Plasma cutters? - Ford Bronco Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1994 eddie Bauer
Plasma cutters?

Going to tackle building my own Winch bumper soon.
So I'm looking for a Plasma cutter, with a possible Internal Air Compressor. I'd like to be able to cut up to a 1/4" and keep it $1000 or less...
Opinions or advice on what to get would be appreciated.
I was looking at some of the Hobarts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:20 PM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Moved to the correct section.

I went for the same thing you are looking for: School me on Plasma Cutters

I was not impressed at all with this unit. It would not even cut through 1/8 just burned it making a mess. No way it will cut 1/4. I was able to cut through really thin body panels but the compressor kicks on every 30 - 60 seconds of run time. When the internal compressor kicks on you have to stop or you will not get the same cut and you will go much slower. The compressor in this unit sucked.

If your going to go with a plasma cutter look into Eastwood's cutter: Versa Cut 60 Plasma Cutter | Plasma Cutter | Eastwood I have been eyeballing this unit for a little while. I have their 220v 175amp MIG Welder and I have been nothing but impressed with it. Even had a few body guys use it throughout the year and they have been amazed on how well it response compared to their units at twice the price. Reviews are great and people love the run time.

Eastwood is a great brand and their warranty is spot-on.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

The 3 year No questions asked warranty on the Eastwood cutter is Awesome... And 7/8s is big. I probably won't cut anything bigger than 1/4 inch. I definitely don't want to keep stopping once I start.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:55 PM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkull View Post
The 3 year No questions asked warranty on the Eastwood cutter is Awesome... And 7/8s is big. I probably won't cut anything bigger than 1/4 inch. I definitely don't want to keep stopping once I start.
Yeah I always compare all tools with Eastwood first. We have a Eastwood Benchtop Bandsaw at work I cut through any steel with. Its awesome. Eastwood Benchtop Bandsaw

I assume you have a good external compressor that you could hook up.

If you do decide this post up your results I have been wanting to get one just can't justify the funds to the Wife right now.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I showed my wife the price of the Rock Solid Bumper I wanted and she said "No F-Ing way" lol. I have a nice welder so I figured I'd buy the cutter and try making my own. I have a small air compressor, I could get a bigger one plus the cutter and still be under budget of what it costs to buy 2 bumpers and Rock sliders.
But I need to make sure I get something decent, I get very few "OK" windows of opportunity from my wife when it comes to my trucks lol....
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Use the Force...

Bronco Info: 1988 Eddie Bauer; 5.0L AOD; 3" suspension lift w/33x12.50 KOs. '77 F100 Custom, step side, restoring
So are 220v the only way to go? Not any 120s that are worth it?

'88 Eddie Bauer, '98 5.0L w/GT40p heads, HD AOD, 130A 3G, 3" suspension w/33x12.50KOs, Tow Package.
Porkchop Express' Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=279266
Blacksheep 2/75
R.L.T.W.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:36 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT, 6" lift, 35s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_ted_82 View Post
So are 220v the only way to go? Not any 120s that are worth it?
i have a friend that is going to build me a set of steel bumpers in the spring, he has a 110 and said it can do it but gets to hot and cant run lines very long, he said if you get one go 220. Lucky my grandfather has a miller stick welder we are going to use.

1995 Bronco XLT
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 EB 5.8L, 4" lift, 33x11.50-16
I bought a Lincoln 25A plasma last year, and it works OK on lighter materials, but I think I'm going to upgrade this year.

The Eastwood Versa Cut 60 is the one I've decided on... looks like the best deal going.

You definitely want 220, or at least a machine that will do both 110 and 220...

"The welfare of the people has long been the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

I just pulled the trigger on the Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air, for my 40th birthday gift lol.
Built in air so I can take it with me.
It has great reviews so far.

$1500 brand new.
Pricey..... But after researching for days, it kept coming up on the top of everything I wanted in a Plasma cutter. Easy, portable, durable, dependable and high quaility long lasting craftsman ship. Hope it was a good buy!
devildog93 and MATCHBOX like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 86 302/AOD on 8 lugs. 96 302/ZF5.
Garage
I am a huge Hypertherm fan. What a really great company if you go on their website and read about them. A real American success story. But, most importantly, they make great machines. They still hold more plasma technology patents than anyone and license their technology to other companies as well.

I have the Powermax 45 and have zero regrets.
MATCHBOX likes this.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I' did A lot of home work before choosing it. I'd like to get the 45 but I was already over the $1000 cap my wife gave me lol.
this machine should handle my bumper build, Rock sliders and roof rack pretty easily.
And I can take it with me.

But If He'll ever freezes over and my wife gets drunk enough to let me get the 45 for my shop I'll max another card out to get it lol.

When I first asked the wife I told her I'd spend $500 max.... I did pretty good squeezing another grand out her lol.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Bronco Info: 1986 5.0 EFI 4x4 4.56 gears, stock suspension
Garage
I may get scorned for this... But when I was building a Rock Crawler project 4 years ago... I needed a plasma cutter, and cheap.. me and two other buddies split the $300 Ebay plasma cutter three ways, and bought a pack of extra tips for it. Its was actually pretty Good.. its cheap, and you can tell, but as long as you have a good tip on it, it will cut 1/4 mild steel.. and we have been using it for projects here and there for the past 4 years.. so... take it for what its worth.. cheap.. does the job.. still working.. If I were buying one for professional use, to meet the needs of a job or a career.. that's a diff story.. but just for project use and to keep costs low. Its worked great.. just my .02 cents.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 EB 5.8L, 4" lift, 33x11.50-16
Quote:
I may get scorned for this... But when I was building a Rock Crawler project 4 years ago... I needed a plasma cutter, and cheap.. me and two other buddies split the $300 Ebay plasma cutter three ways, and bought a pack of extra tips for it. Its was actually pretty Good..
Is that the 'Cut50' that's sold by several sellers on eBay?

Several guys on another forum I'm on have had good luck with those, although 1 guy went through 3 of them under warranty before getting a refund...

"The welfare of the people has long been the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Bronco Info: 90 Bronco 5.0 AOD
For anyone that's interested, I have the Eastwood versacut 60. I got it and the 175 mig in a package deal on sale for under a grand. If you have 220 power and a good air supply it is definitely a great choice. It cuts 1/4" about like scissors cut notebook paper. I've even cut some 1" with it, but for that you have to have some patience.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

I almost went with a Thermal Dynamics... But The built in Air Compressor sold me on the Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air.
I wanted this to be a portable unit to take places easily with not much hassle. And the reputation and reviews were all outstanding.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 08:56 PM
aka: boilermakerms007

Bronco Info: 91 Eddie Bauer, 5.8L, 79 dana44 SAS, 4.56 gears in a trac-loc carrier, 8.5" lift, shorty headers,
Garage
I'm really cheap.... A good 6" dewalt grinder and some wafer wheels. Very effective, very quick, and no cleaning up the cuts you make. You can cut any material clean and straight, without slag left behind. Just saying, if you do much fab work, you'll use it more than a torch, or a plaz. I know, I build shit all day, 4-7 days a week. We use a plaz on stainless, that's about it. Even then, a cutting disk works fine. Except for for curved cuts, that takes skill and patience, but can be done

GET DIRTY
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermakerms007 View Post
I'm really cheap.... A good 6" dewalt grinder and some wafer wheels. Very effective, very quick, and no cleaning up the cuts you make. You can cut any material clean and straight, without slag left behind. Just saying, if you do much fab work, you'll use it more than a torch, or a plaz. I know, I build shit all day, 4-7 days a week. We use a plaz on stainless, that's about it. Even then, a cutting disk works fine. Except for for curved cuts, that takes skill and patience, but can be done
I've Got 6" Dewalt Grinder, I use the shit out if it too.
MATCHBOX likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 bronco, 1995 roller motor w/ carb.
Garage
I have the hypertherm powermax 30 and a friend has a powermax 30 with the air compressor. I don't have much need for the air as i have a clean air setup at the home shop, but it sure comes in handy. He did quite a number on a big iron gate for someone that would have been a dog without a portable plasma cutter. I thought long and hard about the eastwood setup too, but in the end i decided to pay a little more for hypertherm. You really can't find many people(if any) that have buyer's remorse when dealing with hypertherm. The drag tip is awesome and the equipment itself seems just better in all regards. I believe the eastwood plasma is Chinese if i'm not mistaken.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the Hypertherms are pricey but I've yet to read a bad review. The portability with the built in Aur Compressor was the selling factor for me. I havnt used it yet since its so cold in the garage but can't wait to try it out.

I'm also a Navy Vet so I like to support products made in the USA when I can.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 10:20 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 Rebuilt 5.0 Free Wheeling Package
Garage
I have a Eastwood Plasma Cutter Versacut 40 and have cleanly cut 1/4. The 60 would give you a little headroom on thickness. I'm really happy with mine.

It's doesn't have a compressor though.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode