School me on Air Compressors - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
One thing to think about when your getting alot of water in the lines. The air coming out of the compressor is typically HOT, and saturated with water. As most may know, the hotter the air is, the more water it will hold (to a point). As the air cools, the water vapor drops out as condensate. When you de-pressurize a pressurized container, the air going thru whatever line your using cools very quickly, causing the moisture to drop out as condensate. This is why you get alot of water coming out of the end of a 25 ' line. The air has a good length of hose to cool in and let the water condense.

So in order to optimize this effect to your advantage, I would suggest taking a 25' section of hose and coil it up neatly somehow. Then connect the end to something like this......

You can make that from parts at lowes/home depot for about $40, then choose your own manifold pieces or just put a valve on the end to connect to your hose reel. The first section will catch the majority of water and it can be easily drained.

You can also add a automatic drain valve as seen in this diagram.

I can't seem to make this system for less then $100 from Lowes or HD...

I did put a drain in, much nicer lifting a little lever than fiddling with a rusted screw.

devildog93 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 AM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
I can't seem to make this system for less then $100 from Lowes or HD...

I did put a drain in, much nicer lifting a little lever than fiddling with a rusted screw.

Now you know why I don't have one. I use mainly impacts and blow guns so a tiny bit of water in the line isn't a big deal for me. When I get my main compressor hooked back up I'm gonna get an automatic drain valve, I think the best way to keep the water out of the lines is to keep it out of the tank. That said the 26hp craftsman oilless I got not long ago has water buildup issues like crazy, it blows out of the air nozzle it's so bad. If/when I get my little portable compressor going it may get an automatic unloader too. They're only $10. The only reason I haven't already done it is because I was worried about breaking it off the tank as my main compressor is a portable unit.

Honestly I would go with HF for the regulator, filter,drain valves, ect. Then get just the iron pipe for the drain loop from HD. I've never had issues with HF compressed air components other than having them wear out, you'll pay more for literally the same thing at HD.

My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/pfun41#p/a
The going get tough, the tough get debt
Don't pay attention, pay the rent
Next of kins pay for your sins
A little faith should keep us safe
post #63 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
I bit the bullet and went ahead and built the system Jowens posted.

two 10 feet air hose, Filter, regulator, and oil lubricator. I need to get a few more things - pipe, one more valve, a in-line filter, these are for the NON-Oil tools and will be a separate section.

Got it mostly put together tonight.

Thanks for all the advice here!!

I do want to say this was no under $100 setup though .........

post #64 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco 5.0 liter e4od factory MAF, 130 amp 3g, auxillary transmission filter and cooler.
You know, I was actually just thinking about this. Instead of a big metal drop tube you could use a small JY A/C condenser, just mount it up high, then run your water separator and filters underneith it. It would actually work better for collecting water than the pipe and be cheaper too. I notice you used 1/2 pipe which no doubt increased the cost substantially. Kinda wondering why. The chances of you ever trying to use that compressor for anything that requires the airflow capacity of 1/2" line is slim to none. Even if you did I would question the compressor's ability to keep up. I think eventually I will do a nice setup, I'll probably use An ac condenser, 1/4" water/oil separators and filters. My compressor only has a 1/4" output fitting, 1/2" line won't help at all.

post #65 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have 3/8 hose, fittings, etc... lowes only had 1/2 pipe at this length. The only 3/8 pipe was only 6 inches. I would had to connected 5 together to make these 30 inch pipes.

I am hoping to tie in another tank later on after we move and the new Garage is complete... shhh I havent said anything about this yet....
post #66 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I have 3/8 hose, fittings, etc... lowes only had 1/2 pipe at this length. The only 3/8 pipe was only 6 inches. I would had to connected 5 together to make these 30 inch pipes.

I am hoping to tie in another tank later on after we move and the new Garage is complete... shhh I havent said anything about this yet....
See there you go spending money on toys again salt. The misses is gonna hate you.

post #67 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ha she is going to get everything she wants in the house. I only asked for a detached garage with a room above it and built my way.
post #68 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
$40 might have been a low estimate but it was just for the pipe and fittings. Im sure it will work out great for you though! Looks like a nice setup.

1/2" is what you needed anyway. If you try to go smaller it will restrict the flow and you might not get the best performance from your air tools. Especially if you ever do any blasting. Blasting requires as much air as you can throw at it.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
post #69 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Thread Killa

Is this the oiler on the left (last thing hooked up)?

If so, you might want to put that on a dedicated air tool leg. Not everything requires oil in the line, and in fact some things wont work right with oil in the lines. I prefer not to contaminate my hoses with oil as I do alot of bead blasting, and oil in the line is the last thing you want doing that.

I actually prefer a smaller form factor oiler like this that I attach directly to the air tool ....

for most tools, i just squirt some oil down the spout before I connect it.

While were talking oil. Dont forget to change your compressor oil OFTEN! I will drain it and replace the oil anytime I think im not going to use it for a while. But at least once a month during regular use. It gets BLACK FAST! If its really black I will change it, run it for 15-20 mins, then change it again.

"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

post #70 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:

two 10 feet air hose, Filter, regulator, and oil lubricator. I need to get a few more things - pipe, one more valve, a in-line filter, these are for the NON-Oil tools and will be a separate section.

The last thing on the left before hitting my hose Reel/impact tools is a lubricator yes. But I will be adding a section for the NON-Oiled tools and a cut off valve before the lubricator. That is why you see a fitting before the lubricator too.
post #71 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Thread Killa

just didnt want you to contaminate your hose reel with oil.

post #72 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
just didnt want you to contaminate your hose reel with oil.
oh ok I got ya. I have a separate 50' hose I will hook up when I need the NON-Oiled tools. I only have a blaster that would be used and probably not much.
post #73 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finished the setup today

separate cut off valve before the lubricator and a hose fitting before the cut off. I have a 50' hose I will use just for NON-Oiled tools.

This weekend I am going to try to get to the store and buy some plywood to hang this on the wall.
post #74 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:51 PM

I just pour some oil in the fittings of my tools every so often. When I remember. An inline lubricator isn't something I ever considered. I use the blow gun often and I don't want any oil in it.
One of the guys at the dealership said he never oiled his tools, they had to have been 15-20 years old too.

post #75 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfun41 View Post
I just pour some oil in the fittings of my tools every so often. When I remember. An inline lubricator isn't something I ever considered. I use the blow gun often and I don't want any oil in it.
One of the guys at the dealership said he never oiled his tools, they had to have been 15-20 years old too.
I think it really goes like the saying "they don't make them like they use to" My dad's 35 year old air tools I never oiled and never had a problem But they are nice MAC tools made in USA.

Now with everything made in China you can never be too careful..

But again I have a dry line and the air nozzle will be one of the tools that uses it. I might even have to get another Reel and label the two "Lubed" and "Dry"
post #76 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB, 351w, basically stock. 1981 custom 351m, long gone.
Garage
I love the inline oiler. I never oil my tools, yet they magically get oiled every time i use them.

it's fun to do bad things

my "build" thread
post #77 of 105 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_cam View Post
I love the inline oiler. I never oil my tools, yet they magically get oiled every time i use them.
post #78 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Since this is now our little compressor thread I figured I'd post this stuff here, also I wanna show off my new toy.

I Originally wanted to add HF auto drains to both of my compressors but after reading that they were cheap junk I decided to go with these.

They're tethered drain valves, the same style used on semis. When the stem is pulled sideways they open and allow the compressor to drain.
When the original drain valve on my 33 gallon Craftsman became rusty and bent I replaced it with this cheapo From HF. It got beat up again and began to slowly leak, I just let it leak because it was such a pain to deal with. Now I finally have something to replace it with. You can see where its been leaking. Crusty!

New tether drain valve.

I ran the cable up to the top and tied it off where it will be easy to get to, I'll just give it a pull when I turn the compressor on or off.

Now I just gotta figure out why it likes to randomly blow the 20 amp breaker when it starts.
Fun little fact, when I drained all the air out I found out my gauges read about 20-30 psi high.

New drain valve Installed on the 4 gallon craftsman; my new toy. The tether is pretty long so I wrapped it around the tanks. Just pull on the cord and the valve opens and lets any moisture out.

Swapped on a Cambell Hausfeld pressure gauge from a tiny burned out compressor I have. No more leak!

Now I'm just trying to decide if I should make it look nice or put stickers on it. I think a "stupid hurts" sticker would fit nicely.

I keep wanting to call it "mini me", since its just a smaller Craftsman.

post #79 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #80 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:56 AM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
no details on the neat-o little drain valve's? you're holding out on us man!
looks way easier to use and setup than the pipe and extended drain valve situation.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode