School me on Air Compressors - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford514 View Post
If i use mine hard during the summer it will make about a quart of water every two days or less
Well Buddy, I've never drained mine . So I'm not looking forward to seeing how much comes out of mine. Yeah, I know read the owners manual. It will be read for sure now. You and I have a very similar compressor.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:57 AM
RESIDENT ASSHOLE

Bronco Info: ,2003 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Well Buddy, I've never drained mine . So I'm not looking forward to seeing how much comes out of mine. Yeah, I know read the owners manual. It will be read for sure now. You and I have a very similar compressor.
When and if you drain it ,expect water & RUST.That shit will stain you concrete.

Duct tape can't fix stupid........but it can muffle the sound!
post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 12:27 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
my 28 gal compressor builds up moisture every time. i put a 90* valve on it and it's great. i just use my foot to flip it off or on. i did, however, have to raise it a little so the bigger valve would fit.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread

post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:19 AM

Bronco Info: 84 F100 Shortbed, 351C, AOD, 4WD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpit View Post
Harsh.
Yeah, well, maybe I am an idiot, or a tin hat wearer to some, but the truth is the truth and it hurts sometimes.

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue - Ernest Hemingway.
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 AM

Bronco Info: 84 F100 Shortbed, 351C, AOD, 4WD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
my POS worked great for 20+years. Good luck getting that out of the junk they're selling today.
True, but the junk sold these days doesn't turn into a WMD created by a PMS.

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. You will meet them doing various things with resolve, but their interest rarely holds because after the other thing ordinary life is as flat as the taste of wine when the taste buds have been burned off your tongue - Ernest Hemingway.
post #46 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Just wanted to update on the compressor. I have been using it for a few months now every weekend for , airing, 1/2 impact, 3/8 impact, chisel, drill, and cut off wheels.

It has done me great so far. Only thing I have noticed like Jowens said you diffidently want to drain it at the end of the day every use.

After two days:

But it keeps up with everything I need. Setup:

I did get a reel makes a huge difference around the garage having one.

Anyone else use these ColorConnex fittings? I get them from Northern Tool and love them. No leaks, durable, and blue.

See the difference to the original fittings.

They work great!
post #47 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
I've been using the standard basic airfittings forever and never have any problems.

Them sure do look purdy though.

Love the hose reel. can't hardly imagine living without one.
still need to setup that angle pipe and drain extension.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #48 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe` View Post
I've been using the standard basic airfittings forever and never have any problems.

Them sure do look purdy though.

Love the hose reel. can't hardly imagine living without one.
still need to setup that angle pipe and drain extension.
I even bought the pieces to make the extended drain. I just have to get the compressor higher in the air. I like the availability of movement so Maybe bigger tires. I haven't really looked into anything.
post #49 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
yea... I'll have to raise mine as well. currently it's just sitting on a few rubber pads I cut off some conveyor belt I picked up a few years back for misc. material.
I'm thinking some 4x4 blocks and screw in through the feet. Mine's not mobile... but it's big.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #50 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:08 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Ive been using the standard fittings forever. For a long time I had issues with leaks at the couplers, then I figured out that I just destroy them. Ive been buying them from HF for years. I realized the Brass ones are actually WORSE than the regular steel ones. For a while I used the Anodized fittings and found they worked well, except that I had to buy a whole pack when the coupler was the only piece wearing out. I did figure out that a universal coupler has a better seal and is damn near bulletproof, but its a PITA to connect and disconnect.
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-f...ler-68184.html
I'm now using the regular steel fittings.

Be honest salt, you got a little too excited with the couplers. I'm counting way more than necessary.

Oh yeah, I just got an old school 100 psi air compressor with a belt drive V-twin cast Iron pump. Just one catch. No one ever drained it. The bottom of the tank rotted and is leaking air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQH4FrhDvY

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #51 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Update on my air compressor:

post #52 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
Ive been using the standard fittings forever. For a long time I had issues with leaks at the couplers, then I figured out that I just destroy them. Ive been buying them from HF for years. I realized the Brass ones are actually WORSE than the regular steel ones. For a while I used the Anodized fittings and found they worked well, except that I had to buy a whole pack when the coupler was the only piece wearing out. I did figure out that a universal coupler has a better seal and is damn near bulletproof, but its a PITA to connect and disconnect.
http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-f...ler-68184.html
I'm now using the regular steel fittings.

Be honest salt, you got a little too excited with the couplers. I'm counting way more than necessary.

Oh yeah, I just got an old school 100 psi air compressor with a belt drive V-twin cast Iron pump. Just one catch. No one ever drained it. The bottom of the tank rotted and is leaking air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElQH4FrhDvY

If your talking about the ones connecting the compressor to the reel I had to. The reel fitting are 3/8s and the air fittings are 1/4. I had to work with what I had, I will get adapters later.
post #53 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #54 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 PM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
One thing to think about when your getting alot of water in the lines. The air coming out of the compressor is typically HOT, and saturated with water. As most may know, the hotter the air is, the more water it will hold (to a point). As the air cools, the water vapor drops out as condensate. When you de-pressurize a pressurized container, the air going thru whatever line your using cools very quickly, causing the moisture to drop out as condensate. This is why you get alot of water coming out of the end of a 25 ' line. The air has a good length of hose to cool in and let the water condense.

So in order to optimize this effect to your advantage, I would suggest taking a 25' section of hose and coil it up neatly somehow. Then connect the end to something like this......

You can make that from parts at lowes/home depot for about $40, then choose your own manifold pieces or just put a valve on the end to connect to your hose reel. The first section will catch the majority of water and it can be easily drained.

You can also add a automatic drain valve as seen in this diagram.

devildog93 likes this.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #55 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
i had one of those and it worked ok. i sold it when i sold that compressor. when i hooked up my new one, i found an IR separator / oiler for something stupid like $15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
So in order to optimize this effect to your advantage, I would suggest taking a 25' section of hose and coil it up neatly somehow. Then connect the end to something like this......

i don't have a 25' hose, but i did use a 6' coil hose and do exactly what you mentioned.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #56 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
If I had unlimited time, funds, and a desire for perfect air I would totally do a DIY aftercooler.

As a bonus it looks cool.

I was under the impression that these were good as I see them alot.

I think that's a filter regulator though.
I've just got a cheapo inline filter on mine.

For good water removal for cheap what I would do is (all mounted to a wall) a cooler, a metal U pipe like jowens posted below it, then a decent water separator, maybe two.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #57 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:17 PM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Since I move around alot I havnt had a chance to build anything good yet. But I think we will be in this house at least 3 years, so I am going to build something decent once I get my compressor hooked back up.

I also have the big water can like Pfun pictured above. It works pretty good. It would work better if I mounted it after 25' of hose so the water had a chance to condense. As its hooked up now, it it almost a wasted effort.

With my blaster rig, If I run more than 15 mins or so continuous blasting, that can will fill with water, then I have to empty it. I also have a water seperator at the blaster cabinet, and it will fill up too, to quickly.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #58 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Wow I didn't realize so much could/needed to go into filtering the water out. I may have to rethink my setup. Thanks for the advice guys.
post #59 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 02:17 AM
Busy Plowing...

Garage
regularly tank draining, a good filter on off the tank, and an inline filter at the gun when spraying paint has always worked just fine for me.

that and 2-3 drops of oil in every tool, before every extended use.

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #60 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 04:18 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '83 VIN & title on '93 frame/body w/'95 4.9L & EB paint
Back on the topic of air compressors in general... This thread makes me glad I didn't buy IR.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode