Ok, ive got this wiring thing figured out.
Heres how it goes. Trying to repin both the engine harness & the main control harness, just so i can then splice it into my chassis harness, is a waste of time. Ive got a simpler, wayyyyyy better solution: grafting the 351w harness onto the 460. I know it sounds crazy, but it will totally work, and its actually not that hard to do. It is not a bolt-in swap, so to speak, as there is some wiring that must be done.
So here we go. First up, remove the engine harness. Of note is the 89 fuel rail, and how the fuel lines connect to it right behind where the a/c compressor would be
Here is my junkyard rail swapped in place, with the fuel lines connecting in the back like the 351 does
And here is where i began exploring the electrical. It seems both engines use pretty much the same sensors. The TPS is different; on the small blocks the sensor has a pigtail, on the 460 the wiring harness plugs right into it. So that connector must be changed.
Aside from that, the only other difference is the distributor.
Im not really sure why the difference, but after looking at the wiring, i see it just intersects the PIP & the Signal Return, on their way to the TFI. The third is in parallel w/ the TFI. So unless somebody tells me not to, tomorrow im going to splice that plug into the 88's harness. It will be easy enough to do.
Ok, so the 88's harness has a 'secondary' harness. It goes to all 8 injectors, the ECT, TPS & IAC. The wires are also all way too long, which means i can shorten them all up, and have a nice neat engine harness
Before i cut anything. You can see how much extra wire i have to work with:
This is where im at right now. That secondary harness is done, ill get a pic of it tomorrow. The 'main' harness runs from the EEC connector up the firewall and to the back of the motor where it plugs into the secondary harness. But it also goes to the TFI/Distributor, TAD, TAB, EVR, EGR, A/C, the oil pressure sender, that other stupid little sensor (i forget what it is), the MAP sensor, and a few grounds. At this point i have this entire harness de-loomed. I have completely removed the TAD, TAB, EVR, EGR & A/C circuits. I have added an EGR Eliminator up at the EEC connector to take care of the EGR. I am also re-routing several of the wires, because i think the 88 harness looks like crap with wires run haphazardly across the motor. Ive got about 8 hours into all this today, but all thats left now is to modify the TFI/Dist connections, organize a few wires and then re-loom everything. So if it doesnt snow, and i get to work on the truck tomorrow, then i should have no problem finishing the wiring harness