LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Nice work, good luck with the brakes.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Ok made it back to work on the Bronco today. I had hoped to work on it Saturday but we ran errands. Made it to the auto parts and the wife wanted a new car and we had a concert to go to. The wife got her new vehicle and we traded in my daily driver truck. Now that my truck is gone that opens up the check book for more funds on the Bronco. So thatís good news. The concert was great. We saw Jerrod Nieman, Eli Young Band and Dierks Bently.

So I got back to working on it today. I needed to replace one of the lines from the transmission to the bottom of the radiator. I had bought a tubing bender before but it really wasnít the right size. So I found a new one yesterday at the auto parts. It works on multiple size tubing. The first tube I bent I left both fittings on one end. Mistake! The fitting would not slide past the bend. So back to auto parts today. Bought more tubing and got extras!

I reinstalled the fan. Got the upper and lower hoses reconnected. Then we fired her up. Had some minor leaks where the transmission lines connect. Took them off and used some Teflon tape. Reconnected and all was good.

We had to run back to the auto parts as the lower hose was wrong size. I asked the guy for a hose for a 79 F150 w/460. That looked closer. Got back and installed it. Thereís not much clearance between it and the power steering belt. About a ľ inch. So I will have to see what I can do about that later.

Once the leaks were stopped we rechecked the transmission fluid level. I had my son helping me out today. We added some fluid to replace what had leaked out during the replacement process. All good now. Then I fired her up to get the water level good in the radiator.

A1cd3-FJnKg

Ok so the next item on the list is the brakes. I went ahead and bought a new master cylinder yesterday. I plan to bench prime it and then get it replaced. I also plan to order some light sockets for the front blinkers and side marker lamps. Need to get that going so it will pass inspection.

Well thatís all for today. Hope to have her home by the end of November.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #63 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
She's getting there, if it makes ya feel any better I did the same thing with a brake line. Left both fittings on one end and then bent it, Dang!

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)

post #64 of 1021 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
She's getting there, if it makes ya feel any better I did the same thing with a brake line. Left both fittings on one end and then bent it, Dang!
Yea I think I'll only do that once!
post #65 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Made it to Harbor Freight today. I had bought tools from them in the past when I had a 65 Mustang I was working on.

Picked up a brake bleeding kit and a set of brake tools. Have another cool front headed in. Taking Friday off work to get into the brake job.
post #66 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Bronco Info: currently rocking a 1988 with a 6.9 turbo diesel
Nice truck looks mean but is it ant a diesel like mine but if you had one like it for ur first i say have fun
post #67 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

I took a day off today to work on her. The weather was beautiful. We had a cool front come through the day before. I started off at the County Clerkís office. I got her registered and new license plates. Thatís one step closer to street legal.

Itís time to play with the brakes. I also got tired of looking at a rag covering the carb.

I had to run up to the auto parts so I spied an Edelbrock air breather on the shelf.

It looks much better now.

I had to buy a new gasket for the master cylinder cap. The old one had expanded and wasnít seating properly. I took my new turkey baster and removed all the old brake fluid from the master cylinder. It looked pretty nasty. I installed some speed bleeders in the rear wheel cylinders. I worked on bleeding the rear brakes. It seems the pedal feels better. So there may be hope. I need to adjust the rear brakes now. Thatís on the agenda for tomorrow. Plus fixing the front turn signals.

When I got home my package from JBG was here.

Got new side marker sockets and new front turn signal sockets. I also got a new rear license plate lamp assembly. Iím trying to get her closer to being inspection ready.

The front parking light modules are in bad shape.

But at nearly $50 bucks each I think Iíll make these work a bit longer. I cranked her up today and she fired off on the first try. So itís nice to have that part better. The work continuesÖÖÖ

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #68 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

One step forward two steps back....

I decided to work on some lighting issues today. I installed my new license plates. I wanted to get my turn signals working. I started out by replacing one of the license plate lamps. I tried to remove the washer holding it on but after 32 years of rust it wouldnít budge. So I ended up taking a hammer and chisel to it. It came out pretty easy.

Hereís a shot of the new one.

Time to install the new front turn signal sockets.

I installed a new bulb and tried the turn signal. It worked. I installed the socket back into the lens and reinstalled the lens. Tried the turn signal and it stopped working. HmmmÖÖ I decided to look under the dash at the turn signal flasher. Connection to it looks ok. Then I took a look at the fuse block.

Those 3 bright blogs are chunks of foil.

No blow fuses. Yikes. Time to clean this mess up.

1 step forward 2 steps back. Plus all the wires tapped into the front. Time to stock up on some fuses and take care of some wiring. Gonna work on a new parts list while watching a little NFL and put back some

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #69 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Can't find any front housing at a JY? I will be going to find a rear lighting housing this week, I could pick some up for if you need?

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #70 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh View Post
Can't find any front housing at a JY? I will be going to find a rear lighting housing this week, I could pick some up for if you need?
Yea I thought about hitting some local JY. Just not sure how many 79's they would have. We do have some large JY's in the area. I may give that a shot.
post #71 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:40 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Remember that the trucks used the same housings, not just BKOs.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #72 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

I decided to see what JY's where around. There's one about 20 minutes away.

I think I will pay them a visit soon and see what they have. With the time change I may have to wait till next weekend for daylight.

I think I may also look for an electric fan to replace the mechanical cooling fan.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Pic Link
post #73 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
That jy looks way too neat and organized. They probably have every part inventoried in their computer and charge really high prices. They will probably get offended if you call them a junk yard - I bet they prefer "auto recycler" instead! lol

Is there a Pick and Pull close?
post #74 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco.custom
doing a great job so far, it just take time. but keep at it good luck on finding good frt blinkers lens
post #75 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

I broke down and just ordered some new ones. Plus a few other goodies. They'll be here Friday. Lifes been busy. I'm in the middle of changing jobs. I hate the fact that it gets dark by 6 pm. Hopefully I can work on her this weekend. It will be nice to get her back on the road.
post #76 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 02:00 PM

Bronco Info: '96 FSB on 32s", 351w, E4OD
Subscribed and enjoying the thread so far. I've always loved the '78-'79s and looks like you're doing a great job with this one. Just curious - as you replaced the carb, why not go EFI? Maybe there's a big price difference I've been out of touch with that stuff for a while.
post #77 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Bronco Info: Bronco xlt 83
a very nice project u got there! good job!!!

post #78 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMesa View Post
Subscribed and enjoying the thread so far. I've always loved the '78-'79s and looks like you're doing a great job with this one. Just curious - as you replaced the carb, why not go EFI? Maybe there's a big price difference I've been out of touch with that stuff for a while.
Have no idea what all would be involved with an EFI setup. Gonna give the carb route a try and see what happens. Plus my main concern is getting it back on the road. I'm sure the EFI would run a bit more than the carb. EFI may be a future upgrade. But I have lots of other things to put the money into for now.

I have new parts. Just need time to get back on it. Lots of busy weekends and my job change. Hope everyone enjoys the build. I'm enjoying bringing it back.
post #79 of 1021 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 PM

EFI would be the way to go for sure.
post #80 of 1021 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Time for an update. The new job is great. Makes for some long days. Life has been busy! I'm ready to be driving. I called and talked to a local mechanic yesterday. I'm having her towed over to his shop tomorrow so I can get the brakes done and the rear axle seal leak fixed. And whatever else I need to get done to ger her inspected and street legal. Then once I get her home I can work on the day to day stuff. So stay tune for some progress!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode