78 Bronco Build (56k warning) - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
Update:
Well I got a lot of cleaning done tonight. Was in the garage from 3:30-8:30. Gotta love days off work! Anywho, I took the crank out and cleaned that and the bearings and inside the block. I also cleaned valves, bolts, motor mounts, and the heads. I didn't take many pictures since none of it was real interesting. But i did get this

OH YEAH!! I almost forgot!! Just ordered 6 parts from summit and 11 from RockAuto.

Ordered all of the seals and bearings I will need later for the axles and tranny from RockAuto, they are usually cheaper for that stuff. And ordered the fun stuff from Summit. I will be sure to take pics of my pile-o-parts when it gets here.. I'm getting excited!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
Cleaning is getting old, especially after spending all day washing and wire-wheeling. But I got more parts clean today. I think all i have left is the alternator, ps pump, and some brackets. I still have to clean and rebuild the carb, but the kit should be here tomorrow. Unfortunatly I have to work tomorrow, so it will have to wait until tuesday. Summit parts should be here tomorrow and RockAuto parts throughout the week. I am really hoping to start assembling Sunday! I'm starting to get impatient

Hope everyone has a good night!

Anybody know if I should find a new harmonic balancer? The rubber is cracked and falling apart as you can see in the first pic. Any input is appreciated.
post #23 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately I have to work today, but look at what came in the mail!! woop woop! still waiting on stuff from RockAuto, but most of that is for later. And i accidently left the Holley rebuild kit out of the pic. Its in the top left corner.
Should have her purring soon

post #24 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordaholic495 View Post
Anybody know if I should find a new harmonic balancer? The rubber is cracked and falling apart as you can see in the first pic. Any input is appreciated.
Yes definately get a new one if the rubber is cracked. If it slips, first your balance will be off and second you'll have not idea what your timing is if you need to check it.
post #25 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Yes definately get a new one if the rubber is cracked. If it slips, first your balance will be off and second you'll have not idea what your timing is if you need to check it.
Okay thanks a lot. I didn't really know what purpose the rubber was for.
post #26 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco, 400/c6/np205, dana 44/ 9"rear, 3.50 gears, 4" suspension lift with 35"x12.5"x15" tires
I agree that balancer looks shot, I would replace it as like said you will know for sure what your timing is plus a separated balancer is no fun cause it can cause some damage in the long run.

Keep up the progress!!!

1979 Bronco
1979 Ford F-100
1979 Camaro
2003 ranger
post #27 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Got a little bit done today. I had to work on some electrical stuff on my other truck, so I didn't have a ton of time. Got the carb all apart and that is soaking in carb cleaner right now. Bought some paint for the valve covers today, hopefully it looks good. Its kind of an aluminum look, was going to paint them blue but i figured i would throw a little contrast in there since the block and heads will be blue too. I also ordered a new harmonic balancer today. Unfortunatly it's going to take 5-10 days to get here
I have to work tomorrow but i will get a paint of primer on some stuff before i leave. It's getting to be reassembly time
Have a good night everyone!

Is anybody using/used this carb? It's a Holley. How did it perform?

Before:

After:

That's all the pics i got today. But if anyone has used that carb please let me know. Nothing around here has a Holley on it so I'm the guinea pig of the family. So I'm curious.
post #28 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 351m T18 Trans
Gotta a newb question for ya, How are you cleaning up all this stuff up with? Degreaser? I have a Bronco project of my own, just got to post a new thread.. Thanks
post #29 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I used some purple degreaser on a lot of the big stuff. Put it in a spray bottle and sprayed it on (oil pan, valve covers, intake, etc) and let it sit for 10 mins. I found myself wayyyy over wirewheeing, which wasted a lot of my time.
For the smaller stuff i used the parts washer then rinsed it off and then blew it off with the air hose.
I will look forward to your thread!
Thanks for the comment
post #30 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Got more cleaning and painting done today. Most of the pulleys and brackets have their first coat along with the valve covers. I decided to switch it up a little bit and paint the valve covers and "aluminum" color. It actually turned out pretty nice and should look good sitting on blue heads. The intake gasket that was ordered was a valley pan gasket. Since I have an aluminum intake, I didn't want that. So now we are waiting for intake gaskets and the harmonic balancer. I should be able to finish painting and cleaning tomorrow. Then start reassembly on Sunday!!

Cleaned up the spacer plate in prep for paint. I did paint it but forgot to get pics. Will take some tomorrow.

This is the cam bearing installer my dad made.. Hopefully it doesn't mess up the bearing when we put them in, I don't think it will. But its pretty cool, the cone shaped thing lines the rod up to put the bearings in straight and you just knock the bearings into place by hitting the end of the rod with a hammer.

Also cleaned up the distributor cap.

post #31 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, made some more progress tonight. Got the carb back together (thanks to dad) and got a second coat of paint on some stuff. Didn't make a ton of progress since we were both rebuilding the carb so I could learn more about 4bbls. I have rebuilt a 2bbl before but that was nothing. I'm hoping to get some of the engine together on Sunday. I have to work all day tomorrow
Anyway, hope y'alls have a good night. Will post another update Sunday night probably.

post #32 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM

Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 351m T18 Trans
Thanks, that info will deff help me, just bought a 4 inch lift to bring the beast down from a 6 inch lift cause Mass laws
I'll get my thread going Tuesday with some pics
post #33 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBnn View Post
Thanks, that info will deff help me, just bought a 4 inch lift to bring the beast down from a 6 inch lift cause Mass laws
I'll get my thread going Tuesday with some pics
Yeah, just bought a 5 gallon bucket of that degreaser today. It's called "Purple Power". The bucket was about 27.00 and works just as good as the grease lightning or whatever its called that costs about 1/3 more.
post #34 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Today had its ups and downs. I will start with the downs.
1. We couldn't get the cam bearings in because some of the pieces need to be resized on the installer my dad made, so he is going to do that at work tomorrow.
2. Not getting the cam bearings in means nothing else got put on the block.

Now for the ups

1. Got the heads all put together. (Valves, valve springs, keepers)
2. Finally had time to wash my DD (87' Ford Ranger), it was kinda muddy.
3. Watched the "Muddin'" videos from gouletfilms.com! These vids are awesome and "Mud-Nut" is a badass truck, definatly my inspiration. Check out the vids!

Sooo, hopefully my dad wont be too tired to put the cam bearings in tomorrow, because if we can that, then i can do a lot of the rest myself. The engine should be completely assembled by the end of the week and hopefully in the bronco next weekend!!
Excited!

Just some pics of the heads.

Edelbrock valve springs

post #35 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Today turned out to be a rather disappointing day.
I got the main caps and rod caps all clean and the bearings put in and whatnot. Then we put the cam bearings in, and the cam was tight. -.-
So now we have to figure out if one is just a little crooked in the journal or what. Hopefully we can just take them out and put them back in straight and it will work. The plan was to have the whole lower end done tonight, but obviously that didn't happen.
Frusteration. lol

Anywho here is a pic of the clean caps

Cam bearings in

post #36 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Positive Update!!

Made some pretty good progress today!
Ended up getting the cam in with a good not too tight but not too loose fit. Also got the crank in with all the main caps and rod caps torqued down and put the oil pump on and the timing set. So the bottom end is done! Also got the rest of the bolts cleaned up.

Here she is, patiently awaiting her powerplant.

Crank, Cam, and Oil Pump in!

We ended up using a method from Clevite's website that said to use an old cam and cut grooves in it to shave off tight spots on the bearings. We had heard of this before but it was nice seeing it on a bearing manufacturer's site.
Here's how we did it.

Timing set straight up.

post #37 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Made some more progress tonight.
I got the heads installed and got the rocker arms, lifters, and push rods in. Also put the front cover on so i could put the oil pan on, so i got that done. Its starting to look like a V8 again
Hopefully friday i can get the water pump on and everything cleaned up so i can throw a coat of primer and paint on it.

Heads on

post #38 of 273 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Update: The engine is no longer ugly
Here is the last 2 days doings. I will have another update tomorrow. Hopefully a good one!

post #39 of 273 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Some good news and some bad news from today.
Bad news is the engine is not in the bronco yet. The front seal on the tranny needs to be replaced so I am going to pick one up either tomorrow or tuesday.
Good news is the engine is completely ready to be put in.
So as soon as I get the seal in, i will put the engine in.

Here she is!!

Had to pull the less-than-a-year-old exhaust off. When i bought the system I had planned on keeping the engine in and running the stock manifolds. But since I have headers now, we are going to have to do some chopping. Thinking about just dumping it in front of the rear axle now instead since the tail pipes dont really fit right with the shackle flip.

post #40 of 273 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Are your headers fender exit?

I haven't mocked mine up yet but I am hoping they are!

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode