Deathmobile2 - Multi-Use 1978 Ford Bronco - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 AM

Bronco Info: 1980 300 I6 4spd/1981 302 C6
Any exhausty smell while driving with the Windows down or top off with the exhaust sidepiped like that?

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 507 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM

Bronco Info: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by war1ock View Post
Any exhausty smell while driving with the Windows down or top off with the exhaust sidepiped like that?

Sent from my C771 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I actually have not had any problems or complaints from those that ride with me. If it was a daily driver, and I was in stop and go traffic, maybe? But for trail riding, mudding, playing in the snow, and zombie hunting, no problem.

1979 FSB 429 CID, C6, 4" Lift, 35" Mickey's, Black Weapon of Zombie Destruction See my progress at:
[url http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210662[/url]
post #83 of 507 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Installed the BKG track bar mount today. I know I have said it before, but working on a rust free truck is such a joy. Everything comes apart nice and easy. Contrast that with my 78 F-150 that I still have not been able to remove the adjustable track bar from and the difference is right there - literally side by side.

Two shots of the mount:

Here is what things looked like after removing the front quad shock/track bar mount:

Wire wheeled and coated with anti-seize:

Installed:

Once I get the adjustable track bar off of the F-150 and tighten up a couple of loose ends, I will push for it to sell by the end of March.

Also worked on the 68 Chevy. I haven't run it in almost 10 years of living at our house. It ran great when parked. Added 10 gallons of fresh gas, carb cleaner, new air filter, oil & oil filter, fogged the cylinders, new plugs, cleaned all the squirrel crap out from under the hood, took the battery from the Bronco and put it in. Needs new plug wires since the a couple of boots broke and were brittle.

It turned over without the plugs in with no issues. I know fuel came up to the carb because it started leaking out of the carb and started a small fire! Luckily it went out pretty quickly.

Need to ID the carb and order a rebuild kit for it. Tires still had air in them from the time I parked it. They were low and I filled them up to 60PSI to take some shape (bias ply 7.50 R16).

Overall, I think it will run fine and I will do some minor work to get it ready to sell this spring as well - unless that is I find I like having a 3/4 ton pickup that is low to the ground. We are moving this Summer down the street, so I may keep it until at least then to use to shuttle stuff back and forth.

post #84 of 507 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Bronco Info: 1978 XLT Ranger; 400, AT, 37" MTR's,4.88's & Lockers,5" Deavers, No Rust & No Knicknacks!
Garage
Not much progress on the BKO. I did get the adjustable track bar off of the F-150. Had to use a right angle grinder with cutting wheel to cut the bolt in two places. I put the BKO track bar on the F-150, so one more thing down.

The F-150 did not start and I checked for fuel at the carb - none to be had. I had an extra pump (NIB) sitting around, so I installed that and got fuel to the carb, but still no starting. Checked spark and we were good. Ran briefly with starting fluid.

After trying to start it and then pulling the fuel line to the carb, there was no fuel but a lot of pressure, so I need to pull the top off of the 1406 and clean it out a bit. I have gotten pretty good interest on it and I hope I can get $1800-$2000 for it. The drive train has 70K on it. The motor is a 400 with full edlebrock treatment.

On the C20, I sent the Rochester out for a rebuild to Karb King in Pittsburgh. Once I get that back I will be ready to fire it up. I will need at least one tire - after I filled it up, it went completely flat - a bit of dry rot going on there. I would like to get $2500 for the C20 - it is a bit of a rare bird and all the pieces are there for a great restoration.

Once I move those two pieces, then I can start up on the BKO. Not gonna make the wheeling for hope event - just not enough time. Will make MEB round up though.

Finally, here is my inspiration for the BKO. It came out when I was 8 and very impressionable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQkyi1_l6po
post #85 of 507 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM

Bronco Info: 1974 Bronco with 351w, 1978 F150 4x4 with 1966 F100 cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
I am going to pass on the SD HB - I can go with all 1978 Lincoln Mark V parts - HB, MC & Pump. I have one correct bracket to mount the Sag to the 400 from a Mark V and now I am on the hunt for the adjustment bracket. I will also go with the Lincoln AC set up as well.

I am happy to be keeping it all in the "Ford Family" under the hood. The seats are a different story..................
Make that TWO saginaw brackets and a core pump LOL. Nice build hope to see more!
post #86 of 507 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The F-150 lives! I forgot how sweet she runs with all the work that has been done. She has one mean and deep exhaust note. Master cylinder, heater core, and a couple of loose ends and she will be ready to sell!
post #87 of 507 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Pulled the factory power steering pump, brackets, & brake booster/MC (MC went on the F-150).

Before:

After:

I received the rest of the Ford 400 factory Saginaw brackets from Bluebolt the other day, so I can now mount the new pump and get everything lined up correctly.

I am going to mount the Lincoln HB similar to BigRedKacy - basically directly to the firewall with a support plate. I am going to mock it up in cardboard and take it to a metal shop. I am looking at using 3/8" steel and having it cover a larger area and tie it into the brake pedal assembly on the other side of the firewall. That should keep the firewall from flexing under heavy pedal pressure.

I am using the Lincoln MC (Brand new unit from Napa). T-bird calipers and disks in the rear. Will be using an transfer case e-brake from High Angle Driveline.
post #88 of 507 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven't done any work on the BKO lately - been focused on resurrecting the F-150 and the C20. They sat for ~2 years & 10 years respectively, but both are now running, road worthy and registered!

I have been enjoying driving the F-150 around with my son - he goes to a private school and I have gotten some interesting looks when I come pick him up in a bruised, lifted and loud 35 year old truck! The adults all seem to love it, but their kids need to know that there is more to this world than a mini van and video games!

This was my first vehicle in HS when I started driving in '93, so it is with a heavy heart that I am selling it. I have a young guy and his dad coming to take her tomorrow - since my dad and I worked on restoring her in 96/97, I am ok with it going to another father/son combo with the caveat that they will sell it back to me if they ever get tired of her.

As for the C20, I have decided to keep it - it was my father's truck at the time of his death and he had driven it for about 5 years at that point and did some upgrades, etc. Even after sitting for 10 years, all it took was a full set of fluid changes and a rebuild to the carb - she fired right up. As I said, I was driving my son around in the Ford for the past month and there is something special about having your son sitting on the bench seat of a truck - it puts them on the same level as the parent and really aids in bonding.

So, in addition to the BKO, I now have a 68 C20 project! The first thing is to install three point belts (they actually have the mounting points installed as the three point belts were an option in 67-72 trucks) and stock style mirrors (the previous owner worked for NYC sanitation department and put some massive trash truck mirrors on it for towing). Both are on order and I hope to have them by the weekend.

The 68 is an awesome truck - coils all around, 4.57 with detroit locker (from the factory!), power steering, power brakes, 327 engine and SM465 tranny - great truck to tow with! Plan is to do a stock style restoration - 67-72 Chevys are cool even for a Ford guy!
post #89 of 507 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I need your help! I am desperately in need of a master cylinder to Lincoln hydroboost push rod assembly.

I am in very Northern Virginia (not too many JY's in this area) and just don't have time to get to a junkyard to source this - if anyone out there has one or is open to helping pull one on my behalf, then send me a PM. Thanks in advance!
post #90 of 507 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The 78 F-150 is now in new hands - I have driven that truck over the past 20 years and I cried like a baby when she left - a lot of great memories with that truck. My 4 year old was devastated as well - even when the truck wasn't used much, we would put him in the cab to play around when he was younger - he really enjoyed going for rides with dad over the past couple of weeks. Something about sitting up high and in the front is magical to kids.

Now, if I could just find a source for the pushrod for my hydroboost setup...............
post #91 of 507 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I need a tubing bender for some 1/2" or 3/4" DOM to make some sway bar links - does anyone have one I can use or borrow? Thanks!
post #92 of 507 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Still Need This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmobile2 View Post
I need your help! I am desperately in need of a master cylinder to Lincoln hydroboost push rod assembly.

I am in very Northern Virginia (not too many JY's in this area) and just don't have time to get to a junkyard to source this - if anyone out there has one or is open to helping pull one on my behalf, then send me a PM. Thanks in advance!
I am willing to pay top dollar too!
post #93 of 507 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quick Update:

- Sourced the HB pushrod from Vanco in CA
- Installed the passenger side rear springs - now it doesn't list to the side anymore
- Installed new license plates

Decided to not go with the CAGE shock hoops - I just don't want to cut into the inner fender and/or go body lift. With the CAGE arms and F-250 shock towers, I should get plenty of range of motion for the 7100's.

After installing the rear leaves and seeing how much the Deavers will flex just in the driveway, I definitely need to install a transfer case emergency brake since the stock e-brake cables will quickly max out. This will simplify the rear disc conversion as well as the non e-brake calipers are much cleaner looking and one less thing to worry about getting hung up.
post #94 of 507 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Installed the F-250 shock towers - only needed to drill an additional hole to allow me to install in the factory location.

Ripped out the carpet - previous owner put a funky sound deadening solution in with furring strips and a panel. Also, it looks like they put down some kind of undercoating or something as well.

New rear seat fits great - I installed the brackets and marked for drilling.

Here is a view of the total seating package - I am working on fabricating the seat brackets this week. New carpet set on order from JBG - kit, kick panels, tailgate and floor mats!

Here are a couple of pics of my hydroboost mount mocked up. Will take to the welder this week to burn in everything.

post #95 of 507 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I am getting ready to install the Bloody Knuckle Garage long arms and I wanted to confirm the proper measurement procedure, so I don't turn the frame into Swiss cheese. Here is the near immediate response I got back from Jim Cole @ BKG:

"The answer is either measurement will work but we prefer the 12 3/4"
measurement listed in our instructions as it moves the front axle forward just a touch. The body mount measurement of 22" (I thinks its been 4-5 years since we used that measurement) puts the axle back closer to the stock location on short lifts like 2"-4" but when having a lift on the truck of 4"+ having the front axle go forward a bit as it moves away from the frame with the taller springs keeps the axle closer to where it needs to be on a lifted truck."

This is important because a lot of folks complain about bowed out Deaver coils and BKG's approach will resolve that issue!

Also, in case anyone cares, James Duff will sell the brackets to replace the stock radius arm mounts (these are needed to keep rigidity in the frame and transmission cross member) separately for $13.00!
post #96 of 507 (permalink) Old 05-30-2013, 09:33 PM

Bronco Info: '79 Bronco
Nice build, I like the seat you're putting in.

'79 XLT 351M w/ some mods
post #97 of 507 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 PM

Bronco Info: 78 Bronco 400ci, edelbrock 1406 carb, edelbrock performer manifold, C6, NP205, D44, Ford 9"
Nice!! Keep on trucking man.
post #98 of 507 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In advance of MEB, I made major strides today - the wife took the kids for 4 hours this morning and I attacked the BKO with a full compliment of parts and tools.

Installed front brakes - Thunderbird Calipers, NAPA Super Premiums Pads, Stainless lines from the capliper, extended stainless line to the frame. All new hardware and high quality brake grease applied with a brush.

Installed F-250 wheel cylinders, NAPA Super Premium Shoes and extended stainless line to the frame. All new hardware.

Received the last piece of steel for my HB mount. Off to the welder on Monday. I ordered stock Lincoln lines from NAPA and will cut the hose off of the steel lines and have TIPCO install new hose to the proper length.

HB Mount "mounted" and mocked up with HB

Picked up steel for front seat mounts. Need to cope in the front mounts to fit the contour of the transmission tunnel.

Bilstein shocks, ACC carpet and several other items on the way next week. Less than two weeks to MEB, but we are looking good.

Finally, don't forget to properly chock the wheels or set the e-brake - after putting the rear tires back on while the front end was still suspended on jack stands, I lowered the jack and the BKO rolled forward off of the jack stands. One was pretty ****led up.

Last edited by deathmobile2; 07-01-2013 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added pictures
post #99 of 507 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 PM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #100 of 507 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well - looks like Flickr is being a F'er - it is not letting me save the image location like it did with all my other pictures! We'll have to tackle that later.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode