79 Bronco Katy Texas Build - Ford Bronco Forum
 256Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
79 Bronco Katy Texas Build

Hello all! 79BroncoSpringTx here. Well hereís my 79 Bronco Build thread. If youíve read my Introduction you know I had a 79 Bronco I bought new. I graduated Hign School in 76. Well the 79 was my first ever New vehicle to own. My family had been dealing with a Ford dealer in Huntsville Texas just north of Houston. So I rode up there and sat down with the sales guy and picked out what I wanted. What a thrill for a 21 yr. old. I waited about a month and they called and said it was in. My Dad and I rode up there with my trade in and did the deal and they handed me the keys. Hereís what she looked like. This isn't my actual one. Just a photo I found. It was Candy Apple Red and Wimbledon White. It was beautiful !

Here we are some 30 years later and I wanted it back. I was bitten by the Bronco bug again! So I started my search on Craigslist about a month ago. I was scouring the state of Texas looking for the right one. I found one close by that looked pretty good in the photos. Went to look at it in person and realized they had cut the fender wells on it. The engine was out and in pieces. It had been sitting with the back window down and rain and leaves filling the back. I decided this was not the one for me. So the search continued. I would check Craigslist in the morning and at night. Well on a Thursday night one was posted about 9pm. I texted the guy at 9:30 and was on the phone with him a few minutes later. He had one pic on line. He sent me more pics the next day. Based on the photos I wanted it. I had found a lot of 78ís for sale. I really wanted a 79. And this was a 79. So we did the deal on the phone.
Now for the fun part. Getting it home. It was 4 hrs. north of Houston. It hadnít been inspected in about 5 years. The guy had been just driving it around on his property. He said the tires were old. Well I found a friend with a dually pickup and a trailer. We headed up and loaded it up. I liked what I saw when I got there. The body looked to be in good shape. He had to jumper it to get it cranked. Seem to run good. He drove it up on the trailer. We hadnít gone down the road an hour and both tires on the driver side were flat. And it just did fit on the trailer. Got it back to Houston and aired the tires up and was going to drive it off the trailer. It wouldnít start. So my buddy pushed it off while I steered. I had gotten a storage unit a block from the house to keep it till I can get it street legal. Itís going to need new tires, battery, brake job and perhaps carburetor rebuild. Iím hoping to have it on the street in the next 60 to 90 days. Here are some pics.

I pulled the carpet back on the passenger side to see how the floor looks. I was curious about any rust. It actually looks pretty good.

I was able to get a Marti report on it. It was actually sold about 45 minutes from where I live now. So it originally came out of the Houston area when it was new.
It was ordered with:
Your vehicle was ordered with the following features:
Regular and Deluxe TuTone Paint
Ammeter and Oil Pressure Gauges
Adjustable Steering Column
10.00 x 15-C Raised White Letter Tires
Hood Lock
Illuminated Vanity Mirror
Bright Low Mount Western Mirrors
Speed Control
Air Conditioner
Rear Seat
Tinted Glass
Visibility Group
Console
Dual Electric Horns
Auxiliary Oil Cooler
Tow Hooks
Convenience Group
Increased Capacity Fuel Tank
Rear Stabilizer Bar
Quad Front Shocks
Heavy Duty Rear Shocks

So anyway follow along as I bring her back to life. Iím looking forward to it.

It has 2 battery trays in it. Anyone know what package that would have been a part of? It has the wiring for 2 batteries. It has a 460 which I don't think is original. I'm still investigating things on it.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 09-14-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Changed title name for where I live. Spring to Katy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 12:49 PM
ahhhh..... crap!!!

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco XLT 5.8 E4OD 3.55
Nice!!!!

Lead follow or get OUT of the way..
91 Bronco XLT 351W 3.55 -Other toys - my co demo, 2002 Excursion 7.3l, 2008 VRSCDXA, 2016 BMW Z4 3.5 - My Build Thread
post #3 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Looks good. Yours is in better shape than mine when I started. A 460 was not stock in any 78-79 Bronco - it was either a 351M or 400. I'm surprised the Marti Report didn't say which.

You going to go back to the Candy Apple Red and Wimbledon White paint scheme of your first Bronco? That will look good!

post #4 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Looks good. Yours is in better shape than mine when I started. A 460 was not stock in any 78-79 Bronco - it was either a 351M or 400. I'm surprised the Marti Report didn't say which.

You going to go back to the Candy Apple Red and Wimbledon White paint scheme of your first Bronco? That will look good!
Yeah the Marti report when you filled out the request you had to tell it which engine you had. I thought that was kinda strange. I thought it should know. But getting the other details was good. Like DSO and ordered options.

Yeah I think I want to go back to the Red/White combo. I think it looks awesome. I need to verify the colors that this one was. It's been repainted at some point. Because it came with the Two Tone paint.

Edit:08-24-13 I guess I was being stupid? The tag on the door has an H in the space for engine. So I'm guessing it came with a 351.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 08-24-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Door Tag shows an H
post #5 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Yeah the Marti report when you filled out the request you had to tell it which engine you had. I thought that was kinda strange. I thought it should know. But getting the other details was good. Like DSO and ordered options.

Yeah I think I want to go back to the Red/White combo. I think it looks awesome. I need to verify the colors that this one was. It's been repainted at some point. Because it came with the Two Tone paint.
It's got the race track trim so it would be easy to two-tone it. Does the interior match your first Bronco?

My build sheet from Ford (similar to the Marti Report) listed engine size. You should be able to get it off the VIN tag - 4th digit should be an H or S. H = 351M. S = 400.
post #6 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Nice find there. You got quite a bit of clean up ahead of ya. Someone liked the mud.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #7 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 03:29 PM

Bronco Info: 1989, 5.0, auto, Eddie
That will look great when you get it done. Keep us posted on progress.

Don't hesitate to lean on some of the members here for help when you need it. There are bunch of good people on this site and always helpful.

No fullsize right now, but acquired an uncut I could not resist!
post #8 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Nice find there. You got quite a bit of clean up ahead of ya. Someone liked the mud.
I was a little apprehensive of buying it at first. Guy sent me a YouTube video of him driving it through a pond. A couple of times. I have some clean up to do. But what rust I've seen so far has not been that bad. I won't know for sure till I pull carpet and such.
post #9 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
It's got the race track trim so it would be easy to two-tone it. Does the interior match your first Bronco?

My build sheet from Ford (similar to the Marti Report) listed engine size. You should be able to get it off the VIN tag - 4th digit should be an H or S. H = 351M. S = 400.
The interior is close. I think mine was more of a Red and this is a bit darker of Red or Walnut? I for sure will go back to the two-tone paint. I love that combo.
post #10 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

My immediate plans are for new tires. These are dry rotted and I have 2 flat now. New battery and try and drain and replace fluids asap. But I think it has lots of potential. I think I have a good base to build from.

I will post updates as things progress.
post #11 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Joisey don't smell funny

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco, 460/ZF-5spd, D44 & D60, 4 link rear w/air bags, 35" BFG's
I'm going to be following this build. I love seeing 78-79's saved and restored. If knew back then what I know now, I never would of parted with my 1st 79.
But I'm hanging onto to this one, bringing it back one step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loarmistead View Post
It's simple, really. Non-hyphenated Americans have jobs, therefore they have no time to meddle in such menial and irrelevant affairs. Anyone who gives a shit about what you call him either has a vagina or too much time on his hands.
1979 Bronco 351m/NP435/33's 1996 - 2002 R.I.P.
1993 Bronco XLT 302/E4OD/33's 2002 - 2008 R.I.P.
1978 Bronco 460/ZF5/35's 2010 -
post #12 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Well I'm off to get a battery this weekend for it. I want to get her cranked again. And test out some of the electrical.

Oh and we got a cool front last Monday. So the temps are a lot better.
post #13 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

My wife and son are at Walmart. I have new floor jack and jack stands on the way home. Need to go get a battery and charger afterwhile. Haul toolbox to storage. Look for updated pics tomorrow pm. Time to have fun.
post #14 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok I've got New stuff:
3 ton floor jack
4 jack stands
Battery
Trickle charger
Lug Wrench
Case of beer!
Camera for pics

Work begins in the morning. I have 2 flat tires currently. My thought is I have enough cash to get 2 new tires. Can't afford 4 at the moment. That would run about $1200.00. So I may do that tomorrow also. That will make it where I can move it around.
post #15 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BroncoSpringTx View Post
Ok I've got New stuff:
3 ton floor jack
4 jack stands
Battery
Trickle charger
Lug Wrench
Case of beer!
Camera for pics

Work begins in the morning. I have 2 flat tires currently. My thought is I have enough cash to get 2 new tires. Can't afford 4 at the moment. That would run about $1200.00. So I may do that tomorrow also. That will make it where I can move it around.
Most important part of any build!

I have bought my case for tomorrows work on the Bronco.. bedlining all the outside chrome.
post #16 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

That's right. Well I hauled everything to the storage where the Bronco sits. Decided while I was there I would go ahead and stick the battery in. Had my son with me so we tried to start it. The PO said the choke had issues and needed to be fixed. Tried to start it but no luck. I want to keep it running. It's been 10 days since it's ran. So I'm studying carb's this evening while having a cold one! Will try again tomorrow to get her cranked. Guess I will work on a carb rebuild first.
post #17 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Bronco Info: 99 jeep cherokee body/ 400m/c6/205, 15" lift, 11.2x24 r-1 interco farm cheifs ,dana 60 rear,44 front
nice find will check in later

Hee Hee!!! I have a torch, and a welder and way too much time on my hands

Be carefull while hugging the trees...They leave dents on your truck...
post #18 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok so on today's agenda is carb work. Here are some shots. The PO told me he had to jack with the choke to get it started. So I want to get that fixed first.

It appears to be a Holley 64-5039. I need to get the auto choke working again. It's missing. I'm assuming you can buy a replacement from the local auto parts? Would I be better off doing a rebuild kit?

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 07-22-2012 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Pic Links
post #19 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Redneck Engineer

Ok I think at this point I'm looking at a carb rebuild. Gonna go with electric choke. I have a friend who says his buddy rebuilds carbs. So that's where we stand. Can't let a case of beer go to waste.

Last edited by 79BroncoSpringTx; 05-09-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: typo
post #20 of 998 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM

Bronco Info: 99 jeep cherokee body/ 400m/c6/205, 15" lift, 11.2x24 r-1 interco farm cheifs ,dana 60 rear,44 front
carbs are pretty easy to build...its "the scare factor" that keeps people from doing it..now if it was a late model jap carb say from a honda or toyota id run like hell but its an old ford do it your self youll be happy you did...oh and ive found the old ford transmissions(like the c-6) are so easy any one of my three daughters could build one...i let my truck sit for 3 months while my buddies were woopin it up and ridin hard cus i looked at an exploded view...finally after several outrageus quotes i decided what the heck i can always go get a core from a jy so i tore it down...15min to tear it down (with the haynes tech book)...and less than the time it take to kill a 16oz miller to build...i spent more time cleaning the pan than i did on the whole build process...so in short fear not your old ford it is your friend

Hee Hee!!! I have a torch, and a welder and way too much time on my hands

Be carefull while hugging the trees...They leave dents on your truck...

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode