TELLICO Update!!!!! - Ford Bronco Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Sway Is My Fan Club.

Bronco Info: '78 Ranger XLT - 429/C6, 4"s/35s. '88 XLT - 351/C6, 6"s/35s
TELLICO Update!!!!!

Found this information on another 4x4 forum...

Quote:
A hearing date certain has been set for SFWDA vs. FS on the Tellico OHV area.

A hearing will be held at 2 PM in Courtroom 50 Main Street, Bryson City, NC 28713 before Judge Martin Reidinger. You can view the calendar here NCWD Court Calendar. This is your money at work (your tax dollars supporting the FS and your after tax goodwill contributions to SFWDA, BRC, UFWDA). It is a public process. You are welcome to attend and encouraged to attend. It is fine to wear identifying attire that you are a supporter of off road driving (i.e club logos). Remember, you must be respectful of the Court and the process. You will not be allowed to speak during the proceedings. Just your presence in the court room will be enough. It will give you an opportunity to see our system at work. It is very important that we do not do anything that will reflect badly on our sport. I think it will be a testament to our resolve and perseverance to have as many of us as can participate to be there in person.

It appears the Judge has set aside the entire afternoon for the case. This means he may allow each side an hour to present. The FS and intervenors most likely will share the time allocated. SFWDA will present first, the FS and intervenors will present second, then most likely SFWDA will have a few minutes for rebuttal. Remember only the respective lawyers will present.

Please be reminded that it is very unlikely that a decision will be rendered on August 23rd. You will most likely be disappointed if you attend expecting to hear a decision. The decision will usually take 30 to 90 days. It may be in our best interest that the Judge take his time to consider everything in the case. Also, remember that any decision can be appealed by the opposing side.

Please re-post this information on other 4x4 boards and forums to help spread the word.

I look forward to seeing you on the 23rd in Bryson City, NC.

Thank you for your support.

'66 F100 -- Little Black
'78 Bronco -- Brutus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Retired

Bronco Info: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Some assembly required!

Bronco Info: 90 EB, 351W, E40D, D60 SAS, 10.25 rear, ARB's front & back, indellible Cheerwine stain in carpet
Wow...I've got to say, my heart has been pretty raw over how that whole Tellico thing went down. I really have to guard against being too overly optimistic about this, but damn it would be nice to have this situation fixed. **Fingers Crossed**

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Would love to get another ride there. Sad I only made it down once.

That place is what made me decide to go EXO though.
Before Tellico body looked mostly like this..........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_D...greendone2.jpg

and after

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/TELLICO/CARNAGE/

79 XLT, 400/C6/mog 404's/42 IROKS, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351 E4OD 2" leveling kit 33x12.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post

That place is what made me decide to go EXO though.
Before Tellico body looked mostly like this..........

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_D...greendone2.jpg

and after

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/TELLICO/CARNAGE/
Holy crap!! I've never been there but it looks like you wheeled the hell out of your rig or it rolled several times. Please explain some of the destruction
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
OX1
Fullsize Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg94 View Post
Holy crap!! I've never been there but it looks like you wheeled the hell out of your rig or it rolled several times. Please explain some of the destruction
Only place I've ever been to you had to be concerned about tree roots trashing your roof. That's actually what smashed my topper window.

On many trails, you had to not only worry about the rocks, but the dirt walls and trees on either side as tall as your rig.

That and I'm not a very careful driver.............

79 XLT, 400/C6/mog 404's/42 IROKS, 8.5" lift.
79 XLT, 400/C6/D60-D44 8 lug, 2" lift, 35 BFG AT
74 Bronc build, 408/C6/Black Box/205/406 mogs/43 SX stickies

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Retired

I hate it closed to OX I always felt like I had unfinished business there myself.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 09:07 AM

Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351 E4OD 2" leveling kit 33x12.50
I think I've heard of people camping in tellico but not wheeling that's on the TN N.C. border right
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Bronco Info: '94 XLT stock 5 speed manual t-case (my 3rd bronco)
yeah, that's where it is. I live very close to tellico and the 'main' road is actually a residential road with a few small subdivisions on it, so the main road is still open, and the tellico area is open for foot traffic still, possbily mountain biking as well.

It's a real drag they closed it down, our area really really needs the tourist money from this, since our construction industry closed down we have almost NO jobs. I got stuck a while back and was trying to call a 4x4 tow truck to come get me out, all the guys who had offroad tow trucks have now either sold them or taken the tags and insurance off of them since the tellico thing went down...

I've been bashed before for stating this, but I'll say it again because it's the truth... as long as the offroad people keep with the argument that there is no sediment in the streams, the case is doomed... I went up there when they closed it and the streams were absolutely full of mud (sediment) (mountain streams are supposed to be sand and rock bottoms, not mud). However it was pretty clear that the HUGE clearcutting operations were the most responsible as you could see giant mud flows coming down the clear cuts and going straight into the creek. The other things to consider are farming, and residential construction adding to it. The trout stream behind my house now has a mud bottom in it as well from all the irresponsible farming going on up the valley. Maybe some folks should go up (wish I had the time) and walk the creeks with cameras taking pictures of where mud is coming into the creeks from, that would be a huge help to the case as if it could be proven that the majority sources of mud are from other activities then we may have a chance. It is laughable (if it weren't so sad) that they are convinced that 4x4 traffic has caused all of this. Possibly the building of silt ponds, silt fencing, and intelligent ditches could get rid of the bulk of any 4x4 generated runoff. I haven't been up there in almost a year, but will be going camping near there in a week so I'll try to remember to bring my camera this time and see if it's still like this... I really hope they can get the area re-opened again, the jeep jamboree, hummer meets, and other 4x4 travelers were a great boost to the local economy, not to mention I really enjoyed going up there and playing on the lesser trails. I never had a vehicle worthy of the bad ones.

Good luck to these folks involved in the suit! I really miss the tellico area being open!

"when man behaves like a beast he loses the pain of being man" by someone somewhere sometime...

'94 XLT stock 5 speed 302
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Some assembly required!

Bronco Info: 90 EB, 351W, E40D, D60 SAS, 10.25 rear, ARB's front & back, indellible Cheerwine stain in carpet
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79F150 View Post
I hate it closed to OX I always felt like I had unfinished business there myself.
Very well put, I kind of feel the same way.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Retired

I hope the lawyers have a great day in court on the Thursday!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Retired

Today is the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Retired

Not hearing anything real good yet but no ruling has been given yet either..
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1988 BRONCO 5.0/AOD axle code H5
not sounding like it went so good according to pirate
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...php?p=14682124

88 Bronco(sold)
new trail rig
2000 ranger
4.0/5r55e/bw 4.10 gears 35 mt/rs
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Retired

Yeah I was reading that to but there is no ruling yet. Lets hope the judge wants the extra income for the community and see where the root problem really is.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '66-'78 bunch o' Broncos...and one Filly
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post

]
I was there many times..and yet I still had some sections I had not checked off the list. Some great times and great adventures.

But the trails were so badly worn out..it was painfull to watch the change over the years as what were once trails became canyons and almost tunnels.

Another chance at it would have hopefully resulted in a different approach to trail management.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 PM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddie Bauer fullsize (sold)
I've had......

I've had the opportunity to wheel there several times with my Samurai's and once with my old 89 Eddie Bauer bronco. It was a GREAT place and the trails went on for days. Some of them were amazing and really challenging. Places like Helicopter pad, guardrail hill, lower2, etc... Lots of fun. I sure hope they can figure out a way to make it accessible again as it was a real cool place to be able to wheel and the fact that it is less than an hour from me is also pretty nice. We still have Royal blue and Oak ridge and while I have never been there you can head down around chattanooga and there are some parks there. I was kinda shocked when they closed it down but I too can understand the issues. Surely there is a way that everyone can enjoy it and maybe there needs to be more stringent rules as to where you can go with what kinda vehicle and what you can do. I know that even when I wheeled there most folks were very careful and honest about NOT venturing off the marked trails. I used to love watching folks attempt that water crossing too but when I was there last time it was shut down too... Sucks but I will be crossing my fingers on this one. Peace

Pete
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetefromTn View Post
I have never been there you can head down around chattanooga and there are some parks there.

Do you have name of the parks?? I am not "that" far..
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM

Bronco Info: 1989 Eddie Bauer fullsize (sold)
Well....

There are two or three that I know of. There is one in lewisburg called willy's offroad or something like that and there is one in summertown called wheeling in the country I think. There is also one called Monteagle something or other... Again never been to any of those. Tellico is the farthest south I have wheeled in Tennessee. There is also cumberland Gap area north of us here. Lots of decent places to wheel in East tennessee. Coal Creek/winrock and Royal Blue.... etc... Peace

Pete
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM

Bronco Info: 1995 351w,6in rough country lift,35s pro comps
Did tellico open again or not

95 XLT Daily Driver/ weekend rig / camper

Ford Bronco Forum > Wheeling > LandUse and Trails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode