Diy bumper kits...CHEAP - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:13 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog93 View Post
550 seems like a damn good deal if you ask me. When you take out materials then you are left with the labor. Seems to me the cheap asses don't want to pay people anything for their labor. I get it that when you are doing things you enjoy for yourself you aren't paying any labor, but it doesn't work that way when someone else is doing it. If this is as sturdy/well-built as it looks like then it is well worth it in my opinion. Very nice looking piece.

I think of it as the hard part is already done. Welding it up is nothing compared to cutting and bending the material. Not everyone has the ability to cut or bend 3/16" steel easily and as neat as this kit is.

If it is not up to the strength expectations it is easier enough to add braces and gussets when installing.

Myself, I consider it well designed, may not be universal but all of the designs look the same just modified to fit the vehicle to make it easy for the installer. I am not a fan of surface mounted clevis mount points. I prefer they go thru and attached to the frame rails. Easy enough for me to change that.

There maybe things that don't live up to the expensive pre-made ready to mount bumpers, but that has more to do with design and how finished a look you want. Like buying a house with no interior trim. One area some may notice is the light pockets may not look as finished as those expensive bumpers.

Some may not want it cause it has to be painted or coated. Bet you if they searched hard enough they would find a powder coater within 75 miles. Some may want it painted so that touch up can easily be done.
devildog93 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
From the website: "An excellent weld-it-yourself alternative to the pricey, finished bumpers on the market,"

I don't know the details of finish when it arrives at your door but it seems that aside from press cutting, you would be the labor involved when purchasing the bumper.
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 11:10 AM

Bronco Info: 1984 bronco, 1995 roller motor w/ carb.
Garage
I have a 250 amp welder, so that wouldn't be an issue. As was stated before, i think the hard part has been done...the cutting and bending of 3/16" steel. Not every has a brake, a plasma cutter,etc. I am missing the brake for example. I would have to jerry-rig some way of bending it. Cutting i could do with either a lot of wheels or a plasma cutter, but it would likely take some time.

550 bucks isn't much in the scheme of things when talking about aftermarket car parts. A back window for my 64 riviera was like 400 bucks. Sure, i could melt some sand, develop a mold and pour some glass......not really. Even if i could though, at some point you have to say i'm not going to invest that much time or tooling into doing every single thing on my vehicle, especially if you have a 2 car garage for a shop. I don't have the room to do everything on my project cars even if i wanted to. I likely do not have the time either. Some stuff is going to be farmed out. I also do not have a tire machine, anything to bore or hone an engine block, or machinist's tooling to do heads.

Any way, getting off track, i like the bumper and this would be aimed at me. I would gladly pick up a piece like this that was cut and bent and required me welding it to finish it off. I actually think this is pretty witty. I don't see how it is much different from a contractor doing something 3/4 of the way and letting you finish the peon work. An example would be someone wiring in a/c and plating the unit, but you running the ductwork.

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:57 PM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT, 5.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Heaven View Post
A side shot and a 3/4 shot would be great to add.
I took about 3 inches out of the side panels since I had issues with the tires rubbing the stock bumper, but it was flush with the wheel wells originally.

When I get more time I want to trim the bottom some, similar to this.

post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 01:38 PM

Looks great! I think $550 is a great deal. I look at it this way. Maybe you have to do some welding work but you didn't have to pay someone to do it for you when you could do it basically for free.

Although I hate threads like this...makes me want to spend money on something I honestly don't need! It would look great on my f350!:)
Hillbilly Heaven likes this.

1989 Bronco
post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:01 PM

One thing no one has mentioned is the gratification of doing it yourself. You can't put a price on that.
BikerPepe`, Hagan and dash_cam like this.
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 02:09 AM

Bronco Info: 1982 4x4 EFI 5.0 All Built In-House
Garage
Welding is all the fun, this is the best idea in bumpers in a long time, I didn't like the price at first...then I built bumper from scratch and only saved about 100 dollars, hardly worth the time it took doing all the measuring and cutting, this method would be waaaaaay faster.
drinkbrew, Hagan and MATCHBOX like this.

Custom built EFI 5.0, MSD, SpeedShop C6 w/E40D gear set, ATI converter, Trac-loc'd 44HD, Skyjacker 182s springs, RS9000 front shocks, Procomp adjustable rear shocks, SpeedShop triangulated rear shock system, TRE flip, SpeedShop fabricated bumpers, Long tube headers, SpeedShop 2.5 Y-merge to 3in single exhaust, 33x12.50-15
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketcarX View Post
Welding is all the fun, this is the best idea in bumpers in a long time, I didn't like the price at first...then I built bumper from scratch and only saved about 100 dollars, hardly worth the time it took doing all the measuring and cutting, this method would be waaaaaay faster.
Exactly why I went this route, welding is fun and I have the tools to do it. Cutting large pieces of metal that straight and cut outs that nice aren't going to happen unless you have some major tools and like you said way too time consuming. I should have taken more pics of the process, but the 5 main pieces fit together incredible well.
Hagan and MATCHBOX like this.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Garage
By the time I buy a welder, burn through the materials teaching myself to use it, and finally get this bumper, I'm going to be way more into it than just buying a finished bumper. Just doesn't make any sense!!!

But seriously, things like this make me wish I had a welder, but I don't like the look of the bumper quite enough to rush out for it.

94 Bronco XLT - 5.0/E4OD
post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capbyrd View Post
By the time I buy a welder, burn through the materials teaching myself to use it, and finally get this bumper, I'm going to be way more into it than just buying a finished bumper. Just doesn't make any sense!!!

But seriously, things like this make me wish I had a welder, but I don't like the look of the bumper quite enough to rush out for it.
If that is the only reason you are going to buy a welder then no it's not worth it, but it could be over the years when you use it for more things. I already have a welder and it's not the first project that I save money on by doing it myself and won't be the last. Obviously a DIY bumper is not for someone that isn't a DIYer. The point of the kit is for people that have enough tools to build it, but not quite enough tools to cut and bend the main parts of it. I have talked to a few people that paid a fabricator to do the welding and they still saved money over buying some of the prebuilt bumpers on the market or having one fab'd up from scratch and were able to customize it the way they wanted.
dash_cam and MATCHBOX like this.
post #31 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:36 AM

It got me through a black diamond trail with some pretty rough rock gardens last weekend as well. I slammed into a coupl of boulders with it and other then messing up the new paint job it held up fine.

I didn't see a big ass boulder on my passenger side and ended up on top of it. We used a pry bar to actually get the bumper off the rock while is was in reverse lol.

post #32 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkbrew View Post
If that is the only reason you are going to buy a welder then no it's not worth it, but it could be over the years when you use it for more things. I already have a welder and it's not the first project that I save money on by doing it myself and won't be the last. Obviously a DIY bumper is not for someone that isn't a DIYer. The point of the kit is for people that have enough tools to build it, but not quite enough tools to cut and bend the main parts of it. I have talked to a few people that paid a fabricator to do the welding and they still saved money over buying some of the prebuilt bumpers on the market or having one fab'd up from scratch and were able to customize it the way they wanted.
It was sarcasm. I don't have a welder or the skill to weld yet but its on my list of things to acquire and learn.

94 Bronco XLT - 5.0/E4OD
post #33 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkbrew View Post
I didn't see a big ass boulder on my passenger side and ended up on top of it. We used a pry bar to actually get the bumper off the rock while is was in reverse lol.
For that reason I wonder if some type of skid plate could be added to keep the edge from hanging.
post #34 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:26 PM

Bronco Info: 1984 bronco, 1995 roller motor w/ carb.
Garage
Teaching yourself how to mig weld isn't supremely difficult. No offense to welders with tons of experience, but i manage just fine with a bit of arc weld schooling from my grandpa back in the day, some youtube videos(thank you chuckE2009), a decent mig welder and some scrap to play with. Uphill welding or welding in confined spaces may take some skill, but laying in floorpans and quarters on a classic car isn't like learning engineering calculus. I am sure there is an art to it and many people are more skilled and quicker than i am, but i get the job done. Any tool that helps create things is worth it to me. It is a long term investment. 1400 will buy a 250 amp hobart ironman 230. Welds up to half inch steel. I can't think of when i would need more, but it seems to me the welder would pay for itself with the first car body you had to do a trunk, floorpan or quarter panel on.
drinkbrew likes this.
post #35 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 10:03 AM

Garage
Part of my problem is that I don't have space for it right now. I have a carport, not a garage, can't build on a shop on my lot and my storage room is barely big enough for my water heater and toolbox. So until I move, it would have to live inside my house and that just aint happening right now.

94 Bronco XLT - 5.0/E4OD
post #36 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 01:34 AM
imdabes

Bronco Info: 1996 XLT 5.8, 35s no lift
Yeah I'd love to live in a place where I could get a full bumper done for 500 lol. I had triplesix make me a bumper and it came out to 13 or 1600, can't remember. Is amazing though, but he hasn't got set up in his new place yet to build a matching rear!
post #37 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 & 1990
Garage
Now to see if they will make one for the 78 / 79 broncos
post #38 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawbob View Post
Now to see if they will make one for the 78 / 79 broncos

They sell them for the 73-79 f-150's therefor it will work for the 78/79 Broncos.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #39 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Eric

Bronco Info: '88 Bronco XLT, 5.0L, AOD, 33's
Don't mean to sound like an ass, but, why don't the returns on the outside wings of the bumper line up with the fender openings? Why do they stop short, when viewed from the side? Is that bumper for another vehicle?

Nevermind, I just went back and re-read post #24. Oops.
BikerPepe` likes this.
post #40 of 50 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 AM

They must be making design changes. You can no longer order a winch mount with either light bar.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode