Now onto the diesel swap project. Last time you saw it, all that had been done was the donor frame was sandblasted and I had acquired some parts including everything needed to rebuild the blown 10.25 rear with 4.56 gears and an Eaton limited slip. After some research however I was having second thoughts about the 4.56 gears with the 37s and the PSD, thinking that the gearing would be too steep. Then, while up at school I was presented with the deal to trade a Dana 44 TTB front end that I already had pulled from a Bronco, along with a semi float 10.25 rear that was included with the F250 donor, for a low milage 10.25 full float rear with 4.10 gears and factory limited slip. Also included were an aftermarket diff cover, RuffStuff U bolts and plates, and brand new drums. Not only would this allow me to return the parts I had to regear mine and save nearly a thousand bucks, but also would save me the time it would take to actually regear it. Sure, the factory limited slip wonít be as nice as the Eaton unit I had, but itíll do. So I jumped on the deal and the next weekend I was home we made the exchange. I feel like I scored.
Also while I was home that weekend I started the mock up of the front end with some help from my dad.
The first thing to do was to remove the front bumper mounts because my bumper doesnít use them. Also while we were up there we took off the core support mounts so we could figure out how we wanted to strengthen the accordion section of the frame. So far weíve decided on using angle iron and donít think we need to box the whole thing.
This is as far as we got with mock up due to needing to do some research on where to position the axle. This set up consists of a Sky Fab SAS kit and a Superduty type X spring. It should yield about 8 inches of lift and I hope to get it all mounted next week.
Since progress came to a halt on that I decided to drag in my freshly acquired axle and crack it open and check it out. I even had my girlfriend give me a hand with cleaning it up.
It ended up having 4.10 gears and the clutches on the limited slip looked to be in good shape, so I was happy.
The diff cover did seem to be pretty ďSOLIDĒ.
Getting all sealed back up
And wire wheeled.
At this point in the weekend I was running out of time before I needed to head back up to school so I slapped together the rear suspension and painted the drums.
The rear brackets are 4.5 inch flip brackets, the springs are new stock F250 springs, and the front brackets are stock Bronco brackets. *The front brackets need to be moved back about 2 inches and that should fix the shackle angle as well as center the axle under the bump stop.
Humped that sucker under there and sheís all mounted up. Then back up to school I went.
A few weeks later I was home again for Thanksgiving Break and I had this waiting for me.
Boy is this thing beefy.
I got some paint on it and then it was time to start stripping down the F250.
It was cold.
Apparently 7.3s are BIG
A good reason as to why this truck should not have been on the road.
I found a snail shell on the engine just like I did with the 5.8 I originally intended to put in. Also at this point I must have forgotten to take pictures, but I pulled the cab off the truck to have better access at the engine. Now I just needed something to lift the engine.
That something was built by my dad and I early on Thanksgiving day.
We had these beams laying around along with the chain lift and dolly so we thought this would be useful to have around. For a size comparison my dad is 6í2. Now we can do engine swaps on monster trucks (Future project?). The only thing left to do is to put wheels on it at some point so we no longer need to slide it.
The first test was pulling the trans and transfer case, and after that the big test, the engine.
Weíve got lift off
And mounted to my new Harbor Freight 2 Ton engine stand. Then I wrapped it up and there she sat till I came home for Winter break.
Once I got home it was time to start stripping down the engine.
Bye bye belts and underhood wiring harness.
Pulling injectors and glow plugs.
And then the fuel system and heads.
And lastly was the removal of the oil pan and motor mounts to finish up disassembly.
The short block looks to be in great shape, the cylinders still have the original cross hatching in them.
After looking the turbo over it seems like it will need a rebuild.
Next up was clean up.
Now the top side.
Ready for paint
I decided to use ďcast ironĒ paint on the block. I originally thought it was just dark grey but I like the way it turned out.
Tomorrow Iíll finish catching you guys up.