rossisnow-rebuilding a 78 Custom - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
That's to cool. It will be nice to start from scratch on the mileage. Thanks again for the steering links!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
That is very creative I will give you that!
post #83 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 79 Custom, 460, C6
Wow, you're really going to town on that thing. I love how your kids are in the pics. My oldest son (now 18 and moved away) was still in diapers, when one day I was putting in a clutch and he came over, crawled undo the car planted both hands on the oil pan and rubbed oil all over himself so he could be just like daddy, lol. Needless to say after that,I started using jackstands!

post #84 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom, 35" Toyo Open Country, 3"/4" Superlift, C6-mild shift kit, Fresh 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBboots View Post
Wow, you're really going to town on that thing. I love how your kids are in the pics. My oldest son (now 18 and moved away) was still in diapers, when one day I was putting in a clutch and he came over, crawled undo the car planted both hands on the oil pan and rubbed oil all over himself so he could be just like daddy, lol. Needless to say after that,I started using jackstands!
post #85 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 Custom, 35" Toyo Open Country, 3"/4" Superlift, C6-mild shift kit, Fresh 400

EGR needs some JB love. Never gonna get that sealed.

New not remaned. Couldnt afford anything fancy right now.

What is this red wire in the dash with the black insulation? Accidentally cut it.

Also trying to identify these...any help would be great.

Going to try and put the motor in myself today.
post #86 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Motor looks nice, sorry can't help on the wire question.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #87 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Motor looks great man, was that plugged into anything?

I will take a look at my harness when I get a chance...

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #88 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I was pulling a burnt wire from my wire harness when I accidentally snipped this 1. it is surrounded in some weird black insulation stuff. I am just going to solder it back together and hope for the best. I guess the little clip wires don't matter since everything seems to work.

I do have a newbie question for you guys if you have a minute. do I need a gasket between my stock exhaust manifolds and the heads? the kit came with them but the manual says to just use greace. I have 1800 degree copper anti seize will that work?

thanks for the comments.
post #89 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Do you mean between the exhaust pipe and the headers or the exhaust manifold and the head?

I like gaskets between the head and manifolds, they don't always sit exactly flush and the gasket can fill that gap.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #90 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I mean between the exhaust manifold and the head. I was researching threads earlier and people were making fun of a guy who put gaskets between his stock exhaust manifold and the heads. that is when it finally clicked why the manual says to use graphite grease and dosnt mention a gasket, but the rebuild kit came with them so I am not entirely sure.......

you sayin that you use a gasket? thanks for the reply trying to bolt these on tonight.
post #91 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 PM
FSM Lifetime

Yeah, I use gaskets and spry them with Copper Coat and install them when the Copper Coat is tacky.

Dave

post #92 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

I don't think that this copper anti seize is the right stuff. the guy at o'reillys couldnt wrap his head around what I was trying to do.
copper coat huh? I will have to pick some up tomorrow. its a spray?

thanks for your time on this...
post #93 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 PM
FSM Lifetime

There is a spray on and a can with a ball brush in it. Just depends on what you prefer.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1241&bih=584

Dave

post #94 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 PM
FSM Lifetime

Ya, I'm with Raleigh. I use gaskets....but I use whatever high-temp sealant is available/I have laying around, lol. I also break most of the manifold bolts when pulling too.....so what do I know? AND I always (well, not always) have to redo exhaust manifolds and/or headers cause it's hard to get them to seal sometimes. That's where super/more expensive gaskets really help out (for me anyways).
post #95 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

I am going to use the permatex aviation sealant I been using on the corks. should be good. I do it right, cuz I do it twice anyway.
Thanks for the input.
post #96 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 custom, 1979 Custom

Wow being in a rust prone area sucks. Seeing that in one of our u-pull-its would get my heart racing.

1993 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8W E4OD
1979 Bronco custom 5.8M c6
post #97 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Got some grade 8 bolts from the hardware store and some header washers. Couldn't find a replacement for the stud type bolts, so I had to reuse those. Hoping the anti-seize keeps those from breaking if I have I have to take them off.

raleigh-you can see I sprayed that copper stuff everywhere.

Stupid Orielly motor mount hits the oil pan.
Had to grind it.

Excuse the power point slide below, I didnt know how else to diagram what I am talking about.
I need some help with this vacuum switch smog thing.

Anyway, I am thinking I could just plug it into the vacuum tree at the back of the block, but I dont know if the carb produces a different level of vacuum at that port or what.....I am probably over thinking this.

2broncos-you could probably throw a rock from that pick and pull to the ocean. I am headed there as soon as I get this thing going. Got plans for some of it.
post #98 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

So I think I figured out that the manifold will have too high of vacuum to run the LCV. I think I will try to tee off of another port on the carb, and see if that works. Any-buddy know if this will work?
post #99 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
FSM Lifetime

Ugh, emissions controls

Dave

post #100 of 379 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 04:44 PM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossisnow View Post
So I think I figured out that the manifold will have too high of vacuum to run the LCV. I think I will try to tee off of another port on the carb, and see if that works. Any-buddy know if this will work?
Ummm, wow. Dunno for sure either way (big help I know). You're smart and can trace which ports go where. I'd certainly try it.....then probably get mad, toss the carb, pull egr, buy brand-new carb, and call it a day. Twenty years old and up doesn't need a sniffer test here. Plus most of the inspectors I've seen don't even know what a "stock" second generation is supposed to look like under the hood, lol. I always had a problem with emissions testing anyways, if it's tuned right, it'll run cleaner than they require anyhow. Oops, I think I'm ranting and I think I highjacked your thread. Sorry if you think so.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode