Utah BroncoSpeed - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 262 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco
thats the cleanest damn engine compartment ive ever seen!

Ram it down Mr. Halford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
mda

Dragging this back from page 5......Updates???
post #83 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Utah Broncospeed

Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD @ 170,000! - AutoFab 16" System, SAW Shocks, Goodyear SilentArmor 35x12.50-15
Garage
July Update 1...not much to report

MDA, et al.,

Not much to report for now. I've been busy with a lot of business and personal travel since late June, and the fabricators are up to their necks with other projects...and their regular careers.

My primary fabricator is a designer for large trade show displays/booths...like the size you would see at the national Outdoor Retailers Convention (e.g., Camelback, etc.) held locally here in SLC at the Salt Palace. So he has been occupied with his 'normal' job.

That's fine with me for now. I've told both fabricators that, "I am not in a rush, and that I want it done right...the first time." So...they've taken that to heart and are working steadily and surely.

Besides, all the parts are in except for the Hellas, and rear 8.8 diff cover. Still undecided about a rear disk brake conversion though. Not sure of where to source a complete bolt-on/weld-on kit for the 8.8 rear...

The convention/show is actually today through Friday, so I expect things to progress on the Bronco build here again shortly. As for me, I'm back on the road to NJ weekly, and then off to Europe in August...so this is a great time to have the truck in the shop...with me away and not worrying about things...

Hopefully another update this weekend or on the 31st.

Thanks.

Brad - KF6PSL
Sandy (Salt Lake City), Utah
1996 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab, Mastercraft, RaceRunner, Bassani & Magnaflow, Hella, General Grabber, American Racing, Yukon, Eaton TT, Advanced ACS, PATC, FRPP, Accel, SONY/Kicker/Massive...

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=146007

post #84 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM

Bronco Info: 84 351w C6, Autofab suspension
Quote:
Originally Posted by denhabr View Post
Still undecided about a rear disk brake conversion though. Not sure of where to source a complete bolt-on/weld-on kit for the 8.8 rear...
If you decide you need rear discs, your simplest choice would be an Explorer set-up. Buy all the parts at a wrecking yard then replace the calipers with rebuilt units, new pads and rotors from any parts store.
post #85 of 262 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Bronco Info: Stretched 96 5.8 with many desert mods.
rear disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveG View Post
If you decide you need rear discs, your simplest choice would be an Explorer set-up. Buy all the parts at a wrecking yard then replace the calipers with rebuilt units, new pads and rotors from any parts store.
========================
Finished Disk Brake Conversion

I had Wilwood with explorer hat/drum. I hated it. The drum gets full of pebbles and make a racket and eat up the shoes. The park brake is still marginal. Now I have JY Ford Tauru calipers, which use a cam to operate the disk pads for a parking brake.
Several Bronco vendors sell kits with all new hardware.
I have the Cadillac calipers (cam park brake) conversion on the 9" on my EB. Supplied by BCBroncos. Both my solutions are more expensive than Steves diy suggestion, however both can be a diy JY project except for the Wilwood calipers.
If you have an auto probably you hardly ever use the park brake - something to think about.
PW
post #86 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Utah Broncospeed

Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD @ 170,000! - AutoFab 16" System, SAW Shocks, Goodyear SilentArmor 35x12.50-15
Garage
August Update 1 (finally...!)

Things are finally picking up again. The primary fabricator is back at work on the Bronco, now wrapping up the front suspension this week with TTB beam gusseting and boxing...focusing a lot of work on the driver's beam.

Attached are 4 shots of their latest work of the driver's beam...

? ? ? Question: So, with a 4" Autofab 'lift', and with new-found travel front and back (16" and 18"), what length of new brake lines lines should I purchase?

I checked in with Crown Performance, and the stock OEM lines are 22" in the front, and 18" in the rear. Do I just go with a 4" extended line...or do I have to compensate for the travel as well? Is there some sort of algorithm I could use? The contact person at Crown just left it up to me.

Anyone other brake line manufacturer you folks recommend?

My fabricators move on to the rear 8.8" and suspension later this week. Maybe I'll have some shots of the 8.8 out, 4.56 r&p with the TruTrac install, truss work, aluminum FMS diff cover, and the Autofab leafs/upper shock mounts in soon!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 1.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	11956   Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 2.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	11957   Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 3.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	11958   Click image for larger version

Name:	TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 4.jpg
Views:	1170
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	11959  

Brad - KF6PSL
1996 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab, Mastercraft, RaceRunner, Bassani & Magnaflow, Hella, General Grabber, American Racing, Yukon, Eaton TT, Advanced ACS, PATC, FRPP, Accel, SONY/Kicker/Massive...

post #87 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM

You crazy kids and your trusses.
post #88 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 PM

Admit it Steve. Trusses are cool. I like the skidplate. Strikingly familiar.

post #89 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 PM

Bronco Info: 1980 Prerunner GT40 331 stroker C6 9" 4.56 caged King coilover & bypass shocks Deaver springs
Have you checked the truss for clearance with the tie rods?

Dave Moore
post #90 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Bronco Info: 93 Bronco Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit View Post
Have you checked the truss for clearance with the tie rods?

X2
That truss looks to stick out quite a ways.
post #91 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 PM
What?

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, Crate 400 c.i., 4 speed, some lift n some tirez n shit
badass bronco man! so what shop exactly are you having this done at?
post #92 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Utah Broncospeed

Garage
TTB Truss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philofab View Post
X2
That truss looks to stick out quite a ways.
Yup, it does. And yes, I spoke to my primary welder and both he and main fabricator did indeed measure twice and cut once. However, the proof is in the pudding...and when it's all bolted together and rests on it's own weight, we'll know for sure. Then we'll see just how much real-world clearance there is. As you can tell, there is room to radius the nose of the truss at it's highest point.

News at 11:00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liftedbroncboy View Post
badass bronco man! so what shop exactly are you having this done at?
Thanks. The work is being performed near my home in Salt Lake City, Utah. The primary fabricator is a CAD designer and fabricator who owns Ojive Industries (formerly HoleShotOffroad), based out of Sandy, UT. The actual shop and secondary fabricator/primary welder is located at dp custom fab, in Centerville, UT (about 15 miles north of SLC.)

The pics below of the '96 Ranger prerunner is an example of some of the previous work they've done: http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/...cab/index.html

and: http://www.dpcustomfab.com/

Thanks for asking...I'm sure these guys appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0409or_01z+1996_Ford_Ranger_Super_Cab+Front_Passenger_Side_View.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	11961   Click image for larger version

Name:	0409or_04z+1996_Ford_Ranger_Super_Cab+Rear_Bed_Cage_Fender_Removed.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	11962  

Brad - KF6PSL

post #93 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Utah Broncospeed

Garage
August Update 2

The TTB is in, bolted up, shocks positioned and springs in place...and getting checked for final clearances. Numerous calls back to John to find out the optimal location to mount the limit straps.

Note to potential Autofab dual 2.5" shock TTB system buyers: When you purchase the 10" travel TTB S-A-W shocks (the ones that go behind the spring; see previous posts for part numbers,) order them with a 90-degree remote reservoir adapters. The proximity of the engine compartment wiring (and releated crap) on driver's side necessitates a 90-degree fitting coming off the top cap of the shock. And worse, the lower portion of the A/C box (see photo 3) on the passenger side REALLY requires a 90-degree fitting...Big Time! Anyone else run into this issue?

I wish I would have known about that 90-degree fitting when I ordered the shocks.

Also, my fab guys clearanced the front truss slightly where the box-section made about an 1/8" contact with the TTB support. See the close-up photo to see where they scalloped out a section and welded it up. Also note some of the other support plating, doubling, and tabbing they did before reassembly.

The guys are having a lot of fun getting the right seals back on the front hubs and rotors. A real PITA, from what they tell me. Buying the 'right' kit is more of an art than a science...especially when Checkers Auto Parts lists 99 different part numbers for the seals. Glad it's them and not me. I'd be swearing up a storm.

They also got the 8.8" axle and rear leafs out yesterday. Took the center section apart pulled out the two axles. They told me the passenger side axle is 'toast' (I haven't seen it face to face, so I'm not sure what 'toast' means.) Any suggestions for a source for some new 31-spline HD axles to replace the stockers?

What about an 8.8 diff cover? Mag-Hytec? FMS? Other?

Ordering the disk brake kit from TSM Manufacturing, http://www.tsmmfg.com/2530.htm. $590.00 with calipers.

More next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (2).JPG
Views:	1063
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	12073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (3).JPG
Views:	1068
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	12074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (5).JPG
Views:	1069
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	12075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (9).JPG
Views:	1076
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	12076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (10).JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	12077  

Brad - KF6PSL

post #94 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 PM

Bronco Info: '97 F-250 7.3L snowplow truck
That looks great. Where did you decide to mount the limit straps?
post #95 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 AM

Yes, reservoir hose clearance for the passenger rear shock is super tight. This would be a good application for shocks with the reservoir ported off the bottom of the shock body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The radius arms have a spot for the limit strap. I went straight up from there and mounted the upper end of the strap on the frame.

post #96 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 AM
What?

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, Crate 400 c.i., 4 speed, some lift n some tirez n shit
awesome, i might look into having a pro shp (maybe theres) do a bronco up for me while im in the air force. come home to an awesome bronco. i have the same tires on my cherokee. theyre actually surprisingly loud on the highway for me. havent got to try them in the sand although i really want to.
post #97 of 262 (permalink) Old 08-30-2009, 02:07 AM

Bronco Info: 1980 Prerunner GT40 331 stroker C6 9" 4.56 caged King coilover & bypass shocks Deaver springs
Quote:
Any suggestions for a source for some new 31-spline HD axles to replace the stockers?

What about an 8.8 diff cover? Mag-Hytec? FMS? Other?

Ordering the disk brake kit from TSM Manufacturing, http://www.tsmmfg.com/2530.htm. $590.00 with calipers.
Here is a link to Moser engineering they can provide you with alloy axles. http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...stomalloy.html

Let me make a suggestion to you with regards to the disk brake set up if you want to stay with the 8.8:
buy a take out axle complete from a 97-03 F150. They are disk brake already and if you go with the alloy shafts just specify that you want 5 x5.5 bolt pattern ( the later trucks used a metric 5 x135mm bolt pattern.) and re-drill the rotors. I am very confident that you can buy the complete axle including calipers a e brake set up for less than $500. I purchased several of them when I was racing in Stock Full. You should consider the C-clip eliminator kit as well.

I used the Ford Motorsports cover on my race truck.

Dave Moore
post #98 of 262 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Utah Broncospeed

Garage
Limit Straps & Axles, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Haven't yet, but my fabricators have been talking with John there at Autofab for his recommendation(s)...so we'll go with what he has, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveG View Post
Yes, reservoir hose clearance for the passenger rear shock is super tight. This would be a good application for shocks with the reservoir ported off the bottom of the shock body. The radius arms have a spot for the limit strap. I went straight up from there and mounted the upper end of the strap on the frame.
Thanks. I'll copy down your pictures and send it to my fabricators. That (with what advice John offers) will help them find the right location. Agreed on porting the reservoir off the bottom of the housing. Weird that Autofab placed it that close to the A/C box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit View Post
Here is a link to Moser engineering they can provide you with alloy axles. http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...stomalloy.html

Let me make a suggestion to you with regards to the disk brake set up if you want to stay with the 8.8: buy a take out axle complete from a 97-03 F150. They are disk brake already and if you go with the alloy shafts just specify that you want 5 x5.5 bolt pattern ( the later trucks used a metric 5 x135mm bolt pattern.) and re-drill the rotors. I am very confident that you can buy the complete axle including calipers a e brake set up for less than $500. I purchased several of them when I was racing in Stock Full. You should consider the C-clip eliminator kit as well. I used the Ford Motorsports cover on my race truck.
Nice axles there. I'm afraid the Mosers are a bit out of my budget for now...as I wasn't expecting to have to purchase axles right now. I budgeted for the disk brake kit, but not another $250-$400 for axles. Crap. I thought about that too, but right now, I'm a bit limited on time away from work to devote to axle hunting (although hitting junk yards is a great national pasttime!) I've even thought about a complete Currie Prerunner 9" done up right, but I already have the r&p and the TruTrac purchased for the 8.8.

Has anyone had any experience with Bronco Graveyard's axle kits? Like this one kit with 2 axles, wheel bearings, seals and studs and a 5-year warranty (on the shafts) for $179.00?

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...s___studs_.htm

Kinda' new to axle buying.

Brad - KF6PSL

post #99 of 262 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Weird that Autofab placed it that close to the A/C box.
That's funny, I was thinking that it was weird that Ford put the A/C Box so close to the Autofab mount. Ha! There's not a lot of room there to begin with. It's just the way it works out. Like I said before, porting the reservoir off the bottom of the shock would be ideal.
post #100 of 262 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 01:01 AM

Bronco Info: 1990 RIP...95 in the works.
I wouldn't be surprised if those are name brand axles, JBG buys in bulk, so they get good prices from top notch suppliers.

GOFASTBRONCOS.COM

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > BroncoSpeed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode