Scoop's 84 Bronco 300 Build/Restore - Page 3 - Ford Bronco Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT SAS Dana 44 front Power lock Ford 8.8 rear True track 4.88 gears 6" Devers shackle flip
I think they will look good once the tires are on and on the truck... I like old school..

remember its your ride build it your way not there way.
but build it dont buy it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 12:56 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: '79 built 400, Ford 10.5" Rear, Dana 60 Front, Locked, Twin Sticked
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post
The red wheels might look cool, maybe some chrome outer rings on them might tone it down some.
This, I always liked the look of beauty rings, vintage looking.

Dave

"...when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object
evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
post #43 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
I'll have to think about beauty rims. May be too old school for me! Post some pics of what you guys like.
post #44 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 05:39 PM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT bronco 67 bronco 73 bronco
gary
Just read this post. I know you are making that truck a driver but that 300 with the NP435 would be a great truck to wheel. I have the NP-435 in my 67 and it is awesome offroad. I am on the fence with your hubs caps I would have to see them on the truck. I really like the bench seat too. Looks like a good project!

Too many broncos not enough time!
post #45 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep67bro View Post
gary
Just read this post. I know you are making that truck a driver but that 300 with the NP435 would be a great truck to wheel. I have the NP-435 in my 67 and it is awesome offroad. I am on the fence with your hubs caps I would have to see them on the truck. I really like the bench seat too. Looks like a good project!
I hear ya, the 300/NP435 would make a great wheeling combo. But I already have my early Bronco trail rig that I like - 302/C4 combo. I am afraid I'm going to like this one a lot though and want to drive more than just a summer vehicle in Colorado! I have not had a stick shift driver since I sold my MINI Cooper S several years ago and I do miss shifting through the gears! (Although I know an NP435 will not shift like a sports car!)

I will need to see how the rims and hub caps look with tires and on the Bronco before I finally decide, but they are kind of growing on me. I want to two-tone the Bronco with the same color red to tie it all together. My 78 has a bench seat and I like it a lot. I plan to bring it back to TX in November as one of my winter projects!
post #46 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
I'm back in Colorado for a week or so to work on our cabin. But this gives me a chance to work a bit on the 84. Hoping to get it running so I can drive it on the trailer to get it back to Texas. If not, I'll have to winch it on!!

Got it cleaned up a little on the inside and took inventory on what parts I need to get it running. The carb needs rebuilt and the brakes are not working. Those are the main things needed. But I was able to install the grille trim top piece I got from the JY a few weeks ago.

The old piece is on top.

So tomorrow off to the parts store and hopefully get it running!
post #47 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:36 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 95 XLT SAS Dana 44 front Power lock Ford 8.8 rear True track 4.88 gears 6" Devers shackle flip
keep us posted.. hope everything is going great

but build it dont buy it
post #48 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Beach bumming it ........

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
post #49 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Bronco Info: #1: 1979 XLT Free Wheeler. #2 1979 XLT.
Just saw this thread for the first time. Very nice! I actually like the painted wheels and hub caps!

This make #4?

Chris

79 Bronco #1 Free Wheeler Build 79 Bronco #2 Build
post #50 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewater View Post
Just saw this thread for the first time. Very nice! I actually like the painted wheels and hub caps!

This make #4?
Thanks. Yes this makes #4! I'm trying to figure out how to keep them all - LOL! 2 early Broncos and 2 FSBs.

Got the carb rebuilt today. It started snowing a bit so I was not able to get it installed on the Bronco or try to start it yet. Also I need to redneck engineer a fuel system - I don't want to run fuel through the tank until I can get it home, drop it, and clean it out. I'm pretty sure running stale gas through my 78 caused the valves to stick and bend my push rods. I really don't want to have to rebuild this engine too!

Some pics -

All apart with the rebuild kit laid out.

And cleaned up, rebuilt with the other components of my redneck fuel system!

I need to rig up a 1 gallon gas tank under the hood to feed the electric fuel pump then run a hose directly to the carb, bypassing the mechanical pump. Keep in mind this is only to get the Bronco running to get it on and off the trailer. Hopefully my next post will not have the words "fire" and "extinguisher" in it!
mrbollero likes this.
post #51 of 384 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Resurection Ranch

Bronco Info: Blue Eyes,Black Stallion, Shadow & Filly
Looking forward to the next post. Without fire and extinguisher.

Rick
My Projects- "Left for Dead"
Filly

tidewaterbroncos@gmail.com (also on facebook)
post #52 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
It Runs!

With the rebuilt carb and the temporary fuel system, it started right up. And no flames! Here's a short vidieo:

Here's a few pics of the redneck fuel delivery system! The 1-gal "poly" auxillary tank:

The low pressure Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump mounted to an ac line:

And a shot of the carb installed with the new air filter.

Now that it runs I just need to get it to stop - no brakes! I decided to first bleed the brakes to see if I could get any pedal back. The rears seemed to bleed fine but when I tried the first front one it was obvious that the MC was shot. So I picked up a rebuilt one yesterday afternoon and will install it today. As long as I can get some working brakes I can get it on and off the trailer to get it home. Not looking to drive it around here in CO.

This Bronco has been sitting since 2005 and I think yesterday was the first time its had charged battery in it since then. A few other issues came to light:

1. The key is really stiff and does not spring back from the start position nor does it come all the way back to the steering lock position even with pushing the lock button on the column. So I can't get the key out of the ignition!
2. Horn does not work.
3. Front turn signals don't light up.
4. Rear window only comes down about 2 inches and stops. Luckily it goes back up fine.

So already starting a list of things to fix! The rust is not as bad as I thought although I have not looked under the floor mats yet. The front fender arches on both sides are rusted out so I think I'll look for some JY replacements in TX. But the rears are not too bad. Only 1 side has a small bubble area. Door jambs are rust free. And very small rust areas on the bottom of the doors. Worst rust is probably the bottom rears of the rear quarter panels. Looks like LMC sells replacement panels pretty cheap. Of course the tailgate is pretty bad, but aren't they all??

Well off to work on the brakes!
post #53 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Finally success on the brakes. I got a rebuilt MC from CarQuest and it broke during the bench bleeding process! It started building pressure in the first 2-3 strokes, then nothing. Couldn't get it to do anything after that. So I returned it, got my money back and then had to drive another 40 miles to Pueblo to find a new (not rebuilt) MC. This one bench bled fine and works well on the Bronco. I'll need to do more brake work later - like shoes and pads at a minimum, but they are working well enough now to get on and off the trailer safely.

Not sure if it's the cold or what, but after starting right up when I first installed the rebuilt carb, it now is hard to start and takes a lot of cranking. But after it starts it runs fairly well. A good tune up is in order when I get home!
post #54 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 PM

Bronco Info: 91 Bronco 351W E4OD, 6" lift, 35 12.50 Procomp MT2 on 10" wide wheels, Sliders, and custom bumpers
Garage
Good to hear you got it figured out. Once you get it home and that garage finished you will have it running in top shape doing donuts in the yard.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #55 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Resurection Ranch

Good to hear Gary.

Rick
Filly

post #56 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
Choke was stuck open! That's why it it was hard starting. Took off the air cleaner, closed the choke and once again it started right up. It runs pretty good. I let it warm up and drove it around the block. But I'm going to have to get used to the non-synchro 1st gear! Been a while since I drove one!

I'm stoked - I think this is going to be a great ride!
post #57 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Fullsize Member

Garage
This is my last day in Colorado. Heading out this afternoon and hauling the 84 behind the RV. here's a pic of it in front of the garage and cabin.

Got it on the trailer no problem this morning. Here it is all loaded and ready to go.

post #58 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Resurection Ranch

Safe travels to ya Gary.

Rick
Filly

post #59 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:51 PM

Garage
Going to its new home. Safe trip!
post #60 of 384 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Fullsize Member

hope all is great have a safe trip....

but build it dont buy it

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode