79 Bronco Katy Texas Build - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 305Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Progress is always good. Good luck on the rear axle seal, never done one of those. Have you tried knocking on the tank to see if it has fuel in it?

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Progress is always good. Good luck on the rear axle seal, never done one of those. Have you tried knocking on the tank to see if it has fuel in it?
Yes progress is good. Yeah I've never done a rear seal. Sounds like fun. I enjoy learning new stuff. Yeah I guess I could knock on it. That or I can dump 5 gallons in it.
post #43 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, 400/c6/np205, dana 44/ 9"rear, 3.50 gears, 4" suspension lift with 35"x12.5"x15" tires
Pull the axle shaft out, take it to a garage to have them press the bearing off, replace the seal, press the bearing back on, and bolt it back in the rearend

1979 Bronco
1979 Ford F-100
1979 Camaro
2003 ranger

post #44 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, 400/c6/np205, dana 44/ 9"rear, 3.50 gears, 4" suspension lift with 35"x12.5"x15" tires
Oh and drop the fuel tank and clean it out, no sense in running bad gas and clean the fuel lines as best as you can.

I wouldn't hesitate at replacing the fuel pump while you are at it since you get a new carb, no sense in pumping trash to it.

1979 Bronco
1979 Ford F-100
1979 Camaro
2003 ranger
post #45 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok I went up yesterday to check on things. I had company in last weekend so didn't get much done. I wiped up the spill from the rear axle.

I laid some shop paper towels to see if it was still leaking. I also found the vent hose and found it was clogged with mud.

I'm wondering now if the extreme heat in this storage would have made the oil expand with the vent clogged.

Here's how it looked this evening. All clean. Not even a drop.

So for now I'm hoping it's not an issue. I know it will need R&R as some point.

While there this evening I mounted the 2 new front tires.

Plan is for this Saturday morning to get back on the fuel and carb work. I need to hear her fire up. Plus we'll mount the new rear tires.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #46 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
As soon as you start to drive it the leak will return.

The only way to get rid of the 9" rear leak is to install the inner rear seals.

You will then pack the bearings, works great!

This will take care of your leaking axle seals!

Oh and get rid of those blocks!!! SCARY!!!!

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #47 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Resurection Ranch

Might as well go ahead and do the rear brakes on that thing maybe even upgrade em if ya can swing it. The steering linkage is going to need an upgrade also beings its all bent up. Always something with these 30+ yo trucks. Keep pushing ahead, its a lot of fun to drive em after all the blood and sweat investment.

Rick
Filly

post #48 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Keep pushing ahead, its a lot of fun to drive em after all the blood and sweat investment.
Absolutely! I drive mine almost everyday and love it, infact I make up reasons to get out of the to drive it!!!

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #49 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Yeah I have my work cut out for me. I went up today to try and get her started. I could pour a little gas in the carb and she would fire up. Sounded good. I don't seem to be getting any gas from the fuel pump. So I'll be looking at that in the morning. I will try and connect a short piece of hose from the pump into a jar of fuel to test the pump.
post #50 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM
FSM Lifetime

I have a newer fuel pump, but need a block off plate to remove it!
If ya need a pump I will swap ya a block off for the pump!

Dave

post #51 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 PM
FSM Lifetime

Double post!

Dave

post #52 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Bronco Info: 1985 EB current 1-ton sas and diesel/zf5 swap in progress
good luck reviving the old beast. i have a soft spot for the 78/79s since my first bko was a 78. i look forward to seeing yours on the road!
post #53 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkff05 View Post
good luck reviving the old beast. i have a soft spot for the 78/79s since my first bko was a 78. i look forward to seeing yours on the road!
Yeah my first was the 79. It will be great to have one again.

I was planning to work on her last Sunday but we had rain all day! Which is good. We're way behind. I have a three day weekend coming up. Hope to get the pesky fuel pump deal worked out and get her running. Then I need to look at brakes. I intend to get her home by the end of the month.
post #54 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok I made it back up to the storage today to try and get the girl running. My wife came along to help. I was going to try and pump air into the tank to get the gas flowing. I needed someone to watch the line and see if gas was flowing. The first try at forcing gas up with the air pressure didn’t work. I also added about 5 gallons of gas.

Not knowing how much gas was in the tank was a problem. I did discover today that the gas gauge works. So that’s a good deal. Wife ran back to the house to recharge the air compressor. Put the air back to the tank but still nothing. So I decided to pour a little gas into the line running back to the tank.

Then I had hose on both sides of the fuel pump. I primed the inlet side of the pump and placed the hose in a mason jar of gas. I then primed the output of the pump. I turned her over a bit but I wasn’t seeing gas come out. I did see air bubbles in the feed jar. So I figured that was a good sign. A couple more cranks and I saw a small stream coming from the outlet hose of the fuel pump. Ok time to hook it all back up and see what happens. I reconnected all the lines. I installed a clear fuel filter on the line coming off the tube coming from the fuel tank. That way I could see if we were getting gas from the tank. I still had a new fuel filter right before the carb. So I cranked her over but nothing. I have a friend who restores 55 and 56 Chevys. And he does it really well. I’ve discussed some of this with him. He claims to know nothing about Fords. I always give him grief because he always uses a Ford 9” rear end in his Chevy’s. Anyway he said the other day to pour gas in the carb while trying to get the lines primed. He said it helps to pull gas from the tank with it running. He was right! I poured some gas in the carb and got her to turn over for a second or two.

After a couple of times doing this I saw gas in the first clear fuel filter. That meant I was getting gas from the tank. A few more times and it came to life.

lZu7QH2RTVk

Awesome to get her running again. I let her run about 10 minutes or so. Then I discovered my next thing to work on. The radiator. It was leaking.

I can tell it’s been repaired before. So time for a repair or a new radiator. I have a relative who owns a radiator shop. So I have a call into him.
I got the rear tires on. So now she’s sitting on all her tires. Plan is to have her home by the end of the month.

So it was a good day. I’m glad to be seeing progress.
So anyway next project is the radiator. Stay tuned and thanks for watching.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 06-13-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Pic Links & Typo
post #55 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Resurection Ranch

Outstanding! Glad you got the old girl running. Just a suggestion, tranny cooler while you got the radiotor out. The c6 is well known for overheating and you might want to spray the cooler lines now with pb blast to free them up a little bit.

Rick
Filly

post #56 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Yea I'm glad to have her running. There is a small cooler looking coil in the front grille. I think its about a foot long and about 6 inches high. Could that be a transmission cooler? I'll have to see if I have any pics of it.
post #57 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Good job on getting it running!

It sounds good.

Small radiator could be an aux tranny cooler, an oil cooler, or even a power steering cooler. But more than likely an aftermarket aux tranny cooler.
post #58 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Brother in law is working on getting me a radiator. So I should be replacing it on Saturday.
post #59 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok I stopped by my brother in laws radiator shop. He had ordered me a new radiator. So the plan for the weekend is to actually bring the Bronco home. Itís stored a block away. So I plan to drive it home and continue working on it. The current radiator has a leak but I think it will be fine driving it home. Then the plan is to to get it replaced. Hereís a couple of shots of it.

Stay tuned for more.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #60 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Well the plan to drive her home this weekend didnít work. The brakes need a major overhaul. So I think the plan is to do the F-350 brake upgrade. So I will start ordering the parts this week.

I did go up and work on the radiator today. Started out with some Fast Food.

First order of business is to drain the old system.

I decided to remove the front grille. Made it easier to get to the bolts.

Time to disconnect the trans cooler lines.

This radiator has seen better days!

I decided that while I had the radiator out I might go ahead and replace the fan. My local auto parts didnít stock any. So weíll see what happens with that.

Two of the bolts had washers and two didnít. Iím curious if this is normal?

I really think Iíll try and find a new one.

I bought new hardware to mount the new unit. Itís looking better now.

Time to reconnect the transmission cooler lines. I have to remake one small section that had a kink in the line.

So this is as far I got today. I picked up a replacement section of line. I need a proper tubing bender. The one I have is too small. So I plan to try and find a replacement fan this week. I also need to order a fan shroud. It will be nice to fire her up and not have that leak anymore. Then I can move onto the brakes.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Pic Links

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode