Home Made Projects or tools - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:15 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
okay cody i stand corrected.
guess it saves on weight or some such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

I dig this thread! Here's some pics of my BS. I make pretty much everything in my shop and since I'm anal and HATE MIG welds even my tables, etc. get TIG welded.

Benchtop mill cart.

A couple welds on it.

Vice stand - on a corp 14 drum

Bender stand (part of the shelf I build can be seen to the right)

Welder cart

You can see the tube rack up in the corner of this one.

Tables

Oh - and the vice on the hitch mount reminded me - ALL of my tables have hitch mounts welded to them - like this

I then have vices, beverly shear (pic below), tube notchers, etc. mounted so they plug into my tables
post #83 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Lick my balls

Bronco Info: 1989 bronco, 3" suspension lift, rebuilt 302 with cam, 33' big-os
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTruck754 View Post
What the heck do you build, that you need a 2" thick table with 1 1/4" gussets?

there is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people.
Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying
No matter where you go or what you do, you live your entire life within the confines of your head
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it

post #84 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM

It was a retired inspection table. I looked at the auction wrong when I bought it (bad pic) and thought it was one of the cast inspection tables with the ribs the way they had it. Damn table top alone weighed 1300 lbs!!!!

It was a "smaller" table and due to the height I built the stand at, as well as the narrow footprint of the base/wheels it was a bit top heavy. When I moved from the house to the shop it almost came over on me when I was getting it off the lift gate of the truck. It was at that point I decided to sell it and build the 1" think one (1st one in the table pics) with the $$.

Here's a couple more pics of that thick one to give you an idea of what it was

post #85 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
i would have kept that slab of steel as a traction weight. ever find something really stuck that needs to move just toss that in the bed of the truck and you'll have more traction than you can dream of.
used to know a guy that kept a hand full of 55 gallon plastic drums just for that purpose. any time people got stuck they'd call him and he'd toss the barrels in his truck then fill em all up and cap em.
truck was about two inches from the bump stops but once he dropped it in gear it just kept pullin till something gave.
usually it was the chain or what ever was doin the stuckin.
how thick of metal can you cut with that shear? and how long of a cut can it make at one go.
post #86 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:45 AM

That "slab of steel" was a bit too heavy to mess with "throwing in the bed". It was tough to get that table to roll, let alone pick it up.

As for the shear - that is the old #1 which was the smallest they make. I now have a #2 and found a buddy a #3 so I can use that if I have to. Capacity varies by shear size & lists of that can be seen here.
http://vansantent.com/sheet_metal_ma...erly_shear.htm

As for how long of a cut. Well, it's a throatless shear, so you can cut as long as you want...
post #87 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:56 PM

i meant how long was the jaw on it. i know you can keep cutting as long as you want i was just curious how far it would make it in one cut before you moved the materiel up.
and for the slab of steel put it wide side down weld four shackles on top and have a beefy engine lift to jack it up then just back the truck up under it and lower it down.
that is what i would do.
post #88 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM

Jaws are about 6" if I remember right. You can usually cut about 4" before you have to move the piece. I don't use the thing a ton but it sure comes in handy when you need the thing.

That old slab of a table is long gone now. The guy may even have it in Costa Rica by now. And stil way too much effort for some weight in the back. I'll just keep some carpet in the truck to use for traction or use the winch...
post #89 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 PM

true enough its a bit of effort.
better method would be the big plastic drums i mentioned or one of these
they aren't too terribly expensive and when they aren't being used you just drain it and roll it up and put it where ever you want.
they come in a few different sizes too and i think you can stack up two of them for extra weight.
post #90 of 162 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Eh - still too much $$. I like the drum idead best out of what I've heard. Then again I'm not the type to do any of the above.
post #91 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1986 351W TTB Bronco, 35's and beadlocks.

Clean-Dezert.org HELP KEEP OUT DESERTS CLEAN AND OPEN!

'86 Bronco Chase/restore build thread..

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=187295
post #92 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM

Nice bender stand.

Here's another shot of my hydro conversion/stand. A couple things I would change. Not enough to interest me in re-doing the thing though. Also I think I would go with the HF ram like you did next time around, due to $$ but my electric pump and hydro ram work well.
post #93 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM

what are the specs on that pump? i wanted to build it horizonal like that, but ergonomically it wouldnt work. it is painfully slow, but deadly accurate. i do want to add a two stage pump eventually though. i am pleased with the direct line of sight angle, and pivot. i didnt have to make an extension, but i am going to end up losing a lot of usable travel out of the stroke, but its not like its that hard to change pin location.

still need to quite a bit of cantilever reinforcing, as i used .090 mild steel LOL. i did reinforce the mounting holes with 3/16 chassis tabs though.

also... flipping sweet tig work, jealous,, and nice 1000+ investment on dies :).... one day ill be baller enough to step up to 240 dies

post #94 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:47 PM

cantilever table

post #95 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtFiend602 View Post
what are the specs on that pump?...

still need to quite a bit of cantilever reinforcing, as i used .090 mild steel LOL. i did reinforce the mounting holes with 3/16 chassis tabs though.

also... nice 1000+ investment on dies :).... one day ill be baller enough to step up to 240 dies
Forgot the specs on the pump and 4 way valve/switch. Noth were used, eBay specials - just like everything else I do.

Good to see you realize you need to reinforce that stand. These rams exert more pressure on the parts than most people realize...

And you'd crap yourself if you realized just how little I have spent on dies. The ones in the pic are probably 1/4 of what I own (I have multiple radius' of the common sizes). Also I have MAYBE 1/2 of your $$ figure them. I only paid semi real $$ (still I got it "used" new in box but from someone who bought it and didn't use it) for the 2"er - which is my only 90* die.

Last edited by ChaseTruck754; 07-01-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling - as usual
post #96 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 PM

i waited a year in between my bender and die purchases.. tmr customs had a blowout, and took full advantage of that. I just need a 240 2", and 1 3/4" and ill be good to go. there is a machinist on ebay who is now making dies for pro-tools benders at fractional cost. waiting for him to design a 1 3/4, but he says he cant find a big enough piece to start from.

I'd imagine even if you used .250, without some form of cross member or bracing, i can see a ton of twisting on those uprights, even just bending thin wall stuff.

how does the 4 way valve, switch work? multiple speeds? forward/reverse?

post #97 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:02 PM

4 way is really a 3 way in my case - Forward, Neutral and Reverse. If I remember right my ram is 14" or so and I can do prety dang close to a 90* bend in 1 shot without moving the pin and it takes 30 seconds or so.
I've had JD2 benders (I've owned 4 or so) for years and when I got them ProTools stuff was a LOT harder to find around. Now it seems they are easier...

When I did this setup one of my buddies had a JD2 (the one used to build my ranger) and another had a ProTools. I went with the JD2 as dies were MUCH easier to find since I bought all of my stuff used. Now it seems the pro tools stuff is easier to find almost.

As for the eBay dies - just be sure the material he is using is up to par as far as hardening, etc. Once the die gets knicked it'll start marring every tube you run through it and that sucks...
post #98 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:03 PM

post #99 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-16-2011, 03:39 PM

post #100 of 162 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 AM

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > Fabrication, Tools, Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode