Installing a 3G alternator
Note: Fireguy50 is out-of-business.

130 ammp 3G At IDLE it cranked out more than 100AMPS
[IMGhttp://www.fuelinjectedford.com/public/alternator/Alt-idle_output.jpg[/IMG]

It MAXED out at 135AMPS

The last junkyard 3G alternator I had tested cranked out 150AMPS max
My personal 3G cranks out 165AMPS max.
This is what a 200A 3G will do:

I don't care what other people and internet sites say about the 3G alternators, or what claims they make about other alternators. As far as I know I'm the only person to publish the actual testing.

Those are the facts as I know it. Prove me wrong, or shut up

See less See more
#52 ·
Sixlitre said:
Ain't gonna find parts for that ricer piece on Sunday, deep into buttf#%&k county, 12 hwys off the interstate.

The nearest Taurus in a local junkyard (or dark parking lot) will yield a temporary replacement for Ryan's 3G, if it ever gives you trouble (not likely).

Sixlitre
If it's a direct swap (cept for 1/2 inch belt length), why couldn't you use that taurus alt if the big mitsu craps out??

#54 ·
B-man said:
Damn, ANOTHER upgrade to do.. I am going to be installing a winch soon, so maybe this upgrade should happen as well.. Got some pick yards that carry a bunch of cars.. Hopefully I can find one of these alternators.
Naaa

If you're already 3G, then you're GGGolden

OX1

Apart from the different mounting ears(like 85F150 notes), I'd bet at least one molar tooth they ain't wired with the same plugs either.

Sixlitre

#55 ·
85f150 said:
look at the big mitsu case, it has different style mounting like a diesels, not the norm 6 and 12 positions.
Good point!! I'm thinkin it fits where a 3G fits, so it would swap. Totally overlooked the mounting, DUH!!! :brownbag

#56 ·
OX1 said:
Sorry, thought it was a re-packaged large case. Anyway, what do you think of that alt?? Found it here for $173.

http://autoexpress.safeshopper.com/1311/cat1311.htm?342
That sounds like a good deal. :shrug
Sixlitre said:
Apart from the different mounting ears(like 85F150 notes), I'd bet at least one molar tooth they ain't wired with the same plugs either.

Sixlitre
Will you ship teeth to Michigan :slap

#57 ·
Fireguy50 said:
That sounds like a good deal. :shrug

Will you ship teeth to Michigan :slap
D'oh ! :duh

Wait ! I'm invoking the tiny little white wire (w/black tracer) single plug that ain't there on the wanna-be Dodge alternator !

Sixlitre

#58 ·
Some things never change... Ryan ya get that bronco of yours into the sub16 sec 1/4 mile times yet? ;-)
And BTW anytime you want to argue the 3G durability issue I have the perfect test for it....and it's not on some alt tester either..... but it will see if it has any stamina. The Large case Ford is hard to beat providing you get a quality rebuilt/new one... so is the large case GM...both have huge bearings, huge components period and run much cooler. They also will easily accept modifications to run SERIOUS wire so as to not have a situation where the alt can feed more than the wiring can stand..... and BTW I missed the explanation for why Ford didn't use the 3G on industrial/fleet/HD applications?

NoRM
Who has a 3G on my car (Same place Ford used them).... not on my truck.

#59 ·
kf4amu said:
My cup runeth over!! I couldnt ask for a better post to entice a debate!!!
-Will
89 XLT 460
No debate in my mind, 3G wins for;

1.) compatability to existing brand.
2.) ease and cost in junkyards.
3.) cure all for electrical problems on 80-86s
4.) flawless operation for four years under my hood
5.) more than enough power for all my stock and aftermarket needs.

Sixlitre

#60 ·
Sixlitre said:
No debate in my mind, 3G wins for;

1.) compatability to existing brand.
Sixlitre
Not sure what this means but I'm sure its true. It sounds good anyway.

Sixlitre said:
2.) ease and cost in junkyards.
Sixlitre
Definitely I agree. 15 bucks for another alternator. Can't go wrong.
Sixlitre said:
3.) cure all for electrical problems on 80-86sSixlitre
Wouldnt know.
Sixlitre said:
4.) flawless operation for four years under my hoodSixlitre
Thats cool, but its kinda sad when a good standard for an alternator is 4 years of life.
Sixlitre said:
5.) more than enough power for all my stock and aftermarket needs.
Sixlitre
10 amps - 50 watt 2 meter ham radio
20 amps - 4 55 watt lights on roof rack
20 amps - headlights
20 amps - fire dept strobe lights
10 amps - blower motor for AC/heat
20 amps - ignition/CB/radar detector/dome light/other small draw things (guessing here)
That leaves 30 amps available. I can't think of much else I would need beside a big stereo or a winch. And if I was winching I could live with turning off the AC and strobe lights

So far I cant think of what I could have to overdraw my 3G.

But then again, I've never put it to the test for an extended period of time, or in dirty conditions, which seems to be everyone's complaints.
-Will
89 XLT 460

#61 ·
I see the same problem with these little japper alt's as I had with Mopar alternators... Open frame design. It's great for cooling and running to the mall, but mud and dust kills em. Fast. I'm running the stock A/C option FoMoCo alt in my 78 and it's been wheelin me 9 years w/o a hiccup. My Bronco has the original dual battery setup but I only run it with one red top, use the other battry space for a ammo can toolbox. I have a Lincoln large case for a backup that's just been sitting there all this time. I guess I just missed why this machine is needed. Aren't they the ones that caught fire?

#62 ·
kf4amu said:

But then again, I've never put it to the test for an extended period of time, or in dirty conditions, which seems to be everyone's complaints.
-Will
89 XLT 460
I overwork mine all the time, or overwork my belts. Plowing, with roof strobes going, 100 watt highbeams on, E-fans on high, And then picking up the plow with a motor that is basically a starter motor.

Mine usually stays at 14 except when i pick the plow up, the belts start screamin for dear life then. It drops to 11 volts but that is good compared to my stock 65 amp that would never go above 12 the whole time plowing

#63 ·
kf4amu said:
Not sure what this means but I'm sure its true. It sounds good anyway.

(Ford to Ford)Definitely I agree. 15 bucks for another alternator. Can't go wrong.

Yep

Wouldnt know.

Kiss the ground and be thankfulThats cool, but its kinda sad when a good standard for an alternator is 4 years of life.

...and counting. That's just how long it's been since the conversion

10 amps - 50 watt 2 meter ham radio
20 amps - 4 55 watt lights on roof rack
20 amps - headlights
20 amps - fire dept strobe lights
10 amps - blower motor for AC/heat
20 amps - ignition/CB/radar detector/dome light/other small draw things (guessing here)
That leaves 30 amps available. I can't think of much else I would need beside a big stereo or a winch. And if I was winching I could live with turning off the AC and strobe lights

I've got a honkin' great stereo with a 1200 and 1400 watt amplifiers and 9 speakers. With everything running at night I can see into the next county with the headlights and that 's good enough for me.

All this and the volt meter stays pegged at 14.75 volts!

I's happy

-Will
89 XLT 460
Sixlitre

#65 ·
Add a 30 amp electric fan to my above calculations...and I've maxed my 3G.

And I never even went into all the radios I want to have in it. Mobile packet/APRS, HF. These things will draw much more.

And I never put a stereo in the mix.

I need dual alternators

-Will
89 XLT 460

#66 ·
So I might be an idiot, but what about the connectors off the back? Can I just go to a parts store and get the harness or use my stock. I found a 3g in the junkyard today for $45.00, but want to still research this swap. I can build the larger gauge wires for the main hook-up, but what about the "special" connectors.

#68 ·
kf4amu said:
Add a 30 amp electric fan to my above calculations...and I've maxed my 3G.

And I never even went into all the radios I want to have in it. Mobile packet/APRS, HF. These things will draw much more.

And I never put a stereo in the mix.

I need dual alternators

-Will
89 XLT 460
Is that really the case? If the loads are more than the alternator can put out then the battery will do the extra work, for a while at least. If you really are running that much load then wouldn't a second battery would be more helpful than a second alternator?

#69 ·
I guess it would help smooth out the loads, probably a better option than dual alternators. But I was only half kidding anyway. Before I go through the expense of dual alternators I'd just add another battery or turn some stuff off :)
-Will
89 XLT 460

#70 ·
kf4amu said:
Instead of getting that alternator, pay me to get one for you. 15 bucks from my junkyard.

You can use whatever gauge wires you want. Its just a stud on the back, I'm using 2 gauge wire.
-will
89 XLT 460
I'm still looking for a possible better deal. That was just one junkyard around here.
I'm refering to the "pigtail" harness. I can figure out the heavy gauge wiring but where the others are on the back I'm trying to find out if I need to change or upgrade those.

#71 ·
I dont think so. But do yourself a favor and order the harness from Ryan McCormick (Fireguy50).
Its a good well built harness, no one has been unhappy with it thats has bought it. I myself have to wait a couple weeks before I get it cuz I'm poor, but in the meantime....

It works fine.

#72 ·
You might be able to get those connectors from a parts store; they surprise me sometimes with what they have. Ryan makes a good harness. I cut one out of a Taurus, made a couple of changes, and made my charge cable out of it too.

#74 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for all of the info..Here I was looking to swap my old worn out external regulated POS for a Chevy 1 wire (Can I say that here?)
Ended up working very nicely!!!
I've got a rear mounted radiator in my Bronco and a couple 20+amp fans...this alternator definatly does the trick!

#76 ·
I am looking at a 3G on ebay. It is Serp drive. I need a v-belt. Would the pully on my stock bronco swap onto it? All 3g's that I have looked at up close have been serp. I can't find a v-belt 3g. Does anyone have one they will sell cheap?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.