My 94 Bronco Endless Restoration and build - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
Thanks everyone!

Today I am going to take the door panels off and see what all is missing in there. THey are just hanging on with 1 or 2 screws. Since the cowl popped off on its own yesterday, I will go ahead and take it all the way off and inspect the drain tubes and look for any rusted out spots. Will also do a water leak test with the hose. Then After I get the Cowl back on I will put the interior back in.

One thing that Irks me is, theres nothing lined up right in the front end. THe doors are crooked, the fenders are crooked, the tailgate is crooked, the hood is crooked. I have never tried to adjust those, but im willing to give anything a try. So once I get all these mechanical things taken care of I will move on to getting all the body parts lined up. Oh and the doors do not say open. Seems like theres something missing. Looking at the door hinges, theres nothing for the roller to engage. I think theres something missing there. will have to check my diagrams. While I have the door panels off im gonna see if i can clean them up a bit more and get some of that PO Funk off of them. I hate Funk!

Also today I am going to take off the crappy bent up nerf bars. Anyone need a set? Drivers side is bent, but you can straighten them out with a jack after thier mounted, or I might do it before I take them off. Hate to see those just go in the trash, I know someone would like to have them. Im saving up for some of Hefty's Rock Sliders.

While im under there today, I will see if I can get the skid plate off and clean up the tranny flid enough to spot where the leak is. Then see if theres any loose bolts anywhere. Might be able to fix it like BroncoJohn says above. I am not afraid to try too much on this thing. Ive never taken apart anything on the drive train before, but hey theres a first time for everything. Ususally all i do is pick up the driiveshaft out of the street and all the parts that scattered everywhere and throw them in the back and drive home in 4 wheel drive, lol.

So If it looks like the transfer case connection is leaking I will have to go buy a jack, which I need anyway, just broke till friday.
Id much rather spend the money on things I need than give it to the tranny shop. But we will see.

Also, I need to replace the heater core. Doesnt look too bad but I have a question. Where the tubes go thru the cab to under the hood theres a rubber grommet. Can you get a new one of those? Is there some technique to getting the core out without messing that up? I suppose I could seal it back up with RTV if i tear it a little. Or I could cut the ends of the tubes off so the nipple doesnt have to be pulled back thru. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.0 manual trans Bronco wants a Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadawgz71 View Post
Jowens1126, your 302 is factory MAF. All 5.0's from 94-96 are MAF.
I have a 95 with 302 and manual trans and it is Speed density.

Nice score with no rust!
post #43 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Ok so today I got some Mercon and put some in then got under it and tried to find where its leaking. I cant really tell but it comes out right when you start putting it in. so Could be Dipstick O-ring, or shift lever. Its all in the front and goes on the pan and drips from the back and really all over the place. So I finally found a good transmission shop here in town with lots and lots of good reviews. Gave them a call and they said might be the dipstick o-ring or where the shift lever goes in or the pan gasket. So I made an appointment for Friday. He said to fix the leak and put in a new filter and pan gasket and do a fluid change would be 100 to 150 bucks. So Im very happy with that. Im gonna watch what they do so If it happens again I will be able to fix it myself.

Pulled the door panel off the drivers side, and its about like what I thought it would be. Carnage of age. Plastic is broken here and there. The place where the clip goes for the control buttons is gone, dunno if anyone has any ideas on how to rebuild that. Carbon Fiber and plywood? Also the place where the inside window stripping goes is all cracked. Gotta think of some way to fix that. Might be a better option to go junkyard surfing, but somehow im sure those inside door panels are not easy to find, especially the same color I have. Theres also a connector in there thats not connected to anything. Its a 2 wire connecter, one wire is black/blue the other is black. Dont know what it goes to. Here are some pictures to show you what i found.

Door is pretty dirty in there gonna have to clean it up and replace all the door clips, there all toast.

Here you can see the mystery wire.

You can see the window molding retainers are cracked.

Closeup of broken molding retainer.

post #44 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Black/Tan: 5.8, E4OD, 32x11.50, 40/20/40 split bench front seat,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
Theres also a connector in there thats not connected to anything. Its a 2 wire connecter, one wire is black/blue the other is black. Dont know what it goes to. Here are some pictures to show you what i found.

Here you can see the mystery wire.
Think that is for the light in the door panel...lights up when the door is open...goes in the panel near doors edge about 2/3rd's the way down...
post #45 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

hmmm didnt know it had a light.
post #46 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 PM

Bronco Info: 81 full size bronco
nice rig !!
post #47 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:18 PM

sweet

82 Bronco 4x4 bone stock
post #48 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

This is the first time ive had the door panels off a bronco. I can see now why the door handle always feels cheesy. One friggin bolt and the other end is held in with a tab. No wonder it feels like its gonna break every time you open the door.
post #49 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
This truck I picked up only has 38K miles on it. One of the things I liked the best was no leaks. Drove it around most of Sat and then took it for an emissions test. While on the emissions dyno, it appears that the torque converter seal let go. Tranny fluid leaking from that area. I hope you have better results. Good luck!!!
richo sound like they could of overheated tranny. on dyno,the breather on these trans. are in that area,when they overheat it will puke from the breather.i would clean,add fluid ,and drive.
post #50 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Does anyone know if the cheap JBG rear window Regulator is as good as the more expensive one?
post #51 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Damn I didnt do squat today, im gonna have to make up for it tommorow.
post #52 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 EB Black/Tan: 5.8, E4OD, 32x11.50, 40/20/40 split bench front seat,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post
hmmm didnt know it had a light.
learn something new everyday...LOL
knew about them when my pass side worked, but drivers didn't...pulled the panel to find a burnt bulb...easy fix!
post #53 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
how hard was it to pull out that door panel? i pulled all the screws out of mine and the left side (the part farthest to the back of the truck) is still hung on there pretty good. im guessing some kind of clip? i dont want to destroy any tabs that i dont need to.

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
post #54 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Well I ordered CLips for the tailgate, trim, and doors today along with some rod retainers for the tailgate.
Tommorow I will order a new tailgate latch, heater core, and get the transmission fixed. Sure will be nice to be able to drive this thing.

I was reading thru the Heater Core Tech write up and then looked at mine.

Does anyone know what this box is?
[IMG][/IMG]

This box is pictured in the write up. I dont have one. There is a Plug there Labeled PSOM. I assume that goes to whatever is supposed to be there.
Does anyone know what that box does?
This is what Mine looks like..............

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the connector

[IMG][/IMG]

Im Also having trouble figuring out how to De-Pin this connector for the rear window defroster. Does it just Pull out? I dont wanna break it. DO you have to depress a pin in there somewhere? Here are some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #55 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92BroncoXLT View Post
how hard was it to pull out that door panel? i pulled all the screws out of mine and the left side (the part farthest to the back of the truck) is still hung on there pretty good. im guessing some kind of clip? i dont want to destroy any tabs that i dont need to.
There are 3 clips down the left side of the door panel and 2 clips on the right side. Go to autozone and get a door clip removal tool so you don't tear up the door panel pulling on it. These panels are getting brittle after 20 odd years of service.

There are three on the left and three on the right, take your time, use the right tool, most likely they are all stripped out like mine were and it will just fall off when you take the screws out. Here are a couple of pictures showing where the door clips are.......[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #56 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Wow! 869 views! Thanks for checking out my progress! Still looking for some help though, anyone?
post #57 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Bump!
post #58 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Foolsize Member

Bronco Info: They multiply when I'm not looking.
Thank you man, nice build too

Dylan

1992 XLT 300/M5OD
1978 Custom 351M/C6
1991 XLT 351W/Blown Up E4OD
post #59 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Just got back from the Transmission shop. Thankfully it was just the pan gasket. You should have seen it though. SOme yahoo stripped out 2 of the pan bolts and reamed them out and re-threaded them larger, then stripped them on the way back in. THey tried to stop the leak with some silicone crap put on the outside of the pan. Needless to say that was a useless attempt. So im glad I took it in to them. If your in Orlando and need a good tranny shop give R&D transmission a try. Its a 2 man shop and boyh guys worked at Ford for 20 years. Very reasonably priced and very friendly and knowledgable.
He did say there was a small leak in the torque converter and that needs to be addressed, but im not going to mess with that now as im going to replace the whole tranny in a few months anyway. It sure is nice not to have a quart leak out of it every time I stop somewhere now. Drive a hell of a lot better too. Oh and it was almost 2 gallons low. Amazing it worked at all. IM jsut glad I didnt tear it up with the little bit of driving i did with it like that.

So now thats out of the way, I can turn to getting all the interior back in. GUess thats what I am gonna be workin on the rest of the day. WIll post some pictures tonight after its all done and back to normal.
post #60 of 1466 (permalink) Old 03-18-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Wow sure does drive better now, no humps, bumps and slips. very nice.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode