Steering Links with Extended TTB Beams - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer 351, M112 Supercharge, C&T beams, Deaver J40s, 4.56 gears, disc brakes, hydroboost
Steering Links with Extended TTB Beams

I currently run a set of C&T beams on ProComp 4" coils with Deaver J40s and extended shackles in the back, 35" tires. The C&T on my beams was done at the lower ball joint. They are OK, but not great. I think my ball joints need replacing and I suspect the C&T is wearing them faster than is acceptable to me. Rather than just get in the habit of replacing ball joints annually (which is a total PITA), I am thinking about a new set of beams.

I have a spare set of beams and have been considering (for a long time) doing a more sophisticated C&T on them, by cutting and rotating the beam and clocking the 3rd member rather than just kicking out the lower ball joint. However, I also experience tire rubbing on my extended radius arms. It's no big deal, but it is annoying. Accordingly, I have also been considering a slight extension of the beams as well, probably 2" on each side, mostly for clearance.

Here's the question. On an extended TTB, what are people using for steering links? Will the stock center and drag links still work or will they be too short for 2" wider beams? I have searched but have not stumbled across the answer to this question. I suspect most folks going to the trouble and expense of putting in extended beams probably put in custom steering links as well. If I have to go that route, I may not extend them at all and just live with the occasional rubbing (it's not like I'm not used to it by now). Anyway, I am thinking about breaking out the band saw and tig welder this weekend so I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Baxter

My family came to this country from Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: '96 Eddie Bauer 351, M112 Supercharge, C&T beams, Deaver J40s, 4.56 gears, disc brakes, hydroboost
So I am going to answer my own question after several days of research. It seems that if the stock steering links are too short but you want to remain stock (or HD stock) then the solution is to extend and sleeve the connecting link so you can still swap in parts store suspension parts. Of course, many just fab up custom steering systems but the point of this question was related to stock components.

Baxter

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Bronco Info: 90 w/a 95 roller 351 auto, E40d, manual 1356, Warn hubs, skyjacker kit, fully locked
Steering Links with Extended TTB Beams

Custom linkage with heims isn't worth it unless you plan on going single or dual swing set. I tend to see more bump steer when people convert to heims with stock style steering.

I just extended my adjusters the amount my beams were extended minus a half an inch as the adjusters always seem to come to long as they are.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.pennock.79 View Post
I just extended my adjusters the amount my beams were extended mines a half an inch as the adjusters always seem to come to long as they are.
This is what I did. I extended the adjusters 1.5" each. They work great.

Baxter

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > BroncoSpeed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode