The way they achieve this to vilify a segment of society that is in the minority so the masses will support their "worthy" cause and rid society of these evil people.
yep you nailed it. i see it all the time and try to explain it to liberals (hopeless of course) how easy it is to take away ALL freedoms, since they do them one at a time, affecting only a minority group with each one, and the stupid majority goes along with it.
do something that negatively affects 5% of the people, only that 5% will care.. the other 95% won't care much.. easy to take rights away from the 5% then, and move on to the next 5%, rinse and repeat.
no smoking laws, trans fats, farming laws, zoning laws, tax hikes on select groups, vehicle laws, pollution laws, recycling laws, land access laws, land seizes... the list is endless, and everybody is affected by it in some way.