Rodan's rear bumper build - Ford Bronco Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1992 EB 5.8L, 4" lift, 33x11.50-16
Rodan's rear bumper build

Today I started on building a rear bumper. Basic construction will by 2x6 rectangular tube. The plan is to incorporate a dual swing-a-way, tire and jack on one side and fuel/water cans and cooler on the other, and the usual recovery points. It will also have quarter panel protection which will also support a roof rack.

Today was mostly about getting the stock bumper off, and getting brackets fabbed up. After considering sinking a receiver in the bumper, I decided I wanted to keep the frame mounted hitch, as it has a lot more support. It did hang pretty low, so after removing the stock bumper I flipped the crosstube, raising the receiver position and giving around 4" more ground clearance on the departure angle.

Next, I fabbed up plates to mount the bumper to the stock location. I borrowed a plasma cutter from a friend while he's out of town for a couple of months so I could work on this and the front bumper. Boy, do I NEED one of these!! What a time saver. Mounting plates are 1/4", and support will be added after they are tacked on.

Brackets bolted in place:

Here's a shot of the bumper, not yet cut to length, but the notch to clear the receiver is roughed in. It will later be angled out a bit and closed off.

That's it for today. Hopefully I can get the bumper tacked to the brackets tomorrow, get the length cut, and work on some gussets for the brackets. I still need to order the swing-a-way hinges, latches and the recovery points, so that stuff is a couple weeks out.

More to come...

"The welfare of the people has long been the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 10:18 PM

Bronco Info: 93 EB 5.8 6" lift on 35" Grabbers
completely jealous of people with welders on hand and a garage to work in. Cant wait to see it finished man
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Good progress today. Finished up what I have materials and parts in stock for...

Got the bumper positioned and brackets tacked, then pulled it off to add 1/4" bracing and weld.

I would have preferred a slightly higher position for the bumper, but I was limited by clearance with the tailgate down. Here's what I ended up with - around 1/2" all the way across:

The relief around the hitch receiver leaves enough room to get my locking pin in/out. I am going to have to buy a bigger drop hitch...

Next I cut the taper on each side (I really love this plasma cutter!), and mounted it up.

I had built the bracket for the license plate a couple of weeks ago, and it will remain on the spare tire when the new carrier gets built.

The ends are still a bit long, and will get trimmed back after I finalize the quarter panel protection/roof rack support. I also need to weld in steel to close everything off, and I'll do that after getting the recovery points and hinges welded in. I'll be ordering some parts this week, but probably won't get back to the project until weekend after next.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Got some work on the bumper done today.

I added the quarter panel protection, which will also support uprights for a roof rack, and shortened the bumper slightly after I had the fitment worked out. Also closed in the cutout over the receiver hitch.

Ordering the hinges and recovery points got put back a week, as I decided to buy springs and sway bars for the wife's car. Looks like next weekend will be tree removal weekend anyway....

post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Ordered hinges, shackles and mounts, and tire carrier plate this morning.

In addition to cutting down some trees tomorrow, it's our 17th wedding anniversary this weekend, so no fab work will be happening. Hope to have it close to finished the following weekend.

post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco 5.0
Looks sweet! Keep up the good work
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Got more goodies today:

Here's one of the hinges disassembled:

The spindle rides in a sleeve that gets welded to the bumper to reduce the amount of heat put into the spindle to prevent overhardening and crystallization. Supposed to lessen the chance of the spindle breaking.

Also had a schedule change at work, so I'm off tomorrow...

post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 AM
Harley's & Bronco's FTW!

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2
Garage
Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Interesting design choice using both square and round.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
Looks good. Interesting idea on the quarter panel protection. I haven't seen the tire carrier spindles with the sleeves before, where did you get them?
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

The round/square combo ties in to the sliders, and the front bumper will have something to maintain the 'theme', although I haven't quite figured the front out in my head yet.

The quarter protection (and the sliders) will also support uprights to carry a roof rack independent of the 'glass topper (so it can be removed). Something similar to this:

Wish I could give credit, but I don't know who's rig that is, just snagged the pic off google.

The spindles are from http://www.comp4x4.com/home.php

post #11 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 12:20 PM

Judging by your photos, your bumper strength and tire carrier spindle thickness will both bear the weight of a single swing-arm with tire and accessories. Any reason you prefer two arms ?

What are you using to lock the arm(s) when open ? Our Bronco has a Warn locking hub to lock it open, built by the former owner and it works very well.

SOLD : 1979 Bronco, 460ci swap, 6" lift with 38s, rebuilt Dana 60 front with ARB locker, Chevy 14-bolt rear with ARB locker and disc brakes, TripleSix custom Bumpers, 12k Winch, + MUCH more..

Last edited by Builder10; 05-20-2014 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #12 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I went with double arms just to avoid having all the weight on one long arm... it can be cumbersome in daily use, and takes up more space to swing out.

I honestly hadn't thought about locking it in the open position, but I can see the sense of that on certain inclinations. I do intend to build a travel stop to prevent over rotation. I have toggle clamps coming for closure, which should arrive this afternoon.

Here's some new pics from this morning's work:

On the truck, with hinges and recovery points installed, and the bumper all welded up. I still have some sanding smoothing to do, but that will wait until all the fabrication is done.

The hinge spindle, in the welded sleeve. The spindle itself is welded just on the bottom to prevent putting a lot of heat in it.

With the lower of the two bearings the carrier rides on:

Carrier installed with castle nut:

And the dust cover (which is not fully seated, just placed for the photo):

Bumper with clevises:

I like the hinge system, and it went together pretty easily. I'm a little worried about distorting the carrier when welding the cross bar on, but I'll just have to go slowly so it doesn't get overly hot.

Well, off for something to eat and to buy some more steel...

post #13 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 PM

It's a great fabricated custom job to your own design, looking forward to seeing the continued fast progress.

SOLD : 1979 Bronco, 460ci swap, 6" lift with 38s, rebuilt Dana 60 front with ARB locker, Chevy 14-bolt rear with ARB locker and disc brakes, TripleSix custom Bumpers, 12k Winch, + MUCH more..
post #14 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Finished up for the day...

Still got lots to do. And don't fret, there will be additional support for the tire carrier. Just ran out of time. I did receive the toggle clamp latches today, though I didn't take photos or have time to do anything with them.

This weekend I'll try to finish up the tire carrier, get the latches installed and start on the high-lift jack mount.

post #15 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

More progress today... got to the "it's useable" point, and really, the tire carrier side is pretty much done.

Additional tire carrier support added, over rotation stops installed and toggle clamps installed:

Toggle clamps:

Swingouts are boxed in, and I added delrin pads, on which the carrier arms ride when closed, to eliminate clanks, clunks and other unpleasant noises; and to provide a solid base for the toggle clamps to secure against:

Tire on:

Side view:

I probably could have had the tire closer to the tailgate, but my original plan was to put the high-lift behind the tire. Unfortunately, that didn't work out the way I wanted it to. I still need to figure out the high-lift mount, and get dimensions for fuel/water cans so I can plan out the other swingout. I also need to add the mounting points for the roof rack support to the quarter panel protectors. Hopefully, one more weekend will see this thing done... then I get to start on the front...

post #16 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 10:54 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 XLT 5.0l w/AOD & Rebuilt BW1356
Love it. But what is the purpose of the driver's side swing away section?

Stock 302, 3g Alternator upgrade, Catco y-pipe/Cat to high flow muffler, AOD tranny w/remote filter, rebuilt BW 1356, sliding rear side windows
post #17 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
Love it. But what is the purpose of the driver's side swing away section?
Driver's side will carry 2-3 fuel/water cans + high lift. I will probably also figure out a removable cooler carrier over the cans.

I'd really like to use the Scepter milspec cans, but I don't relish the idea of spending $300+ on fuel/water cans...

Anyone know of a good (reasonably priced) source for them?

post #18 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 05:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
For metal cans try here. These are the nato metal cans and spouts. Free shipping this weekend for orders over $199.

I am not an employe, owner, or in anyway associate with them. Just a past customer.
http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Categ...C.+-++OFF-ROAD
post #19 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Use the Force...

Bronco Info: 1988 Eddie Bauer; 5.0L AOD; 3" suspension lift w/33x12.50 KOs. '77 F100 Custom, step side, restoring
Looks awesome, man! I love the idea of two swingouts with gear on them.

'88 Eddie Bauer, '98 5.0L w/GT40p heads, HD AOD, 130A 3G, 3" suspension w/33x12.50KOs, Tow Package.
Porkchop Express' Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=279266
Blacksheep 2/75
R.L.T.W.
post #20 of 92 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 PM

Why the large loop at the front of your sliders?

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode