79 Bronco Katy Texas Build - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 258Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM

Bronco Info: 1983 FSB, 351W, Carbed, Auto 4wd, Old Man Tan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Ok I think at this point I'm looking at a carb rebuild. Gonna go with electric choke. I have a friend who says his buddy rebuilds carbs. So that's where we stand. Can't let a case of beer go to watse.
As has already been stated, don't let others scare you into thinking that you can't rebuild a part of your truck. Back when I was in college my girlfriend was driving an '81 Mercury Grand Marquis she bought from her grandparents and it needed a carb rebuild...BAD. It had the variable venturi carb and everyone told me I would never get it right, I wouldn't even be able to put it back together, etc. I went to the parts house, bought a rebuild kit, and rebuilt it in my apartment at the dinner table. The car never ran better. Long story short I wouldn't just tear into everything and anything just because, but if you have the want to and are informed about what you are doing you can rebuild your bronco mostly yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Sounds good to me guys. Let me track down a rebuild kit. Can anyone recommend a good supplier for that? And I'll purchase the electric choke conversion kit.
post #23 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Bronco Info: 99 jeep cherokee body/ 400m/c6/205, 15" lift, 11.2x24 r-1 interco farm cheifs ,dana 60 rear,44 front
Quote:
Sounds good to me guys. Let me track down a rebuild kit. Can anyone recommend a good supplier for that? And I'll purchase the electric choke conversion kit.
either autozone or oriely's will have i would go with oriely's tho or im sure holley has a website and you could order it direct

Hee Hee!!! I have a torch, and a welder and way too much time on my hands

Be carefull while hugging the trees...They leave dents on your truck...

post #24 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM

Bronco Info: 79 Ranger XLT-460,NP435,NP205,stock axles/3.50's,2.5"RC lift,33"trxxs mt's,72 impala horn(best mod)
lookin' good, lookin good.
post #25 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
either autozone or oriely's will have i would go with oriely's tho or im sure holley has a website and you could order it direct
Yeah I was in O'Reilly's the other day asking about carb parts and such. I wasn't real impreseed. The gal helping me yelled to some other guys. Hey do we have a Holley parts book someplace?

I have a concern that a rebuild kit won't be enough. I think I may be missing some parts. I'm still researching it. We're back to triple digit heat so it may be a few days before I get back on this.
post #26 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Bronco Info: 99 jeep cherokee body/ 400m/c6/205, 15" lift, 11.2x24 r-1 interco farm cheifs ,dana 60 rear,44 front
Quote:
Yeah I was in O'Reilly's the other day asking about carb parts and such. I wasn't real impreseed. The gal helping me yelled to some other guys. Hey do we have a Holley parts book someplace?

I have a concern that a rebuild kit won't be enough. I think I may be missing some parts. I'm still researching it. We're back to triple digit heat so it may be a few days before I get back on this.
i feel you on that one...i usually have to basicly walk the folks at autozones where i live thru their own O/S just to get the parts i need...luckily there is this one fella whos pretty good...

post #27 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-15-2011, 03:17 PM

heres some helpfull info i think.....from. www.holley.com

carb kit info
part#: 3-795
Carburetor Rebuild Kit
Carburetor Rebuild Kit For PN[64Ė5028/64Ė5029/64Ė5030/64Ė5032/64Ė5033/64Ė5034/64Ė5036/64Ė5037/64Ė5038/64Ė5039/64Ė5040/64Ė5041/64Ė5042]
and they have the (complete) electrick choke kit for about 56$
part#: 45-223S

regardless of if you do it your self you will need theses parts and the exploded diagram that comes with the kit should show you if you have parts missing

post #28 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok I decided to just get a new carb. My existing carb was missing parts. From what I could tell any rebuild kits were not going to have some of the missing parts. And I didnít want to spend a bunch of time tracking down parts. So I went out this morning and got an Edelbrock 1406. I picked up a Throttle Lever kit for a Ford. Also got a new fuel filter kit. So I proceeded to remove the old carb.

Here's the old carb.

I think it's seen better days.

Got the old carb off and found this. After some Googling I figured out that this is an EGR Spacer.

So I figured out I need to get a new Adapter Plate kit. Plus I want to go ahead and get new throttle studs. So here we are waiting on more parts.

I went ahead and replaced my battery terminals.

Here's a shot of the old battery terminals.

I must say I haven't worked on a vehicle in a long time. It was fun doing this stuff. I look forward to doing as much as I can on this project. I hope to have the rest of my carb parts by Tuesday.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #29 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:39 PM

nice new carb dude.....i got one of those on my chevy not sure whether i like it or not...could just be that its a chevy....j/k there is something wrong with either the carb or the timing chain...but in all reality ive just never been a fan of eldebrock carbs..nor holleys either and thats what i got on my bronco the classic holley 750 ...lol only cool thing about the holley in my opinion is i can clean the ethanol crap out of the metering block easy...

post #30 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 AM

Bronco Info: 1983 FSB, 351W, Carbed, Auto 4wd, Old Man Tan
Nice carb. I had one of those on my 68 Cougar and loved it. They are low maintenance and easy to tune. Good idea to go ahead and replace the carb studs and those nasty battery terminals. Nice work so far, keep it up.
post #31 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Bronco
Trucks looking good man, keep it up.

'79 XLT 351M w/ some mods
post #32 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Thanks guys. I have a lot to do! I will say it's good therapy. Thanks for reading the thread.
post #33 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
My edlebrock carbed Bronco runs awesome. My Holley is getting there.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #34 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok time for an update. I went into the local county tax office the other day to transfer the title. Well the guy I bought it from had never put the title in his name. So the fun began. They directed me down to the local DMV. I had to get paperwork from them. Once I had that it was off to get a Surety Bond. So I found an insurance company that did them and more paperwork. Oh and while at the DMV there was a typo in my address on the paperwork. So it was back to the DMV. Take a number and wait to be called. Got the address corrected yesterday. I went to my local tax office this morning and finalized the transfer of title. So I should have that in 2 to 4 weeks. Now that thatís taken care of its back to the fun stuff.

Iíve been going by the local speed shop and getting some parts this week. I also made a couple of stops at the local auto parts. I took today off today to try and get some work done. Iíll be tied up all this weekend on something else and wonít be able to work on it. So after the tax office I headed up to the storage unit to get started.

Hereís my workbench.

And hereís where we left off last time. The old EGR adapter plate.

And the old gasket.

Well I had picked up an Edelbrock adapter plate that I thought would work. Itís on the left. But the holes would not work on the intake manifold. So I ran down to the local auto parts and picked up the adapter on the right. Iím still not 100% sure having the open plenum adapter is fine. So this may be a temporary setup.

So anyway here Iím proceeding with the install.

Got the studs installed and tightened down.

Installed the spacer.

Now I need to install the fitting for the vacuum for the brake booster hose.

Ok looks like weíre ready to install the carb.

Hooking up hoses and throttle linkage.

Itís time to connect the new fuel filter.

The next item was the electric choke. The ground wire goes to the choke casing and the hot wire goes to switched 12v. Had to reconnect the battery to find my switched 12v.

My tailgate makes a great workbench.

While reconnecting the new battery terminal I picked up the other day the bolt stripped out the inside. So it will not tighten up. So I installed one of the old ones back on for now.

I ran a temporary wire through the firewall for my switched 12v. Yeah I have excess wire at the moment but Iím going for results at the moment. I want to hear this baby run again.

And now for the moment of truth. Got in turned the key. My new battery I bought a couple of weeks ago didnít have enough juice to start. It would turn just a tad and that was it. So I pulled the battery and itís at the house charging as we speak. Iíve got a quick charge on it so I hope to try again this afternoon.

Thanks for following along!

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #35 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
You'll be just fine with that adapter, I had one on mine before I got EFI and it worked great.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #36 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh View Post
You'll be just fine with that adapter, I had one on mine before I got EFI and it worked great.
Thanks man. That makes me feel better. I worked on cars in the 70's. The usual water pump and brake jobs. This is a whole new venture for me.

So it may be a little trial and error. Hopefully less error.
post #37 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
So once that mother fires up are going to clean that bay a little bit so the new carb don't feel so lonely?

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #38 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
So once that mother fires up are going to clean that bay a little bit so the new carb don't feel so lonely?
Yeah really! It needs a bath. It's filthy. My main goal is to get it running with new tires and bring it home. Then I can start working on it daily. It needs lots of TLC.
post #39 of 999 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Well I got the battery charged. I had a thought today about when I pulled the old fuel filter off. It was a clear see through filter. The fuel looked a little dirty. So I thought it might be a good idea to see how the fuel looked coming from the tank. So I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and turned the engine over to see what came out. After several cranks nothing came out. I was running out of daylight. I removed the line coming off the fuel pump. The line has a slight kink in it.

Itís not blocked because I was able to blow air through it. So I ran by the auto parts. I picked up a new section of line. I also picked up a tubing cutter and bender. And some more rubber fuel line.

I think Iíll add some gas to the tank. Fuel gauge doesnít currently work. So I donít know how much gas is in the tank.
Well it will be Monday or Tuesday before I can get back on this. Canít wait to see if sheíll fire up.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #40 of 999 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok Saturday is here and time to get back on the project. We had a cool front come through yesterday so the heat is not as bad. It was in the high 50ís this morning. Well the wife gave me the green flag for new tires. I still have the fuel issue to work on and get her cranked again. But when the wife says you can have new tires you donít wait. It was currently sitting with 3 flat tires. They were pretty much dry rotted. So I jacked it up with jack stands this morning.

I was worried about needing a breaker bar to help get the lug nuts off. I ended up using the handle from the floor jack. It worked perfectly.

The back passenger side had a large puddle underneath it.

Needless to say I needed new tires.

So I loaded them up and headed off to Discount Tire. I had called them yesterday to see if they had them in stock. The rep said no but he could have them the same day. So they ordered them in and I went to get them installed this morning.

A couple of hours later they called and said they were ready. They look much nicer. The wife called me before I even left the parking lot of Discount Tire. Seems whenever we do a banking transaction she gets a text message. And it shows the amount. She called to jokingly give me a hard time about how much money I just spent.

I brought them to the house so I can SOS the chrome and knock off the surface rust.

I canít wait to get them installed back on the project. I then headed back up to the storage and proceeded to investigate the big puddle. I pulled the rear drum for inspection. It appears to be coming not from the brakes but from the rear seal?

So my immediate plans are to get this leak fixed. I will be searching the post on here for how to help. I still have to get back on the carb and get her running. The battery is fully charged. Iím thinking the gas tank may be empty. I also need to get the fuel gauge working.

My goal is to get her home by the end of this month. Then I can work on her in the driveway.

Stay tuned as I tackle the rear axle seal.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Pic Links

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode