My 94 Bronco Endless Restoration and build - Page 68 - Ford Bronco Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1341 of 1398 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer edition, 302 MAF, E4OD
And I did finally get a chance to install the new Brake Light Switch. Damn getting that retainer spring on there was tricky. Seems like the brake switch was causing a few problems for me that didnt exactly click in my head. Sometimes when I slowed down it would buck a little bit. I suppose since the brake light switch wasnt making contact it didnt get a chance to disengage the Torque Converter fast enough. Also, I have been having for years an issue with the cruise control not turning off when I slow down. Now after swapping the switch it drops right out of cruise, and no more bucking bronco. I replaced it with the one with the lighter weight spring for the F350. It now triggers the brake lights the instant you step on the pedal. It was down right difficult to get under there and work on that with my bad back and all. Most of it I did by feel as I could not find a position I could get in to actually see what I was doing. I even removed the drivers seat to try and lay on the floor and work on my back, but that hurt too much. I got it though. Its damn near impossible to get that retainer spring on by feel. Somehow I got it on though.

Next week sometime, Im going to hit the junk yard and try to locate an RKE Box that isnt burned up. And maybe another spare airbag module.

1994 EB Bronco, 302 MAF, E4OD, BW1356, Slightly Customized Interior
"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

My Build Thread - http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=191067
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1342 of 1398 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

My Colorbond Interior paint came in this week. So I took out a small piece from the new dash I got and cleaned it up with the Colorbond Cleaner and gave it a few light coats of the Colorbond paint. Wow it really looks great. Its not exactly the same color, but I am going to do the entire interior with it so it doesnt matter. It is a couple of shades lighter TAN. The Color is#37-8381 Saddle. I really like it because its a much closer match to the Medium Parchment Seat Covers for my 2004 Super Duty Seats.

I really like this product. I first took the part and cleaned it with windex last weekend. Then After several days of sitting, I cleaned it with the Colorbond Cleaner. The Dash is made of ABS Plastic so it does not require the adhesion promoter. It only requires a good cleaning and then a pre-paint clean with the Colorbond Cleaner.

I then Misted on 3 or 4 coats letting them dry for 5-10 mins between coats. Each coat went on VERY thin and left all of the surface detail in tact. When all the coats were complete I let it sit and dry for 3 hours. Then I took this Picture comparing it to the stock color of the dash. As you can see it is quite a bit lighter than the original color, so it will not work for touching up the original tan. But for my needs it is perfect.

Then I gave it 3 misted coats of the UV Protectant Satin Clear. I think it came out really nice. I hope the shinyness fades a bit more after it completely cures but overall I really think its going to look great.

This is the color I used, all of these came from LMC Truck.

This is the Cleaner Surface Prep

And this is the Satin Clear.

I have alot of dash repair to do before I can paint it. I will have to wait till next weekend to order the stuff I need to repair the dash. So In 2 weeks I should have that all repaired and ready for paint. I think its going to look pretty awesome when its done. The finish is really good! I am impressed. I didnt think it would look that good but it does.
96bronco, Quader1 and CDA 455 like this.

"Demanding something free on top of a discount is just being a Democrat. - Steve83"

post #1343 of 1398 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Ready 4 a Mid-Life Crisis

Bronco Info: '94 Bronco, rebuilt E4OD (To PS specs), 33" BFGs.
Pimp-daddy; looking good !

μολὼν λαβέ

post #1344 of 1398 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

I have seen this product in the LMC Catalog for years and have been wanting to try it. I think it will work great from what I can tell so far. Hopefully it will hold up to some scuffing and wear and tear. Only time will tell.

post #1345 of 1398 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

I did some more work on the dash today. I got in my ABS Plastic Cement.

and the applicator

I laid out my dash on my work table and supported the end closest to the crack so it applied enough pressure on the crack to close it. Then using the syringe applicator I applied a very small amount of cement into the crack. The cement is like water thin so it absorbs into the crack by capillary action. I let that dry for about 5 minutes then made another small application. I repeated this about 4 or 5 times till the crack was completely filled. Then I let it sit for an hour to cure.

Crack

It worked fantastic.

I filled a total of 3 cracks with this stuff and they all are now repaired. After a week they will be as strong as if it was just molded.

So after an hour it was cured enough to go ahead and clean the rest of the dash up with the cleaner spray. Then I painted the entire dash. It came out really nice. You can hardly even tell I painted it except it now looks clean and one color as opposed to splotchy black here and there all over. I really like this stuff. It goes on fantastic and comes out beautiful.

I also did the Dash Pad.

The glove box door and the fuse cover.

Overall I am really pleased with how this came out. I cant wait for pay day so I can get 2 more cans so I can do the rest of the interior pieces.

post #1346 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

more paint came in this week. So I put on a second coat on the dash, and then got the final clear coat on it. It looks really great. Pictures still look the same as it does above, but it looks great in person. I also got a few pieces of the interior done, till I ran out of paint again. So I need to order more paint. Maybe this time I will get enough to finish the job.

Also my Carbon Fiber cloth came in. I forgot to order epoxy though, so I ordered that today as well. So next weekend, I will be able to lay up the carbon fiber on the inside of the dash structure and give that a good heavy coat of epoxy. That should really provide some much needed structural integrity to the dash shell. Hopefully this will keep it from cracking and breaking in the foreseeable future.

I will post up some pictures next weekend when I start on that job. Then the following weekend I will start ripping the dash out and start chasing down my wiring issues and see if I can get those corrected, then install my new door harness and install the newly painted dash.

post #1347 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 09:57 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Boy, that crack repair is really impressive! The paint looks great also.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #1348 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Its coming along, its just a very slow process. I can only do so much at a time, then I have to let the stuff cure. The weather has to be right, thats been an issue lately too. Its supposed to turn cold again this week, hopefully for the last time. I am hoping it warms up enough this coming weekend to do the carbon fiber. It has to be over 80 for it to cure properly, so that may be a longshot.

post #1349 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

What I plan to do with the Carbon Fiber is, re-enforce the upper and lower edge of the dash. The areas where the dash attach to the body are prone to cracking due to age and stress and carrying the weight of the dash. So since I finally got a dash skin that is not cracked, I am going to try and add some carbon fiber cloth to the inside to strengthen the structure. It should do the job extremely well. I have used this stuff in the past on other projects and the rigidity this stuff adds is amazing.

So I am going to cut out pieces to fit the entire top side and the lower edge where its thin and weak and very flexy. This should remove alot of that. Where the dash attaches to the body will get 2 layers of cloth. I am using some fairly heavy cloth but when its all done it will be very thin and should not interfere with anything that attaches to it.

I put a box around the general area that I will apply it on the inside to give you an idea where I am going with this.

What you do is, sand the inside of the dash skin with some 80 grit to roughen up the surface so the epoxy has something to grab on to. I want some fairly deep scratches so it will key well into the material. Then I will knock the surface down a bit with some 120 just so its a bit smoother. Then I will spray on some 3M Model 77 spray adhesive in a light mist and let that set up a min. Then I will take the pre-trimmed and fitted pieces of Carbon Fiber cloth and stick them in place. The 77 spray will hold them firmly in place while the epoxy cures over the next day or so. Then I will mix up the epoxy by weight and spread it on with a brush, making sure it soaks into the cloth thoroughly. The epoxy I am using is fairly thin and is made specifically for this application. It has a fairly long working time of 100 minutes so it can soak deep into the fibers and onto the substrate. Then it has to cure for 6 hours above 75°F, then they suggest an addition 6 hour cure of 110° but it is not required. I may go see if I can rig up a heat lamp so I can at least get the temperature elevated some. Once this stuff cures completely after 72 hours it is hard as nails.

post #1350 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:33 PM

Looking forward to see how the carbon fiber turns out.

1990 Eddie Bauer Bronco
2004 Harley F250 with some odds and ends
post #1351 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Well another pay day down, I finally ordered the seat cover for the base of the drivers seat. Maybe next month I will be able to order the seat back. I cant wait to get it. Ive been wanting this damn thing for years. lol its about time I got around to doing this.

Cant wait to get it in, hopefully it will be here by next friday.

post #1352 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

My epoxy came in today for the carbon Fiber. I need to go to Lowes and get some cheap heat lamps. that way I can rig up the heat lamps to do the 2nd stage high temp cure.

Its not alot of epoxy, but it should be plenty for the area I am doing. Its very thin about 20% thicker than water so it should go pretty far. Im going to start cutting out the cloth and fitting it to the dash this afternoon or in the morning.

post #1353 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

I got my heat lamps ready. Picked up 2 from lowes. Now all I need is some higher temps outside.

post #1354 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

I got my new seat base cover in today. It look awesome as always. Richmond Auto Upholstery does an amazing job on their seat covers. Its really top quality stuff. If you need a set, I highly recommend them.

I also got in the rear brakes for the Durango today. So That will be the first project. My wife made a deal with me, since I am doing the brakes on the durango, and doing a tuneup on it, She will buy me the upper seat cover and the armrest for the bronco. So I am excited about that.

I also got in some more interior paint, so I can do more of that as well. So many projects, so little time.

It also looks like it will be warm enough to layout the carbon fiber on the dash as well. So this looks to be an eventfull weekend full of auto repair.

post #1355 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Well one thing is for sure. Its 10x easier to do the brakes on the durango than it is on the Bronco. I even got my son out there helping me. Makes it so much easier when I can just sit there and tell him what to take off, then I can work on it on the table and give it to him to put back together.

The durango has a 2 piece caliper system. The caliper bolts to a pad holder, pad holder bolts to the backing plate. once those are off, the rotor just pulls off like a drum rotor. no problem at all.

post #1356 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

As usual, the first side took forever. That learning curve kills me on time. Did the other side in 20 minutes though. Next time will go much faster.

post #1357 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

I got all the carbon fiber cut out ready to install on the dash. If you have never worked with this stuff before, you have to tape the entire length where you are going to cut it or it will just fall apart instantly. You also need really sharp scissors to keep it from edge fraying.

So the next step is to use some spray adhesive on the inside of the dash and position the layers of cloth in place. Once thats all done, then I can soak in the epoxy. Im kind of concerned that I didnt get near enough epoxy. But We shall see. I will cover what it will cover and go from there.

I also ordered up the rest of my drivers seat cover. Thanks to doing some work on my wifes car, I saved her enough money to let her buy me the seat covers. So those will be here at the end of the week, hopefully, just in time to install next weekend.

I also finally got around to ordering the Recall Cruise control Brake switch and pigtail. I figured I might as well get that out of the way before my truck burns to the ground in the middle of the night.

Things are really starting to come together to a point where I will have to completely remove the interior again. So I will start on that this week taking the whole interior out so hopefully I will have all that ready for next weekend.

post #1358 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Thread Killa

Its really difficult to beat Amazons shipping. I ordered this cruise control recall harness and switch last night. It was here when I got home from work today! Thats awesome!

Now I just need to put it in.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

post #1359 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Yeah I ordered parts from Amazon last Friday. One came Saturday and the other came Sunday morning. That's hard to beat!
post #1360 of 1398 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Tjackson View Post
bump
What's the bump for on someone else's build thread? If you're just padding your post count, i should warn you that it's super frowned upon in these parts.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode