Body Off Frame Stand / Support Help Needed - Ford Bronco Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Yukon Cornelius
  • 1 Post By Dman94X

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco - 400 - C6 - 205 - Dana 60 rear - HD Dana 44 front - 4.10's - 4" Lift - 33's on 16.5's
Body Off Frame Stand / Support Help Needed

Hi All - Going to pull the body off of the Bronco this weekend (build thread here; Project Mayhem - 79 Bronco Build ) and I need some ideas about a stand for it. I need to be able to roll a motorcycle trailer under the body for storage and also be able to get under the body to repair, clean, and paint.

Any ideas? Not sure what the body would weigh. It is complete with the full interior and everything in place. I would guess it has to be close to 2,000 pounds, anyone know for sure?

I was thinking about cross pieces, maybe 4x4 or 4x6, that are supported outside the width of the wheels. That way I could roll the chassis out from underneath it and roll it back when I am done. Just a thought.

Any ideas and / or any pictures of what others have done would be appreciated.

Thanks!
huck2080 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Yukon buddy. Check out my thread starting here:

79 Bronco Katy Texas Build

I built a wooden dolly that worked out well for me.

Let me know what you think.

Did you ever get the body mounts off?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco - 400 - C6 - 205 - Dana 60 rear - HD Dana 44 front - 4.10's - 4" Lift - 33's on 16.5's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Yukon buddy. Check out my thread starting here:

79 Bronco Katy Texas Build

I built a wooden dolly that worked out well for me.

Let me know what you think.

Did you ever get the body mounts off?
I was looking at that cart, but was hoping to find something that kept the supports wider than the cab. I only have so much realestate in my driveway and the body has to share the space with a motorcycle trailer. Plus I need to be able to get under the body to work on it.

Regarding the body mounts, I took your advice and used the grinder. Worked great! I have to say your build thread is awesome! Whenever I need inspiration for my project I go straight to your thread
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Bronco Info: 1994 XLT and 1996 XL
I used old boat bunks cut down to size across the body mounts and long carriage bolts to bolt them down. I put 8" casters on the bottom so I can move the body around.

When I need it up in the air, I use stands made out of 12" 2x4's layered over each other and screwed together. I can get it all the way up to where the roof touches my ceiling. It takes a little work to get it up and down, but it only has to transition a few times.

79BroncoSpringTx likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:14 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco 460 c6
a video over on youtube . they used scaffolding and got it up fairly high .. just gotta let your inner redneck out
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 PM

Bronco Info: finally on the road 1979 XLT. 4.56 gears,rear Detroit locker front easy locker,36s, 410m Auto
Hey Yukon, when we did our 79 we built a dolly that left the bottom of the body completely open access except one round bar at rear just behind the center line of rear axle. It had a rail on each side that fit up into the slots that run down each side of the rocker panel. We jacked the truck up as high as we could, rolled the dolly under the truck then lowered the truck back down onto the dolly. The axles then had to be pulled so the frame could be lowered and slid out the back. If you click my r79bronco link below and look at picture 5 under Tex that should help you under stand my rambling.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice. I think I got it figured out so I bought my lumber for the stand. It is basically just two 8' long 4"x6" horizontal beams that will go across the body where the body mounts attach (one front one back) and a vertical 4'x6' beam on each end of each of the horizontal beams supporting it. Kind of like two saw horses made out of 4x6 beams with the vertical supports outside the width of the body. That way I will be able to roll the chassis out from underneath the body while the body is on its own stand. The two "saw horses" will be tied into each other to make sure they do not fall over.

I will post some pics next weekend when I have them built.
huck2080 likes this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode