Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Seats

37K views 82 replies 40 participants last post by  stan the man 
#1 ·
What seats do you all recommend getting? I was looking at Mastercraft seats just for the pure comfort they allow, but darn are they $$$. I am willing to shell out the money for quality seats like that, I just need to know which ones are worth getting and which ones people like.

My truck:
1996 Daily driver.
Sees a mixed terrain offroad. Usually slow trails with rocks and ruts, etc (California Sierras), but also goes fast in Pismo occasionally.

Reason for new seats:
Front driver and passenger backs wobble like crazy front to back and side to side. Maybe it is just something with the internals and I can pull them out and adjust it, maybe its time for new seats. Other than wobbly backs, the seats are in great condition.

Which seats are nice, comfortable, and worth spending the $$ on? Oh, and I would like to keep the tan color interior and leather matching (or similar, something that will flow with the rear bench).

#36 ·
I will be changing my seat covers to pleather from tweed. It was to easy. With tweed the seats never cleanedup good and were allways dusty. Had a chance prerun in a friends highend truck with the MCs g3 covered in pleather and plastic. Felt good and was very easy when it came to cleanup.

#45 ·
:stupid There is no comparison to the comfort of a suspension seat. I don't care about all the bolsters, I was comfort.

I was just browsing another forum, totally unrelated to the seats, and saw that. Blew my mind! :toothless:toothless

Do you REALLY need folding? Why not use a lowback and put it on one of the flip up bases that came stock? I would think a lowback would be able to flip forward enough to let someone get to the rear.

Even then walking through the middle of the seats isn't that hard.
I don't want low backs. I don't want to snap my neck in an accident. Climbing over the center is lame. I don't want people trashing my truck with muddy and sandy feet.

#44 ·
Do you REALLY need folding? Why not use a lowback and put it on one of the flip up bases that came stock? I would think a lowback would be able to flip forward enough to let someone get to the rear.

Even then walking through the middle of the seats isn't that hard.

I did try the highback flip forward thing in my extracab ranger a few years back. I made the front bolts of the seat mount sit in bushings and I use lynch pins through the rear bolt holes. Seemed like it was gonna work well until the headrest hit the roof before the seat had folded forward enough:doh0715:

Oh - and if people are looking for seats - I've got 3 pairs of used ones for sale. 2 sets of black highbacks and a set of black/grey lowbacks.

#48 ·
Just sayin. There is a reason the reclinable ones are not race legal...

I guess they MIGHT hold up as well as an OEM type though.

Oh - and if the lowbacks worry you about the no headrest deal - be prepared to custom order your seats extra tall. OR at least go sit in the seats you plan on buying BEFORE you get them to make sure they are tall enough. I don't consider myself a tall guy at only 5'-10" but the typical "highback" headrest hits me at the top of the neck = hardly qualifying for a "headrest"

Oh and for the sandy/muddy feet comment ---> so you'll let people get in the back with sandy/muddy feet - you just won't let them walk between (or step over - it's easy) the center 2 seats to get back there:thumbup

#49 ·
Okay I'm going to give a slightly better answer so I don't sound like a douche from my last post :thumbup

You consider yourself tall at 5'10"? I'm 6'7", there's no way in hell a low back will work for me. Just picture it. I actually don't want to picture it because it scares me :whiteflag That seat would come to what? My mid back?

I don't race, don't plan on ever racing this truck. Just wanted some good seats :thumbup The latches could fail, but so can the mounting brackets, bolts, etc. on any seat.

As for the feet thing, I don't want people tearing up my interior to get in the back. If I can keep my interior and brand new seats looking good (the condition not necessarily dirt), then I'd spring for the extra money to do so.

Hope that helps explain my answers :beer

#50 ·
I get it. No douchiness intended on my part either:beer

I just don't really trust the reclining or folding suspension seats. For most they will work fine.

As far as them failing as much as the mounts, etc. - not to be over confident but I bet the reclinable seats would fail before my mounts:thumbup

And for your height - I said I DON'T consider myself tall at 5'-10" - but I sure would at 6'-7". I doubt you'll find any seat that has a "useable" headrest for you at that height.

In fact, I bet the normal seats come up to about the same spot on you as a lowback comes on someone of more average height. So your 1st "I don't wanna break my neck" comment about the lowbacks is kinda out the window on that one;)

#51 ·
And for your height - I said I DON'T consider myself tall at 5'-10" - but I sure would at 6'-7". I doubt you'll find any seat that has a "useable" headrest for you at that height.

Whoopsies! Skipped over that word :toothless Its all good. I don't have money for seats. I'll rock the stockers till they collapse.

#53 ·
#57 ·
Stan any update on seats? I am looking into the PRP daily driver. I know most broncospeed folks left but I am hoping to get some information on the company and how theyre seats are.

#59 ·
PRPs aren't bad for the vast majority of folks. From what I have heard they shipped production to China, but who hasn't... Plus it helps them keep their prices down. they have always been on the more affordable end of the suspension seat game, but they are pretty good. Not quite something I'd put in a race truck but good enough for most people's toys.

Just stay away from the race trim seats unless you want to buy new covers in 2 months:smilie_slap

Those mastercraft 3G's in the second pic though - if you've got the bank account for them they are a great seat. While I don't have the 3G's (not a fan of the super wide top/headrest) my Mastercraft Pro 4's with the removeable cushion are SWEEEEEEET

#58 ·
If you want flip forward high-back seats, be careful, I made a limiting strap, and it broke. This led to the seat hitting the windshield and breaking the windshield. Ooops, now my master-crafts are solid mounted.

now my seats are cage mounted, and you have to climb into the back through the center, but something to think about. The fixed suspension seats are awesome, but don't have enough trail time yet to know how they will be on the trail.

#62 ·
I would love the 3g seats. A set is for sale down here for 750 obo with 5 points. I have heard great things about the PRP and they are not a race seat. I have read they are great and for the money cant be beat.

#66 ·
I ordered a few of the cheaper reclining seats from Amazon (Rugged Ridge, Smittybilt) and took a look at them when they arrived. I returned both since the quality is nowhere near the same as the Mastercraft Baja RS seats.

I ended up grabbing the Baja RS seats and couldn't be happier. Bolted them up to the stock sliders and still have 100% the same functionality as the OEM seats which is key with my extracab and I'm sure with the Bronco also.

#70 ·
Those are some sweet seats they have just been added to my ever growing wish list

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.