rossisnow-rebuilding a 78 Custom - Page 19 - Ford Bronco Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #361 of 379 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351M
Just read this entire build. Learning a lot. Was wanting to see how the new carb worked out, but noticed you haven't posted in a while. Any updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom, 35" Toyo Open Country, 3"/4" Superlift, C6-mild shift kit, Fresh 400
I have been reading through threads again to get fired up on the bronco again. The new carb had been working really well. The rear end went out a few months ago though. I had been waiting for it to happen so I could rebuild the pumpkin. I have been too busy getting my business up and running to really have any fun. http://www.hubercad.com/ Things are going good now, so I should be able to set aside some time and money to get back to it.

When it is as nice outside as it is right now, it is hard not to drop the top and go cruising....

Hope everybody is doing well.
post #363 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Welcome back Ross! Look forward to the future endevors with the Bronco and the business.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)

post #364 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 10:49 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Good to see you back at man, love this Bronco

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #365 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom, 35" Toyo Open Country, 3"/4" Superlift, C6-mild shift kit, Fresh 400
You will not belive me, but I worked on my Bronco...

YANKED THE AXLES

DRINK BEER AND PLUG THE HOLE SO IT DOESN'T LEAK. (THATS WHAT SHE SAID )

CRACK THE SEAL

YANK THE THIRD MEMBER , AND THEN REMOVE THE PUMPKIN.

LOOK AT THOSE HERTZIAN FATIGUE PITS (SORRY, GETTING ALL ENGINEERY AGAIN). THAT IS PROBABLY THE CHUNKY SOUND I WAS HEARING.

Next move is to find a new third member, and reverse the above process with new seals and bearings, maybe disk brakes and more beer ...I have a slab to work on now, so I am running out of excuses for why it is still sitting there.
huck2080 and 79BroncoSpringTx like this.
post #366 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Just read through- very nice work. I'm sure I'll be in the market for a motor someday- how is yours working out for you! I figured you would've mentioned it if it crapped out. Nice job, beautiful truck, keep it up!

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #367 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbollero View Post
Just read through- very nice work. I'm sure I'll be in the market for a motor someday- how is yours working out for you! I figured you would've mentioned it if it crapped out. Nice job, beautiful truck, keep it up!
I have not had a chance to put more than about 3000 miles on it, but so far it has been great. No complaints. It has been sitting for quite a while though. Hoping my neglect has not fouled it up too bad.
mrbollero likes this.
post #368 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I suppose if you cant wait till 2020 for your new bronco you could do what this guy did...or not
article here:
Custom Build of New Ford Bronco | Off-Road.com Blog

post #369 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Just saw this and was thinking of posting it! Haha you must've gotten the newsletter too. Can't believe I couldn't find it anywhere else since it's been up for a couple weeks.
Pretty wild design- but obviously has some skills.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build
post #370 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

The craftsmanship is there for sure. Just kinda ugly in my opinion. To each their own.

I have a friend of mine sourcing the third member, which means it is taking a while. I was going to jump on the internet and order something, but he is an old mechanic and said he had a guy..etc etc. Anyway, we will see what happens. Keep ya posted...It has been raining since October. I cant get anything done anyway.

Anybody have a good checklist to run through for the start up since its been sitting awhile?

I am thinking I need to drain the tank. I had a fuel preservative in there, but this ethanol gas is crap. I might as well drop the tank since the fuel gauge is not working. Is there anything I should do to prep the carb if some fuel dried up in there?

Change the oil first, or run it and then drain the oil?
post #371 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

To provide more depth of understanding on the complexity of a driveline and ujoint setup, I recommend watching the following video. Plus, the title is awesome.

5aCK4Bob6a0

Still raining, and my mechanic buddy is still taking his sweet ass time ordering my rear-end. So this is all I got.
post #372 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Resident Nice Guy

Bronco Info: 1979 Ranger XLT, 351m, 4 speed
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossisnow View Post
To provide more depth of understanding on the complexity of a driveline and ujoint setup, I recommend watching the following video. Plus, the title is awesome.

5aCK4Bob6a0

Still raining, and my mechanic buddy is still taking his sweet ass time ordering my rear-end. So this is all I got.
I'm going to be honest: I had no idea the repercussions of being out of phase. I just thought the vibration was from an weight imbalance created by the joints being out of sync. I had no idea there was a pulse in the rotation when that occurred.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Schwim! A social site with an identity crisis.
post #373 of 379 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwim View Post
I'm going to be honest: I had no idea the repercussions of being out of phase. I just thought the vibration was from an weight imbalance created by the joints being out of sync. I had no idea there was a pulse in the rotation when that occurred.
Same here. Its pretty dramatic when he puts the card on there. Makes you think about what that would be doing to your drivetrain. Now I need to research how to make sure they are in phase when I put it back together...
post #374 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Im Reartarded

Old mechanic buddy finally got back to me about the rearend guy he knew. Shipping it would cost more than the pumpkin. I figured as much, but it is still raining, so I have not been in a hurry.

Wondering if anyone out there knows of a source for stock-gearing bronco third members, or wants to share any horror stories or things to watch out for? Not sure what it should cost. Looks like between $600 and $1200. I see that there are a ton of race car options, and lots of fancy super built posi models etc. I just dont want to buy a junker chinese parts model is all.

Do the race car third members and broncos third members have the same gears, and all I need to worry about is the gear ratio?

what does this mean on speedway? "....we use your choice of a standard (8.9 lbs.), lite (6 lbs.) or megalite (5.55 lbs.) steel full spool." Heavier the better I assume?

Thanks.
post #375 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Car and truck 9" varied on the spline of the axle shafts. Cars 28 (little bronco also) Trucks were 31

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #376 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:45 PM

Bronco Info: 79 V8 C6/205
From what i've seen some 2wd trucks were 28 spline , maybe a option on 2wd would net 31 splines.

Every 4wd i've seen were 31 spline.

.http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26328&dateline=121233  5329
post #377 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 & 1990
Garage
i got a friend down in San Bernardino, who builds ford rear ends. He's good, lot's of write up and such, Bill Thomas Enterprises 909-888-7949
post #378 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Car and truck 9" varied on the spline of the axle shafts. Cars 28 (little bronco also) Trucks were 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
From what i've seen some 2wd trucks were 28 spline , maybe a option on 2wd would net 31 splines.

Every 4wd i've seen were 31 spline.
Ah yes. Forgot about that. Need to make sure it has the 1310 yoke too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawbob View Post
i got a friend down in San Bernardino, who builds ford rear ends. He's good, lot's of write up and such, Bill Thomas Enterprises 909-888-7949
Thanks! Sure looks like he knows what he is doing on his web site. Might be a bit high end for my truck, but we will see.
huck2080 likes this.
post #379 of 379 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Hazardous waste disposal day today at the County yard, so I figured it was a good time to dump the corn syrup out of my tank. I need to put a new fuel level sender in and the hoses were showing signs of aging, so it is all on the check list anyway.

XA2rmeybG3M
huck2080, schwim and mrbollero like this.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode