rossisnow-rebuilding a 78 Custom - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco 1978 F150 1985 Bronco
I hear that. If mama aint happy, aint nobody happy.

78 Bronco Dana 44 Front, Dana 70 Rear, 4.56 gears, 6 inch lift,351M C6, 205
85 Bronco XLT 351w C6 9"rearend 32s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Bronco Info: 1991 EB 5.8l E4OD manual 1356 lifted manual hubs sittin on 35's custom exhaust no smog still passes
good luck on the build. shop around for a shop to send your motor to. i just got mine back from the rebuild shop and the end total was 1226.16. this was for a long block that included new cam, crank, lifters, pushrods, pistons, and having the heads rebuilt.
not a bad price i'd say. the two week wait was more than worth what i got for that price.
if you can i would recomend having a couple puzzle boxes for bolts. they work great since you can just poke a hole and stick the bolt in and label it.
i say this because im doing a very similar thing to what you doing and in the rebuilding process it is amazing how easy it is to loose track of which bolt goes where.
post #23 of 373 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 06:21 PM

Thats a beautiful 78. My first vehicle was a 78 that was a candian built bronc got myself in alot of trouble with the old brown terd some 18 yrs ago. lol

ready to ride

post #24 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom, 35" Toyo Open Country, 3"/4" Superlift, C6-mild shift kit, Fresh 400

These heater core outlets almost gone.

Hoping to get the hoist and stand over to the shop this weekend.
Hopefully I will get it out without much trouble.

Superbowl is getting in the way, but I hate both those teams anyway. Should throw a party and trick someone into helping me!

It is pretty easy to get out with the clip off I imagine. Any thing I should be aware of?
post #25 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom, 35" Toyo Open Country, 3"/4" Superlift, C6-mild shift kit, Fresh 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunus View Post
good luck on the build. shop around for a shop to send your motor to. i just got mine back from the rebuild shop and the end total was 1226.16. this was for a long block that included new cam, crank, lifters, pushrods, pistons, and having the heads rebuilt.
not a bad price i'd say. the two week wait was more than worth what i got for that price.
if you can i would recomend having a couple puzzle boxes for bolts. they work great since you can just poke a hole and stick the bolt in and label it.
i say this because im doing a very similar thing to what you doing and in the rebuilding process it is amazing how easy it is to loose track of which bolt goes where.
Not a bad price at all. Was it all pretty stock? Federal Mogul or what? Still putting my package together.

I have been using the old "ziplock and label" trick for my bolts, but my garage looks like a drug bust!
post #26 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

FINALLY

Got it out!

A little greasy.

Sludge.

Sludger...

Random bit o FOD....

Now for the fun stuff!
post #27 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Three wishes:
1. I had an engine stand.
2.I had air tools
3.That I knew what the heck I am doing.

Oh well, hasnt stopped me yet.
post #28 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:22 AM

Bronco Info: 1978 Ranger XLT. Half Cab, 472CI, 4.56's.
Nice!
Good luck on the project and keep the pic's coming!

Tom

post #29 of 373 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Tom! Your 78 is the datum as far as I am concerned. Very nice.
post #30 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 2wd Cummins
Nice looking Bronco, looks a lil bit like mine!

If It Feels Good **** It!
post #31 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Finally got the engine stand over.

Good lord that intake is heavy.....

DT7E-A2B.....70's truck, 77, bronco- (what is A2B again?)

Appears to be the same type of FOD I found under the valve cover....

Wonder what it was?

Ok, so I am not sure how to do much more. I dont have the cylinder honing thing that removes the lip from the top of the cylinder so you can get the pistons out. I dont have a pulley puller thing for the waterpump, and other pulley. I dont have the valve spring compressor....Cant seem to get the flywheel bolts loosened up. Think I am going to have to ask for some help now.
post #32 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Those shavings look like bearing to me.

You don't need a puller for the water pump, just the power steering.
Undo the 4 bolts and it will come off, it will be tight, but it is not pressed on.
The harmonic balancer on the other hand is pressed on and you will need a puller for that.

Valve spring compressors are not very expensive, and you can get one from Vatozone on the loan a tool program.

Easiest way to get the flywheel bolts off is with an impact, otherwise you have to prevent the crank from turning some how.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #33 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh View Post
Those shavings look like bearing to me.

You don't need a puller for the water pump, just the power steering.
Undo the 4 bolts and it will come off, it will be tight, but it is not pressed on.
The harmonic balancer on the other hand is pressed on and you will need a puller for that.

Valve spring compressors are not very expensive, and you can get one from Vatozone on the loan a tool program.

Easiest way to get the flywheel bolts off is with an impact, otherwise you have to prevent the crank from turning some how.
Thanks, wasn't sure about the water pump. Seems like it is trapped behind the main pulley anyway. I tried the breaker bar on the fly wheel, but like you said, it is hard to keep the rest of it from moving. Gonna have to borrow some air tools i think.
post #34 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Oh yeah, the crank pulley has 4 bolts that hold it to the balancer, that will come right off too, then pull the balancer.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #35 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 05:51 PM

Bronco Info: Stock '79 XLT 400
Those shavings look exactly like what I found...I still have no clue what they are from. I changed all my bearings (except cam) and wasn't able to figure it out. Let me know if you do.
post #36 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottTX View Post
Those shavings look exactly like what I found...I still have no clue what they are from. I changed all my bearings (except cam) and wasn't able to figure it out. Let me know if you do.
Left over bits from the last Chevy it ate....should have flossed.
post #37 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Bronco Info: 1985 EB current 1-ton sas and diesel/zf5 swap in progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossisnow View Post
Three wishes:
1. I had an engine stand.
2.I had air tools
3.That I knew what the heck I am doing.

Oh well, hasnt stopped me yet.
i'm right there with ya bro! i am having the hardest time spending almost $200 for the 1500lb stand i need for my 7.3, it's gonna hurt to pull the trigger on that one. air tools? what are they?
post #38 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkff05 View Post
i'm right there with ya bro! i am having the hardest time spending almost $200 for the 1500lb stand i need for my 7.3, it's gonna hurt to pull the trigger on that one. air tools? what are they?
ha ha. I didnt work on it for a couple weeks because I didnt want to buy a $90 one.
post #39 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
FSM Lifetime

FYI I am doing a frame off with no air tools! haha

Breaker bars are your friend...

I paid $50 for the engine stand and $90 for the hoist on a local classified site!

Dave

post #40 of 373 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

If anyone wants to chime in on the "motor rebuild advice" thread I have going, here it is:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...93#post2836793

I am just starting to post some parts......

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode