Deathmobile2 - Multi-Use 1978 Ford Bronco - Page 4 - Ford Bronco Forum
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 507 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Bronco Info: 78' Bronco-Rebuilt 400m & Front/Rear Detroit Lockers
Wow, got any pics of the current outer look? You got some sick accessories ready to go in! I am interested in how that cage turns out

78 Bronco- 4" Lift and 35s, Front/Rear Detroit Lockers, 4:10 Gears, a Rebuilt 400M, all that Jazz
My Build Thread:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=213507
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Still waiting on the track bar and radius arm brackets to arrive. At the same time, trying to get the pick up ready to sell. I need to get rid of my car (2005 Infiniti) and the two pick ups by Summer in advance of a move (just down the street). Trying to simplify life a little bit.
post #63 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 10:52 AM
Local # 40 Boilermakers

Bronco Info: transforming...
I would move far away from that place and shit on the lawn of any one telling me what I can do at my house. Good score on the Cage equipment BTW , it is good stuff.

UNION PRIDE
MY STUPIDMOTORS

post #64 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Bronco Info: 1985 EB current 1-ton sas and diesel/zf5 swap in progress
i'm digging the build. sure was a nice clean rig to start with! you will love the hydroboost swap, it makes an amazing difference
post #65 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Thanks - only thing I accomplished this weekend was taking the F-350 swap parts back to Napa in exchange for the Lincoln Mark V HB, MC and Saginaw pump - hey its progress:).
post #66 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Take some good pics of that swap for me. I've got all my parts just haven't dedicated the time.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #67 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, I thought I would take advantage of the good weather and swap out the rear springs from my 78 F-150 to my 78 Bronco. The F-150 has a nice set of 4" super lift soft ride springs that have never seen a lot of action and after reviewing my spend so far, I decided that was a better option for the time being than plunking down $700+ for deavers when you calculate shipping.

Anyways, I dropped more F bombs during the 3 hours of getting almost nothing done than I probably drop in 6 months. To start, I smashed my head on the tailgate and then the F'ing center bolts sent by JBG that go with the add a leaf are 7/16" versus 5/16" stock bolt. (I am tossing the Bronco springs back in the F-150 as I am selling it and it would look odd with its ass dragging.)

So, I thought I would run the drill through the holes and in no time at all, have the leaf packs back together. Well, F no - broke three Snap On 7/16" bits. Then the half ass leaf retainers provided with the kit sucked more ass. If Jeff and his Graveyard crew showed up with a truck load of freebies I still would have punched him in the mouth. Did I mention that the monster 3/4" inch drill beat my ass to a pulp while trying to drill the holes out? Not nice when the bit catches and snaps your wrists over and over. Yes I used cutting oil - those old springs are brittle!

So now, I have one side of the Bronco on stands and haven't done a thing with the F-150. Maybe I can complete one side on each by end of the day tomorrow - wishful thinking.

On a positive note, BKG shipment arrived today with the new style radius arm bracket (I bought a never used set of arms off of eBay, but they had the early style bracket) and the trac bar drop bracket - that thing is awesome and makes the drop bracket/OE bracket combo look dangerous.

For now, here are a couple of pics.

Just getting started.

WIP.

Broken bit #3.

post #68 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:21 PM
Resurection Ranch

Hang in there brother we all have day's like you had today.

Rick
Filly

post #69 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 79 Custom, 460, C6
X2 on what Rick said man, I'm pretty sure we all have had days like that. Sometimes (when I remember) I'll keep a spray can of WD40 nearby and shoot it while I'm drilling. I've hurt my wrists before drilling metal, so I can certainly feel for ya. Better luck on the next go 'round.

My 79 build http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=207864 - Aluminum 3-core radiator, Mallory 85 HEI conversion distributor, High Angle Driveline One Tons front and rear, JBFAB Twin stick shifter kit, True trac differentials front and rear, Yukon 4.56 gears front and rear, Moser Extreme 31 spline rear axles, Borgeson adjustable steering shaft and rag joint, 95 amp 3G alternator, Fireguy/RJM Tech upgraded headlight harness, and a ton of other crap!
post #70 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Bronco Info: 1979
been there, done that, could write a book on it. Either way, keep up the awesome work. Looking forward to more pictures.
post #71 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks 351w500

Location: Northcentral,CA.Twain Harte, up here in the mountains
Bronco Info: 88 Centerion 460 Dana 60/10.25 78 Bronk Cromo shafts,Detoit 4.56's lift 7" Deavers 38's 9"rear disk
This is not the for sale section.

I take Prayer Requests. God Bless
post #72 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Updates & tailpipe options

Ok, took advantage of the good weather to sweat my tail off as I wrestled to get just one Deaver spring installed.

Oh yeah, after that fiasco of an idea of swapping the 4" leaves from the F-150 to the Bronco went up in smoke with the add a leaf swap followed by my inability to get the rusty bolts off to remove the F-150 springs, I threw in the towel and $700 for some Deavers - it was what I wanted anyway.

So, the fun started with not being able to just drop the new leaves in. Had to use my limited jack stands & cribbing to finally raise it up enough to get the axle to drop far enough to fit the spring in. Once I did that, the tailpipe was in the way, so out came the sawzall - would have gotten in the way on the trail at full articulation as well.

Thank goodness these springs are flexy as I was able to muscle it in and get the bolts in. I also replaced the shackles with new stock units while I was at it.

Then I realized that factory wedge was not seating to the spring, so up again the BKO went. Pulled the wedge and test fit against the still to be installed Deaver and the pin is larger than stock. Out comes the monster drill and thank goodness I had the right size bit. Got it fitted up and everything correctly seated.

When I went to install the u-bolts, another surprise, the top plate center hole will not fit over the Deaver center pin nut. So, I need to get the right size bit and open it up.

Anyways, now I need a tailpipe solution. I need something that will not get in the way of the suspension and affords good ground clearance.

Any thoughts?
post #73 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM

Anyways, now I need a tailpipe solution. I need something that will not get in the way of the suspension and affords good ground clearance.

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I had the same concern/problem. I had the duals dump out right before the lip of the rear wheel on each side (a la NASCAR). And since having that done, I have had no issues on the road, loading on the flatbed, or flogging it on the trails.
I think I have pictures on my build if that helps.

1979 FSB 429 CID, C6, 4" Lift, 35" Mickey's, Black Weapon of Zombie Destruction See my progress at:
[url http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210662[/url]
post #74 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks - I don't have a preference on duals one way or the other - a good single set up is fine with me.
post #75 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM

[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrz View Post

Any thoughts?
I had the same concern/problem. I had the duals dump out right before the lip of the rear wheel on each side (a la NASCAR). And since having that done, I have had no issues on the road, loading on the flatbed, or flogging it on the trails.
I think I have pictures on my build if that helps.[/QUOTE]

1979 FSB 429 CID, C6, 4" Lift, 35" Mickey's, Black Weapon of Zombie Destruction See my progress at:
post #76 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Problem is that those will get in the way of the planned sliders..........
post #77 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
Problem is that those will get in the way of the planned sliders..........
Notch the sliders perhaps? I know I plan on putting some on as well, and the way these pipes are attached, they dont bobble and vibrate.

post #78 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM

Bronco Info: 79 Ranger XLT-460,NP435,NP205,stock axles/3.50's,2.5"RC lift,33"trxxs mt's,72 impala horn(best mod)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
Thanks - I don't have a preference on duals one way or the other - a good single set up is fine with me.
a good exaust shop should be able to run a 2 into single 3" pipe turned down before the rear end.it will sound mean (depending on your muffler choice) and won"t protrude like duals.
post #79 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Resurection Ranch

I'm glad you had the pin issues with the Deaver's. When I put mine in I'll be prepared ahead of time and have a sawzall and drill bit ready. I'd anticipated the issue with the exhaust already so no biggie. As for exhaust ideas for ya, how about bringing them back beside the gas tank and then angle them down and out. I have a pic of it, already on my streeter. I'll post it when I find it.

Pic of exhaust dump (same on driver side)

Rick
Filly

Last edited by 379sinvb; 01-31-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: pic added
post #80 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Also make sure you get a 1" bit for the top plate that the u-bolts run through to hold the spring to the axle.

I am glad that I went the 4" route - I think the rear springs are really gonna flex nicely. I am also adding a 1" body lift on top of new poly body mounts.

This is needed to add room for the CAGE shock hoops up front. Without them, I would have to hack into the A/C box and that is not a good option.

Given the greater than 4" lift the Deavers provide and the 1" body with new bushings, I should have no problem running 37" tires and getting awesome flex. I am going to somehow get a fork lift over to the house to flex this thing without the shocks so I can take measurements for shocks, limit straps and bump stops.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode