Driveshaft CV joint trouble - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
Driveshaft CV joint trouble

Question for you "long travel" fellows. I recently built some radius arms for my 78, and now the biggest limitation of travel is my front driveshaft binding. I have about 2" of droop left in my shocks where I had to limit strap it. What kind of driveshafts do you guys use?
As far as I can see, my only options are to clearance the CV, or lower the bronco. Anything else I'm missing?

EDIT: I should add that I have 1310 U-Joints, and the CV is on the T-case end with just a U-joint on the axle

2011 Ford F150 FX4_____1978 Ford Bronco
5.0L, CAI _____________466bbf, 6" lift, 35"tsl/boggers
My build thread!

Last edited by fordaholic495; 06-14-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 PM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Could also clock the t-case. But I think clearancing the CV head would get you some more, tomwoods sells offset u-joints also but may not be best if you have high driveshaft speeds.
My 78 is also strapped right before the front shafts goes into binding, but it happens to also be a good spot for my current shocks too

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Could also clock the t-case. But I think clearancing the CV head would get you some more, tomwoods sells offset u-joints also but may not be best if you have high driveshaft speeds.
My 78 is also strapped right before the front shafts goes into binding, but it happens to also be a good spot for my current shocks too
I looked into those joints. Last time I was at the dunes it wasn't uncommon for me to be doing 50mph in 4hi. With 4.56 gears, that d-shaft is spinning pretty quick. It rides so good now that I want to go fast! Might send my d-shaft back to Tom Woods and have them clearance it, they said it wouldn't void the warranty that way. I bet yours rides a little better than mine because I still have the Skyjacker leafs in mine.

My build thread!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Ford Hoarder

Bronco Info: See Signature
Mine see's 60 regularly out there also (real 60 as my speedo is GPS driven no wheel spin)... If it was mine I think I would send it back for them to clearance. I think I would consider getting a second one so I would have a back up too, but I have been wanting to do that for awhile.
I am guessing ours are opposite, yours is most likely a little better up front and mine a little better out back. The extra long shocks really helped on mine in the rear.
You may have looked but also check your steering linkage for binding at full droop too. If your not over the knuckle it is probably almost maxed out too.

The Street Queen: '92 Eddie Bauer- C6 Swap, Roller 357W 400hp/400ft-lbs, SCT Tuned, 4" Lift, 4.10's,
Go Fastish Build: '78 Custom- 4" Deaver Lift, Mild 460, Full Cage, 4.10's
Build Thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...8-project.html

Last edited by CrazyBRONCOguy; 06-15-2016 at 12:14 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBRONCOguy View Post
Mine see's 60 regularly out there also (real 60 as my speedo is GPS driven no wheel spin)... If it was mine I think I would send it back for them to clearance. I think I would consider getting a second one so I would have a back up too, but I have been wanting to do that for awhile.
I am guessing ours are opposite, yours is most likely a little better up front and mine a little better out back. The extra long shocks really helped on mine in the rear.
You may have looked but also check your steering linkage for binding at full droop too. If your not over the knuckle it is probably almost maxed out too.
Yeah I already know my drag link is too short. I have an adjustable track bar so I'm good there.
I have deaver leafs in my garage, I just don't want to put them in until I have time to set up bump stops and limit straps. As well as build a shock mount crossmember like yours. The skyjackers aren't bad at all, almost wish I would've spent that money on a soft top instead now.

My build thread!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > BroncoSpeed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode