78 Bronco Build (56k warning) - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
Okay I will start out by saying that chassis exit headers SUCK on these broncos!
9 hours or cutting, grinding, fitting, welding, and sweating later... the exhaust is done ....... almost.
the tailpipes dont exit as well as I would like, so those have to be adjusted and maybe make some pieces to straighten that out. We routed the pipe in front of the muffler from the headers the best way we could think of, and it actually didn't turn out too bad.
take a look

taced in place

All welded up

Also, here is the brains behind the whole operation. This is my dad, and I can't thank him enough for all he does for me. I have learned so much from him and this bronco would probably be scrap if it wasn't for him. He's not on this site, but I couldn't ask for a better dad!

Hold up, I'm not done yet!

I also got my temperature gauge all hooked up too

Okay that's all for today
Tomorrow I plan to take a leaf out of both sides in the back to level the truck out and soften the ride a little bit, it's a little stiff in the rear.
Goodnight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
So long tubes no cats and two flowmasters? Your dad did a damn good job man! Looks good.
post #83 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:21 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 79 Custom, 460, C6
Those pipes look pretty good! Your pop can weld that far away (laying on floor in pic) and produce those welds, you better learn from him, he's got skills.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!
post #84 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 466/c6/np205, 6" Deaver lift, 35" Boggers/TSL's, 9" Full Spool, D44 Trac lok, 4.56 gears
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBboots View Post
Those pipes look pretty good! Your pop can weld that far away (laying on floor in pic) and produce those welds, you better learn from him, he's got skills.
Well actually I welded most of the pipe (He fixed what I messed up and did the big gaps) but I took it out to do it
He was just tacing it together there. But he did do a great job of planning the routing for the pipe. That is the best way of routing them that I have seen even on the internet. Thanks a lot for your encouraging posts though, I can always count on having a reply from you the next day. Its pretty cool and I appreciate it.

Also, I got to drive the bronco today!
We had to make sure the trans was going to shift good before we put the shift kit in it. I adjusted the intermediate band before we drove it. It shifts like brand new!
Took a video of it with the new exhaust in the sand pit by our house. I will post that up later. Hopefully I can drive it to school next week sometime
Can you tell I'm happy?

2011 Ford F150 FX4_____1978 Ford Bronco
5.0L, CAI _____________466bbf, 6" lift, 35"tsl/boggers
My build thread!
post #85 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
So long tubes no cats and two flowmasters? Your dad did a damn good job man! Looks good.
You got her
He did do an extremely good job, couldn't be more grateful.
Thanks for the post man!

My build thread!
post #86 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM

Bronco Info: 1978 Bronco Ranger XLT Ford Racing Super Cobra Jet 460
[/QUOTE]

that's nice that you live that close to the sand. Nice work!
post #87 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Totally agree on the headers in these bronco's comment. I have a set on mine and yours looks much better with those curves. Mine is angled off to make those bends up and over the crossmember. How about a pic of how they exit. Header and flowmaster can't be beat !

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #88 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 379sinvb View Post
Totally agree on the headers in these bronco's comment. I have a set on mine and yours looks much better with those curves. Mine is angled off to make those bends up and over the crossmember. How about a pic of how they exit. Header and flowmaster can't be beat !
They exit in the stock tailpipe location, if that's what you mean. I originally bought an entire exhaust system for the engine, but it was for manifolds, so the part in front of the mufflers didn't work. Hence our long day yesterday.

These are the only pics I have of how it exits

My build thread!
post #89 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
Looks like the exhaust was a big PIA! But it looks good. Enjoy the time with Dad. It's Priceless! Looks like you had fun in the sand.
post #90 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 01:56 PM
FSM Lifetime

Ya, it's cool when folks reply (especially if it's positive) to our threads. I just like the 78/79's the best and I've tried to subscribe to all of them. Other guys' ideas really help out when I try to figure something out on mine. Can't wait to see the vid you were talking about.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!
post #91 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Today I just did some little things. Changed the oil ( I used Quaker State Defy oil, supposed to be good for older engines ) Not sure if I have ever mentioned it, but my BKO has a sunroof that a PO installed. They cut out the roof support to do it. Anyway, I put new bolts in that with some rubber washers. Also re-siliconed the surround of the sunroof. Just have to put the shift kit in and change the tranny fluid and I will insure it and drive it. Might not be too many more updates, but hopefully there will be some wheeling pics!!
Other than wiper blades and a rear bumper, the appearance of the bronco isn't going to change much for a little while. So I thought I would post a pic of what it looks like today. That is my dad's 79 too.

My build thread!
post #92 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM
FSM Lifetime

He,he....don't tell your dad, but I like the Bronco better.

post #93 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
He,he....don't tell your dad, but I like the Bronco better.
Really? I've always liked the shortbed standard cab pickups better, but i can almost have that if I take the top off.

Got some more done today. Just some little stuff.
I got some cheap seat covers for now until I can get some better seats. They look good and fit okay, so they will work for now. I also got my rearview mirror glued on, hitch bolted on (Gotta have a hitch, right? ) tranny pan off and fluid drained to get ready for the shift kit. I also came up with an idea for keeping straps and tools and clevises and such all in one place.

Seat covers

Old

New

And here's my idea. Just tap some steel bars and bolt the box down to them. The bars would be under the body.

Have a good night guys! (and gals?)

My build thread!
post #94 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
FSM Lifetime

Oh ya, your pop's truck is cool....very. But, I like the whole covered cargo/SUV/access to the cargo area from inside thing. That's a big box, should work pretty good though. You can get to it pretty good, if you don't lift the BKO up.

post #95 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh ya, your pop's truck is cool....very. But, I like the whole covered cargo/SUV/access to the cargo area from inside thing. That's a big box, should work pretty good though. You can get to it pretty good, if you don't lift the BKO up.
I'm still young, I can jump if I have to

My build thread!
post #96 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:42 AM
FSM Lifetime

Ya, us old dogs can jump too....we just don't want to do it very often, hehe. Say, when are you gonna "jump" on some of that rust? Sorry, I've got a thing about rust.

post #97 of 265 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ya, us old dogs can jump too....we just don't want to do it very often, hehe. Say, when are you gonna "jump" on some of that rust? Sorry, I've got a thing about rust.
That's a little bit back on the list. Before that I'm going to redo the bodymounts with some polyurethane ones, and put lower gears in it. Those seem more important to me since it is mostly a wheeling truck.

My build thread!
post #98 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

It's been a little while! lol
I have done a little bit to the bronco. Been driving it off and on for a little while.
I changed the leaky front output seal in the t-case and have changed the front four body mounts.

Michigan rust

A friend from work made these up for me.

Had to patch the hole on the cab.

Went wayy to fast with the welder, weld turned out horrible on this side.

This was in the passenger cab mount.

Passenger side was much less rusty, got it apart and new washer welded in. Better than new!

Putting the new mounts in helped it engage in park better and helped the front end sit straight. I suppose that may of been because the core support mount was completely gone.

Before:

After:

My build thread!
post #99 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 AM
FSM Lifetime

Good job, it's always nice when something works out like it should.

post #100 of 265 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Bronco Info: 1979
Looks very good. The body mounts may help me too with my shifter issue. Looks like a good weekend for me to do some wrenching...

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode