Deathmobile2 - Multi-Use 1978 Ford Bronco - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
It's a good plan but do it legit or they will reset you at 0.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Actual Work

Worked a few minutes in today while home for lunch. I am rebuilding the steering column. There was a crack on the column where the three retainer bolts attach to that needed welding. The rag joint was toast from power steering fluid leaking all over it and the turn signal did not catch when turning left, so the best bet was to just rebuild the whole thing.

I've installed a new lower bearing and I am cleaning everything up for a fresh coat of paint. I hope to have it reassembled for the end of the week - my son is getting antsy to go for a ride again.

post #23 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
DeathMobile1 and Deathmobile 2

I have had Deathmobile1 since High School (19 years ago) and restored it in 1996. It is a NY truck, so even after replacing most of the body panels, it is in poor shape.

Once I have the Bronco operational and certain parts swapped over, I will put Deathmobile1 up for sale. It is a solid truck with lots of good stuff, but rust and only three seats is does not fit my life at this time.

post #24 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Front Shock Mounts

Any thoughts on either using the F-250 shock mounts or these:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/aux_incl/...fI&w=200&h=200

I have deaver super flex coils and the available stem mount shocks are limiting the suspension.
post #25 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Resurection Ranch

Link is not working for me but could very well be the work computer. If it's c shaped adaptor I am currently using them on mine with the Deaver Coil.

These?

Rick
Filly

post #26 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What shocks are you running? Do you think that they really help articulation?
post #27 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 79 Custom, 460, C6
Hehe, ya, raising your post count is always a good thing. Dunno what shocks Rick is running, but he has pretty good flex. I'm running the "Doetsch Tech Pre-runner 8000" shocks that came with the Superflex kit from JBG. Can't offer an opion on them yet, the BKO has been in the garage since I put them on.
*Edit - forgot to mention....glancing at the newbie questions area and helping out there can really bring your count up.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!
post #28 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am going to run bilstein 7100 series shocks - I want to be able to adjust the valving - especially with the dual front shocks. I am going to get an F-250 shock mount and see how it will line up, to me it seams like a cleaner solution.

I need to install my lift kit - deavers springs - and then flex it with no shocks to get my measurements for bump stops, limiting straps and shocks.
post #29 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM
FSM Lifetime

Sweet, if you're doing limiting straps....are you going to do one for axle twist too? When I talked to a driveline shop, they were insistant straps for axle twist are a must for real off-roading.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!

Last edited by CBboots; 08-31-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: can't spell for sh*t
post #30 of 507 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Resurection Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
What shocks are you running? Do you think that they really help articulation?
I'm running bistein 5100's and get decent flex but that is a radius arm issue. The Deaver coils I put on about a year ago are a great improvement over the superlift ones I previously had. For good flex the arms need to be much longer. Duff e-arms in the future for me.

Rick
Filly

post #31 of 507 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Upholstery Shops

For my VA friends - any recommendations on upholstery shops? I picked up my 79 captains chairs (fully operational and complete!) the other day and now it's time to get them covered in white vinyl.
post #32 of 507 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 10:08 AM
FSM Lifetime

I've used one shop, but can't remember the name (big help). It's just off 495 at Edsall Rd exit...the exit for the Bowl America. When you take the exit, you immediately take a hard right down the service road like you are going to the furniture store and it's right down there.....if any of that is useful, I'll be shocked. The two things I remember about the upholstry getting done was that it was VERY expensive butwas better than new.

post #33 of 507 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Resurection Ranch

Hey Christian it was a big help your old butt remembered Edsall Rd. Try one of these that google gave me.

http://www.northernvirginiachairs.com/
http://www.cylex-usa.com/company/spa...ry-697835.html

or

Van Dorn Upholstery has a 5 out of 5 rating by 1 reviewer. Find them at 510 S Van Dorn St, Alexandria, VA. Call them at (703) 370-1520.

Rick
Filly

post #34 of 507 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 02:59 PM

Bronco Info: 79 bronco custom stock 351 modified c6 trans dana 44 front ford 9 inch rear
Sounds like a fun project i love the color are you keeping it?
post #35 of 507 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally some progress

Ok, so it has been a while. Here is what has been done so far:

1. Installed Dennis Carpenter door panels. BKO came with just one and it was in poor shape. These are much nicer than the hard, painted plastic ones that were the only ones available 16 years ago when I restored the F-150.

2. Installed the High Back Captains Chairs.

3. Replaced driver side valve cover gasket - it was leaking like a siv. Valve train is very clean and supports my theory that this is a rebuilt engine - not a spec of crud anywhere and when I turn off the ignition, it shuts right down. Nice and tight.

I went with an Edelbrock neoprene gasket and stainless studs. It has chrome covers now, but I will be replacing with powder coated stock ones.

4. Installed passenger ball joints, universal, new spicer spindle, timken bearings, sound deadening disc & warn hubs. T-bird caliper, new poly bushings and 4" Deavers coil is next for this side and then it will be on to the driver side.

5. Purchased a third row seat from a 2010 Tahoe in black leather with three shoulder belts. This will work great for the kids. Now selling captains chairs and will be installing 2007-2012 Tahoe leather front seats. This will be way less expensive than redoing the original Ford seats and will match up directly to the new back seat.

6. Hydroboost - I have done more research on this than imaginable. Since I have AC and limited access to junk yards, I have been looking to source the parts on line. I now have sources for all parts and will take back the F-350 stuff and get a reman hydro from Napa and rear disk kit from JBG.

One quick question though - would a Hydro off of a 2001 Super Duty be better than the Astro hydro? I am fabbing the brackets, so that is not an issue.

Between owning my own business and two kids, things are going very, very slow. Throw in the international trips I take every six weeks and this is gonna take forever - oh well!
post #36 of 507 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Dog Shot

He likes the soft bench - too bad it is being replaced with a Tahoe third row. He also likes sleeping between the two front seats. I do not have a console installed and it makes getting the kids in and out much easier than the flip up passenger seat. That pass through is just about useless IMHO.

post #37 of 507 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 07:40 AM
FSM Lifetime

Wow, looking good. I've seen alot of guys doing the Tahoe seat swap....they're nice seats. Cute pooch.

post #38 of 507 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Resurection Ranch

Wow got some work done that's for sure. There was a Bronco on eBay I saw a while ago with suburban seats front to back. Now the nice captains are coming out.....drooolllllll........

As for the SD hb? I'm not sure but you could look through attached thread or pm OX1 or one of the other guys in the thread.

What less than $431.29 can do for your brakes (and steering too)....

Rick
Filly

Last edited by 379sinvb; 11-15-2012 at 04:34 PM.
post #39 of 507 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am going to pass on the SD HB - I can go with all 1978 Lincoln Mark V parts - HB, MC & Pump. I have one correct bracket to mount the Sag to the 400 from a Mark V and now I am on the hunt for the adjustment bracket. I will also go with the Lincoln AC set up as well.

I am happy to be keeping it all in the "Ford Family" under the hood. The seats are a different story..................
post #40 of 507 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:02 PM

Bronco Info: Mostly stock '79 work in progress. Southern Cal/AZ truck all it's life, so basically zero rust.
Wow... and I thought I had a "clean" foundation to start from, lol. Beautiful truck man, and very jealous of your progress! Moar pics, please?

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode