likes this.

post #92 of 92 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 AM
JULY '16 F.O.T.M.

Bronco Info: 1996 EB
Garage
I recognize Bryce Canyon my old stomping grounds! My dad was the Chief Ranger there for about 10 years. Looks like you has some weather. Rare to see any water flowing in those gullies.

That's a nice looking setup- 20K lbs Holy Cow!!

1996 Eddie Bauer 351W/E40D/Dana 44, TTB R 8.8 (4.56 F&R), 6" Lift, 35x13.50 Toyo MTs, sag PS, 1 ton brakes, off-road bumpers, Warn 15K, Edelbrock intakes, lots 'O lights.
Build thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=352625
Supermord site: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920
July 2016 F.S.O.T.M

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode