Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Scoop's 84 Bronco 300 Build/Restore

94K views 525 replies 70 participants last post by  Scoop 
#1 ·
EDIT 6/30/2017: PLEASE NOTE THAT PHOTOBUCKET HAS REMOVED THE LINKS TO ALL THE PHOTOS HOSTED BY THEM. I WILL BE WORKING TO RESTORE THEM. NEW PHOTOS FROM A NEW HOSTING SITE START ON PAGE 25. PHOTOBUCKET SUCKS!!!

EDIT 12/4/2017: MEMBER SCHWIM HAS RESTORED THE PICS IN THIS THREAD - AT LEAST TEMPORARILY! THANKS SCHWIM!

First, I know, I haven't finished my '78 yet and I'm starting another build??

Second, this will be a slow build as I'm in TX and the Bronco is in CO!

Let me clarify. My son bought an 84 Bronco last summer with the intent of having a project he could work on. Well life gets in the way - a baby last year and another on the way early next year - and he decided its not a good time for a money pit! (Probably a good decision!). So first thought was to do a minimal fix up and sell it. But I kind of liked it so I talked the wife into letting me keep it as a driver/second vehicle for our cabin in Colorado.

The Bronco:

* 1984 base model - white with red interior
* 300 I6
* NP435 (need to confirm, but looks to be a 4-speed non-OD tranny)
* Bench seat
* Crank windows
* AC, PB, PS
* Cruise control
* Rubber mats (no carpet)

Should be perfect for a summer use only vehicle and I've been wanting a 300/NP435 combo Bronco! It's been sitting outside for about 7 years.

The Plans:

* Typical rust repairs (tailgate, wheel wells, bottom of rear quarters, not sure on floor pans yet)
* Paint (some sort of two-tone red and white)
* rebuild carb (future 4.9 conversion??)
* Brakes - needs complete brake job
* New wheels and tires - 31's or 32's, no lift

That's it for now. I may try to get back to CO this fall and do the carb and brake work to at least get it driveable. I just have a few pics I'll try to post shortly.

See less See more
#14 ·
The Bronco is still in CO and I'm still in TX! Can't do much until I get back up there. Just trying to collect some parts right now.

The tires are shot - worst dry rot I've seen in a while! And the wide white wagon wheels gotta go! Thinking about stock steelies painted red (to match the future two-tone red/white paint) with some Ford dog-dish hub caps with 31 inch all-terrains.

Maybe this style. Whatcha all think??

Attachments

#16 ·
Josh, they're actually not in bad shape - I just don't care for aftermarket wagon wheels. Factory wagon wheels (like the Free Wheelin' style on my 78) I do like. Plus I want something different on this one. How about these Ford stock wheels? But I think they'll be hard to find. And probably costly.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Score!!!

I went to Hub Cap Annie's today and picked these up for $20 + tax for ALL 4! I thought that was a pretty good deal.

All are in very good shape. On eBay they were going anywhere from $10 to $50 (for NOS).

Then I went to the local pick-a-part and got 4 stock steelie rims for $10 each plus core plus tax and it ended up being around $60 for all 4. Again I thought that was a pretty good deal for stock wheels with minimal surface rust. They should clean up very nicely.

You have to use your imagination a little, but try to picture the rims bright red!

One of the rims had this tire on it.

Coincidence? I think not . . .

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
I powerwashed the wheels yestereday and I'm painting them today. Did I say red? I meant BRIGHT red!

This is just proof of concept to see if I really like red steelies with dog dish hubcaps. So I just hit them with a wire wheel to clean off the surface rust, and primed and painted. The back sides will remain black with only the fronts painted red.

After the paint dries some more I may put on the hub caps to see what it looks like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.