California OHV parks in possible jeopardy - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
gone fish'n

Bronco Info: pile of parts
OHV parks in possible jeopardy

Copied from a BRC email I get all the time.

Quote:
BLUERIBBON COALITION CODE RED ACTION ALERT!

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

Attention California Recreationists!

As many of you already know, the State of California is in fiscal meltdown. One victim of the current budgetary crisis is the CA OHV program. It is one of the very few self-funded "user-pay/user-benefit" government programs in the state. The California legislature has already "borrowed" and diverted $90 million dollars from the OHV Trust Fund to other non-OHV-related programs.

Now the folks under the dome in Sacramento are considering any number of untenable options, including the borrowing of any remaining funds, gutting the program and moving into "regular" state parks, or cutting the basic operating budget of Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) that funds state OHV parks and provides grants to other land agencies.

If there is one time you send a letter to Sacramento... it is TODAY. Send your letter and get as many of your friends to do the same. BRC has provided a sample letter that you can cut and paste and FAX to the following legislators, including the chairperson of each committee. You may also look up your own state representative using BRC's Rapid Response Center. Just type in your zip code at http://www.sharetrails.org/rapid_response and click GO.

2009 Budget Conference Committee Members

Assembly

Noreen Evans - Fax 916-319-2107 (phone 916-319-2007) (Chair)
Roger Niello - Fax 916-319-2105 (phone 916-319-2005)
Bob Blumenfield - fax 916-319-2140 (phone 916-319-2040)
Kevin de Leon - Fax 916-319-2145 (phone 916-319-2045)
Jim Nielsen - Fax916- 319-2102 (phone 916-319-2002)

Senate

Denise Ducheny - Fax 916-327-3522 (phone 916-651-4040) (Chair)
Bob Dutton - Fax 916-327-2272 (phone 916-651-4031)
Mark Leno - Fax 916-445-4722 (phone 916-651-4003)
Alan Lowenthal - Fax 916-327-9113 (phone 916-651-4027)
Mimi Walters - Fax 916-445-9754 (phone 916-651-4033)

Cut and Paste Sample Letter:

Dear (insert name of Legislator):

As a resident of California and a member of the off-highway vehicle (OHV) community, I am asking that you oppose any effort by the legislature to divert OHV trust fund monies to manage state parks that do not allow OHV recreation.

The California Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division of California State Parks is nationally recognized as a model "user-pay/user-benefit" department that effectively blends the following core tenets of OHV recreation: 1) trail/facility maintenance; 2) restoration of legally-closed lands; 3) law enforcement of OHV regulations; and 4) safety/education outreach into an ecologically-balanced OHV program.

I understand the serious nature of California’s budget crisis. However, the state has already borrowed $90 million dollars from the OHV Trust Fund. I again urge your office to oppose any effort by the legislature to divert additional OHV Trust Fund dollars to non-OHV-related projects or programs.

Sincerely,

Your Name and Address

__________________________________________________ _______________

Thanks in advance for your attention to this very serious matter,

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Mentally in Cancun.

Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Blazer. Lifted, locked, and loaded. Where's the Zombies?
Shit sucks, CA is trying to close down any and all state parks.

California Bay Area off road UC4x4.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Cleaning the trails

Bronco Info: 96 Forest Service Retired 188K original miles on the odometer and still going strong
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Shit sucks, CA is trying to close down any and all state parks.

This is they are trying to "borrow" money from OHV taxes that keep the OHV park programs funded. Once it is gone, we will never see it again.

The Budget Committee is looking for ways to save as many state parks as possible. They have now come up with the idea of stealing the gas tax money from OHV and sharing it with all of the others parks.

We need you to contact your own legislator and members of the budget committee with a letter, note or phone call that says don't punish OHV for doing a good job.

Let them know that OHV is user-supported, budgets for law enforcement and environmental concerns, including preservation of endangered species, and has been managed to be prepared for a rainy day. They have also already given ninety million dollars from their acquisition and improvement fund to offset the budget.

OHV parks are among the most visited in the park system. Don't punish those who have supported proper management and user fees by taking away their program.

Looking for So Cal West Coast AAT Volunteers
96 Fed Gov't Surplus 5.8L XL 4" BDS Lift
KI6FGI 146.520
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 81 bronco 300i6/4spd more bondo than metal. 82 bronco 351w/c6 texas truck, 78 351m t18 and 33's
or you could all move out of california and let its rot away in it own stinking pile of liberal backstabbing corrupt cesspool filth of of a governments excrement it seems hellbent on dragging it's own citizens through......... rant over that is all. they'll take the money and run cause they need it and close the parks cause they can't keep them maintained

Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."
John Jay, first chief justice of the supreme court, Oct 12, 1816. consequently appointed by Geroge Washinton himself.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa5oh View Post
or you could all move out of california and let its rot away in it own stinking pile of liberal backstabbing corrupt cesspool filth of of a governments excrement it seems hellbent on dragging it's own citizens through......... rant over that is all. they'll take the money and run cause they need it and close the parks cause they can't keep them maintained
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
gone fish'n

don't worry, looks like they will leave the OHV fees alone, but tag on another $15.00 fee on everyones registrations.

Quote:
BRC CALIFORNIA OHV FUND UPDATE:

Conference Committee keeps OHV money in OHV account, votes to increase non-OHV state park entrance fees by $15.

Dear BRC Alert Subscriber,

BRC wants to thank those folks in the OHV community who took time out of their busy schedules to send in letters to their elected state representatives regarding potential fiscal impacts to the California OHV Program.

OHV organizations and individual recreationists from throughout the state asked their legislators not to redirect the gas tax money to non-OHV state parks or other non-OHV-related programs or departments. Because of your efforts, the senate/assembly conference committee decided not to appropriate OHV trust fund money to subsidize non-OHV park costs.

According to a spokesperson for the Coalition for Public Access, the committee proposed that there be a $15 increase to the Motor Vehicle Account (MVA), which, unlike the Vehicle License fee - a personal property tax - is an actual fee.

Thanks again to all of you who decided to make a difference and be a champion for the California OHV Program. We’ll keep you updated of any potential shenanigans in Sacramento.

Don Amador
Western Representative
BlueRibbon Coalition

'01 F250, 444ci of straight piped oil burning fun. 4x4, 6 spd, GTP38R noise maker, Stage 2 injektorz. Lotsa fun!

Let's Go Fishing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 05:38 AM
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
If they can't afford to maintain them, then they can't afford to patrol them, right?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Runnin you over

Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco XLT- 4' rancho lift, Pro Comp Ext. RA's,3 inch BL, 35-13.5-15s Toyo M/Ts, 4:56s, 3G Alt.
Damn right!!

Vote for me for Feb FOTM!
If your cheeks aren't clenched, you're not really wheelin'.
Bigger, stronger, faster... Built to hurt.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
gone fish'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
If they can't afford to maintain them, then they can't afford to patrol them, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JuiceXLT View Post
Damn right!!
your both missing the point here. OHV has their own fees and is one of the few state units which has/had a positive cash flow, Arnie already took 90million in OHV funds.

why would they need to close something if it is user fees keep it running 100% monetarily on the positive cash flow?

Let's Go Fishing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Bronco Info: '89 351 c-6 leaf sas kp d60wzip locker 14bolt 42x15x15 rockers 5.38s
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopes View Post
your both missing the point here. OHV has their own fees and is one of the few state units which has/had a positive cash flow, Arnie already took 90million in OHV funds.

why would they need to close something if it is user fees keep it running 100% monetarily on the positive cash flow?
I get the point, and it's really messed up. All I'm saying is, just because they might shut them down, doesn't mean I will stay out.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:33 AM

Bronco Info: '89 Bronco XLT w/ I6, 5spd, 4" D44 SAS 4.09 and 10.25 4.10 ARBs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
I get the point, and it's really messed up. All I'm saying is, just because they might shut them down, doesn't mean I will stay out.
I'm sure the ticket for trespassing on a OHV park when closed is much high then normal day pass, but more power too you. I'm also sure busting down the gate to go in will tell them to reopen the park so people like you can pay again.

Lifted '89 Ford Bronco w/ 5spd & doubler - Representing Ford's I6 Stump Pullers!
UC4x4.com * http://www.supermotors.net/9090 * Follow my SAS buildup!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxviii View Post
The goal here is to fix the problem, not treat the symptoms.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 82 bronco 408w 4" lift 35's, 88 bronco 351w all stock on 31s
IF they close the parks, i know an offal lot of people who will go 4x4ing anyway. be it in the closed parks (unlikely) or on national forest land, and private property illegally (most likely)

taking away the places to do it wont stop people from doing it. it'll just stop them from doing it legally, in those places.

-Ryan

Check out my youtube page. Many bronco videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rhauf1
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1990 Eddie bauer 302. Bought dead. Runs better n better.
Garage
Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverus View Post
I moved back here from the Hell's Cyn basin in N.E. Oregon.

'90 Eddie Bauer 302 5.0 >250k, class E, Stock wheels (if it ain't broke...) rebuilt under hood (oem). HD rotors. R-134A conversion. Flowmaster and 3" single chamber. Custom fishing pole rack. 145k '96 e4oD upgrade. 33" BFG A/T. Modern Am/FM/Bt/CD/USB. 1500w amp/ sub combo. Custom Roof rack. Check out my build thread...http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=281530

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > LandUse and Trails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode