Deathmobile2 - Multi-Use 1978 Ford Bronco - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 158Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Pulled the driver side spindle, etc - came off with one pull of the slide hammer versus an hour of beatings the passenger side took. Plus the spindle, caliper bracket and dust shield all came apart at the same time. I had to pound the spindle out of the passenger side and ruined it. At least now I have one spare spindle.

Also, I bought some taller jack stands to lay the front of the frame on while I change the springs and bushings. My goal it to get it back on its own two front wheels by the end of next weekend.

After that I need to swap in the rear 4" lift springs from the F-150, throw an add a leave into the Bronco springs and install those on the F-150. Once I have the 4" lift installed on the Bronco, I will start the HB & rear disc install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Replaced the ball joints during lunch - took about an hour to complete. Tomorrow I will get the U joint replaced. Then I can return the rental tools!

Both ball joints were pretty shot. The lower was loose and the upper was dry. Thank goodness for air tools!
post #43 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also purchased these front seats today - they are from a 2008 Taurus. Full power, memory & heat. They will go great with the Tahoe back seat!

They even have the seat belts - I am hoping that I can install it in the factory location on the B pillar and that will save me the $200 for replacement belts.

I will be making custom seat mounts to get the new seats to sit perfectly.

post #44 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Made progress today. First the good news:

Installed driver side new spindle, bearings, disc. Followed that up with driver side radius arm bushings and then the new Deavers coil. It took a lot of pushing and pulling to get every thing in place, but since the truck has no rust, things were nice and easy to take apart and put back together.

The bad: I installed the passenger side coil on the driver side and now I have a nice bow to the spring. Will get that turned around tomorrow. Putting the longer spring in really showed the radius arm as the limiting factor for droop!

God news 2: sold the captains chairs to a good home. Now waiting for the Taurus and Tahoe seats to get here. I will pull the carpet to get all the brackets gabbed up and then install sound deader and new carpet.

Will post pics tomorrow!
post #45 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 79 Custom, 460, C6
Hehe.....it's past tomorrow.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!
post #46 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are the pictures.

Turns out the bow was a function of two factors - the spring seat being 180 degrees out and the passenger side still being connected to the stock height spring & sway bar link. Once I turned the seat around and set free the passenger side, the spring stood up straight.

New bushings installed.

Spring bowed.

My helper!
post #47 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Bronco Info: 1996 Bronco xlt sport
Very clean bronco.You have some great idea.I like the turas seat.Great idea to get heated seats.
post #48 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question on deaver's springs - it seems like they are at full drop(limited due to radius arms) - are they pretty soft once on the trail? How do they compare to stock springs?
post #49 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 AM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post

Turns out the bow was a function of two factors - the spring seat being 180 degrees out and the passenger side still being connected to the stock height spring & sway bar link. Once I turned the seat around and set free the passenger side, the spring stood up straight.
I can imagine the "Oh, chit!" factor until you figured out what was going on...I know I woulda've been having a high "pucker" factor, lol.
Cute pic of your little helper ....my oldest forced me into having to "work safe". He started coming out (still in diapers, just learning to walk), crawling under the vehichle w/ daddy, reaching up on the engine/tranny to get his hands all dirty and rubbing it all over so he would look just like me. Needless to say, I started using jack stands after that.

Been so long that I can't remember what stock felt like, but the ride seems a tad softer than my stock '07 F250 SD.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!
post #50 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
What shock combo are you running? I am going to be running single bilsteins either 5165's 0r 7100's so I can adjust and rebuild myself to get it dialed in.
post #51 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
What shock combo are you running? I am going to be running single bilsteins either 5165's 0r 7100's so I can adjust and rebuild myself to get it dialed in.
I'm running singles up front....the shocks that came w/ the Superflex Kit from JBG, "Heavy-Duty Doetsch Tech PreRunner shocks".
Those Bilsteins sound good, especially if you're not buying an "all in one kit"....which is probably better than what I did. You can pick and chose your parts better that way.

post #52 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick note. Taurus seats arrived and I set them in the BKO now that the captains chairs are off to a new home. They are going to work very nice. I just need to fab up some brackets to get them to sit right given the floor pan differences between a 78 BKO and 08 Taurus.

Also ordered this track bar bracket today from Bloody Knuckle Garage for $85. I have dual shocks that I am removing and I didn't want to hack up the front shock mount. I think this is a very clean install and is much stronger than the drop bracket.

I have some travel, but when I get back I am going to measure and order Bilstein 5165's or 7100's for the front.

My goal remains to be ready for the Wheeling for Hope event at the end of April. Lots of ground to go!
post #53 of 536 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
There is a noticable difference in the Deavers and another after market spring. They will ride much smoother on and off road. The radius arms are the limiting factor in the droop catagory. If you do nothing to them but change the bushings you will not see the potential of the spring flex. Adding the drop brackets to the RA will give you some more flex but ultamitely the longer arms are the best way to go.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #54 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Parts, parts, parts...........Really need to start installing all these parts.

Picked these two gems up off of auction last night:

Cage Arms

Edlebrock EGR Intake & Carb

post #55 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM

Bronco Info: 1979
nice build, clean truck, and great ideas. I too am looking to upgrade my seats (front and rear). Have you had a chance to fab the mounts and install them?
post #56 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
More parts - not sure if I should be happy or sad - I need some time to get these things installed.

Here is the latest pick up off of eBay for $70 versus $325 delivered:

Now I just need the following to be where I want to be come the end of April:

Family Cage from JBG
Bilstein Shocks - Tuned to my set up
New carpet kit from ACC
Rear disc brake kit and associated parts
4.56 w/TrueTrac in the rear
4.56 w/eLocker in the front
37x13.5x15 Iroc Radials

Here is what I have in stock and ready to install:
Leather Ford Taurus seats with power/heat/lumbar
Leather Tahoe third row with three integrated shoulder belts
Cage long arms, shock mounts & track bar bracket
Superlift adjustable trac bar (off of F-150)
Deaver Coils
Superlift Leaf Springs (off of F-150)
Lincoln Mark V hydroboost/MC & saginaw power steering
Thunderbird calipers
Full stainless braided hoses
Edlebrock Intake & Holley Truck Avenger Carb
Reconditioned dash pad
Factory Auxillery battery tray (off of F-150)
MSD igntion (off of F-150)
post #57 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So the rear radius arm brackets for the CAGE arms are an older version that is designed to work with the early Bronco's box frame. BKG will sell me what I need for $220. I am also going to design a belly plate that will serve as a skid plate and provide structure to the transmission cross member where the original radius arm brackets went.

Similar to this:

On another note, I had to put the original radius arms back on, install the springs and get the wheels back on - two nasty grams from the town and a threat to tow the BKO was enough motivation. First they dinged me for not having the F-150 registered (now with antique plate), then they see a BKO with no front wheels on jack stands - good thing the cover stayed on my 68 Chevy (unregistered) - the zoning official would have gone nuts!

Also working on the F-150 getting it ready to sell. I hate to let it go, but the BKO fits my needs much better with kids, etc.
post #58 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Wow sucks about the zoning issues. I've found that those stem from neighbors that snitch on ya. If we could get another company out there to make these arms JD might just bring the price back to reasonability.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #59 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM
FSM Lifetime

Ya, Herndon is another one of those places where alot of folks are getting too big for their britches. On one hand, I agree....you don't really want to drive through a neighborhood and see vehicles up on blocks. You learn early on up here in Northern VA to do all your projects inside/garage if you don't want heat from the neighborhood associations.
That's probably the biggest reason I got a place out here in the sticks.....that and being able to piss wherever I want, lol.

post #60 of 536 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am not too worried about it - motivation comes in many forms. Plus, it does look better!

I just need to get a couple of more parts and exchange some parts at Napa followed by some work. Never enough time!

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode