'79 Swingout Tire Carrier Bumper Build - Ford Bronco Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 400m
Cool '79 Swingout Tire Carrier Bumper Build

I finally got the time & funds to design & build myself a tire carrier bumper! There are several things I needed the bumper to accomplish:
  • Improve departure angle
  • Add swingout tire carrier capability
  • Provide a High Lift jacking point
  • Provide on board air tank storage
  • Provide good shackle mounts & obviously a receiver hitch

Here's how the design turned out in my CAD program:

Then I made a full size model out of paper backed foam poster board. This stuff was perfect to work with because it's sturdy, easy to cut, & measured 3/16" thick.

BikerPepe` and aintskeerd like this.

1979 Bronco 400m 0.060 over 'Black Betty'
-Edelbrock Carb & Manifold, Hedman Headers, Flowmaster Dual Mufflers, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam & Valvetrain Kit
-Duff LAs, WH progressive coils, Bilstein 7100s Lincoln HB, York OBA, Taurus Radiator Fan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Bronco Info: A Very Special '86 302
Subscribed, think I'm gonna build one this year too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnforgiven View Post
you could use your own piss as brake fluid, it would just boil at a lower temperature.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Construction Begins...

So I made the decision to pay someone to shear out all my parts for me out of 3/16" steel. I had no reliable way to cut this many pieces with this good of quality:

All the materials + labor to make these pieces was a grand total of $200 at the local metal shop. I was pretty satisfied with the quality and level of customization I got with the price tag. Much better than doing it myself.

Next I started tacking things together myself. I was just using my little old Hobart Handler 135 for this portion...

Note hole in the end for tire carrier hinge spindle. Specifically, this guy from AtoZ fabrication. Their 1.5" Mega Spindle. Very nice quality piece & I got the kit with tire mounting plate and had them substitute in the flat face clevis mounts for me.

Lots more tacking & fitting. I used a bunch of clamps to hold things in place as I welded since the pieces had some moderate 'misalignment' to them from being sheared/bent at the shop.

Here you can see how the receiver tube is routed through the bumper. The pipe is a short piece of schedule 80 round pipe which is required to route the trailer harness wiring through and maintain an airtight design.

Here it is with all pieces tacked in place! Looks like it will go together nicely at this point. Note I have not made endcaps yet, because I want to design those to wrap around my lower quarter panels slightly to provide some protection.

Here's how the trailer harness will work. The harness receptacle is a generic "Curt" brand receptacle. I will create a 1/4" backplate standoff to screw this receptacle to.

At this point I'm ready to start doing some 'heavy duty' welding! Buuuuuuuuuuuuut I had a problem. My little Handler 135 is no match for this much heavy plate.

To be continued... dun dun dun
BikerPepe` and RAMPNT1 like this.

-Edelbrock Carb & Manifold, Hedman Headers, Flowmaster Dual Mufflers, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam & Valvetrain Kit
-Duff LAs, WH progressive coils, Bilstein 7100s Lincoln HB, York OBA, Taurus Radiator Fan

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:43 AM

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the outcome. I want to have a swing-out tire carrier also.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:32 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 with a 460 dana 60's rear 35 spline full spool. front welded with hidro asst. 9" of lift on 44 bo
Garage
I like the air tank ideal. It's looking good.
vrewald likes this.

for the love of mud.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
DDaaaammmmmmnnnnn, look at you go. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
vrewald likes this.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Want to do one of these so bad. Looking forward to seeing it!

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Start of welding!

Alrighty so I managed to sell off my 'ol Handler 135, and I made a little upgrade...

Miller 211 MVP! This thing kicks butt!

To take full advantage of this guy, I had to redo the wiring in my garage. I wired in a new subpanel so now I have 220v service & room for expansion circuits. I have a powdercoat oven & air compressor in mind down the road...

I learned a lot about wiring in a very short period

SO. Back to the bumper.
First thing I had to do was make cut-outs for my clevis mounts. Some very patient and careful angle grinder work turned out nicely.

I cut out the slots with the entire bumper tacked together still, but you'll notice there are some fairly long weldments on a few pieces. This is because I had to take the bumper back apart in 2 halves to weld the inside portion of the clevis tabs that were sticking through to the inside.

These were the first real thick pieces I welded before, and I seemed to get decent heat and penetration. I had to go slow though and allow time to cool so I didn't get warpage in the 3/16" plate.

A note about the tire carrier spindle. My original plan was to weld in the spindle at this time with the bumper in 2 halves so I could weld 360 degrees around the bottom inside the bumper.

However, I decided not to do this, because I called A to Z fab specifically to ask what their recommended procedure for welding the spindle was. I wanted to take all precautions for avoiding stress cracks & failure in the future due to excessive heat/too rapid cooling.

Their recommendation was to simply weld in the spindle 360 degrees around the top, and 360 degrees around the bottom with all pieces at room temperature (~65 deg they said). Most importantly they said not to weld in the spindle until all the structural welding of the bumper was complete so that the squareness/orientation of the spindle would not be thrown off by potential warpage.

Therefore, I decided that I would weld it in 360 around the top, and only 180 degrees around the bottom from what I could reach with the bumper assembled. Then, I plan to add an additional gusset about midway on the spindle on the inside of the bumper for additional strength. We'll see how that goes.
BikerPepe` likes this.

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

LOTS more welding and some grinding.

With the clevis mounts in place I could put the 2 halves back together and start welding for real!

The welding went very well, but there was a lot of it! It took a lot of time and 'backstepping' and rotating the bumper around to distribute the heat. There were 5 main seams in the bumper, so, I worked on 4 weldments at a time per seam, then rotated the bumper to the opposite seam to keep working. I just kept doing this and adding onto the last weldment by grinding the starts and stops down to ensure a good penetration and continuous weld at each and every start and stop. That took the most time.

Once the main seam welding was done I started to grind them down and it started to look puuuurty!

The grinding went much faster than anticipated with a good quality 40 grit flap disc. With the seams ground flat to a 90deg joint first with this grit, I then moved to an 80 grit flap disc to start to round them. It worked very well but I still have a ton of finish grinding to do with a 120 grit disc to get nice smooth contours and all the scratches/gouges out.

What methods have other people used to get their weld seams nice & smooth & consistent? I almost think I need to using a sanding block. Otherwise, I'll need to just be super careful and artistic with the angle grinder...
BikerPepe` and 445 FE Bronco like this.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 79 with a 460 dana 60's rear 35 spline full spool. front welded with hidro asst. 9" of lift on 44 bo
Garage
What methods have other people used to get their weld seams nice & smooth & consistent? I almost think I need to using a sanding block. Otherwise, I'll need to just be super careful and artistic with the angle grinder...[/QUOTE]

What I did after the 80 grit flapper disc. I used a air D.A. with 80 grit to 120 grit.

for the love of mud.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:07 AM

Bronco Info: 1992 EB 5.8L, 4" lift, 33x11.50-16
Looking very nice!

I just used 40 then 80 flapper discs on mine.
vrewald likes this.

"The welfare of the people has long been the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Bronco Info: 1986 302 fuel injected 6" lift
Nice looking bumper Man! You've put in a lot of time and effort and it's paying off. Can't wait to see the final product.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintskeerd View Post
Nice looking bumper Man! You've put in a lot of time and effort and it's paying off. Can't wait to see the final product.

Thanks for all the comments guys! I'm looking forward to making more progress this weekend. Sounds like there's no hidden secret to smoothing those seams out.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco
Love what you are doing. It is looking great. Watching to see final results.

You are correct in being concerned about cracking in the spindle. Which is actually a trailer spindle. This is a common problem. One solution I have found is to sleave the bottom portion of the spindle. Weld the sleave in the bumper then all that is needed is to weld the bottom end and 4 plug welds around the sleave to the spindle. There is a kit with all the needed parts to accomplish.
I like the heavy duty version with 1-3/4" spindle. There is a lighter version with 1-1/4" spindle.
https://www.comp4x4.com/collections/...nt=25996602947
BikerPepe` and vrewald like this.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1992 EB 5.8L, 4" lift, 33x11.50-16
I used the Comp 4x4 setup as well... I really like how it is designed.

"The welfare of the people has long been the alibi of tyrants" - Albert Camus
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Frame brackets & mock-up

Alright I was able to get my fame brackets cut and start my mock-up. The brackets are 3/8" plate and I'm using 3 - 5/8" Grade 8 bolts to bolt to the frame.

Here you can clearly see 2 of the 3 pre-existing holes in the frame I will be using. The 3rd hole is covered up by the clamp.

After much finagling and measuring, I finally tacked the bumper to the brackets on the frame and welded her up. I was happy with how this bead turned out.

Next I welded in my schedule 80 pipe

Chopped off the excess and ground down flush. I had to re-weld a few areas because I didn't get enough penetration in some spots.

A look at the backside...

A look at the inside. You can just barely see the penetration, so I figured I was ok.

Backside with the receiver tube installed. I specifically left a good chunk hanging out the back so I could weld on 2 chain link for when I'm towing and need to use safety chains.

That's all for now!

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:50 AM
Busy Plowing...

Bronco Info: '95 XLT, 5.8/E4OD/MassAir/6" lift/4.56's/35x12.5 BFG AT-KO2 or 33x12.5 GYW Duratrac
Garage
really nice work. I'm in for the edu-ma-cation.
vrewald likes this.

"When life throws you a curve... LEAN INTO IT!"

SuperMotors - Since 2002
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1995 XLT. Ghetto K&N setup. That's all for now. Also have a 1980 in the garage in pieces.
NICE.
vrewald likes this.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 302 fuel injected 6" lift
Can't wait to see the front bumper thread!

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 PM
rolling Rolling ROLLING....

Bronco Info: 93 Cherokee
nice but for strength i would have run the brackets thru the bumper

Tim

Newest token Jeep owner....

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode