1996 Ford Bronco "Moose" Build - Page 14 - Ford Bronco Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #261 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:48 PM

Bronco Info: 93 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoJoe96 View Post
I don't mind, I'm majoring in Mechanical Engineering.
Excellent, and good luck.

Dr Tadros still teaching up there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndewd
You're about as observant as a blind deaf mute in a sensory deprivation tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Stoklosa
After all, a world without enormous, fuel-sucking trucks with suspensions capable of bombing across the Baja at 80 mph isnít a world worth living in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe'
Punching a weatherman in the nose has been on my bucket list for decades!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by turpit View Post
Excellent, and good luck.

Dr Tadros still teaching up there?
Thank you! And he might be, I don't recognize his name though. Did you attend the school?

Built not Bought
post #263 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Now onto the diesel swap project. Last time you saw it, all that had been done was the donor frame was sandblasted and I had acquired some parts including everything needed to rebuild the blown 10.25 rear with 4.56 gears and an Eaton limited slip. After some research however I was having second thoughts about the 4.56 gears with the 37s and the PSD, thinking that the gearing would be too steep. Then, while up at school I was presented with the deal to trade a Dana 44 TTB front end that I already had pulled from a Bronco, along with a semi float 10.25 rear that was included with the F250 donor, for a low milage 10.25 full float rear with 4.10 gears and factory limited slip. Also included were an aftermarket diff cover, RuffStuff U bolts and plates, and brand new drums. Not only would this allow me to return the parts I had to regear mine and save nearly a thousand bucks, but also would save me the time it would take to actually regear it. Sure, the factory limited slip wonít be as nice as the Eaton unit I had, but itíll do. So I jumped on the deal and the next weekend I was home we made the exchange. I feel like I scored.

Also while I was home that weekend I started the mock up of the front end with some help from my dad.

The first thing to do was to remove the front bumper mounts because my bumper doesnít use them. Also while we were up there we took off the core support mounts so we could figure out how we wanted to strengthen the accordion section of the frame. So far weíve decided on using angle iron and donít think we need to box the whole thing.

This is as far as we got with mock up due to needing to do some research on where to position the axle. This set up consists of a Sky Fab SAS kit and a Superduty type X spring. It should yield about 8 inches of lift and I hope to get it all mounted next week.

Since progress came to a halt on that I decided to drag in my freshly acquired axle and crack it open and check it out. I even had my girlfriend give me a hand with cleaning it up.

It ended up having 4.10 gears and the clutches on the limited slip looked to be in good shape, so I was happy.

The diff cover did seem to be pretty ďSOLIDĒ.

Getting all sealed back up

And wire wheeled.

At this point in the weekend I was running out of time before I needed to head back up to school so I slapped together the rear suspension and painted the drums.

The rear brackets are 4.5 inch flip brackets, the springs are new stock F250 springs, and the front brackets are stock Bronco brackets. *The front brackets need to be moved back about 2 inches and that should fix the shackle angle as well as center the axle under the bump stop.

Humped that sucker under there and sheís all mounted up. Then back up to school I went.

A few weeks later I was home again for Thanksgiving Break and I had this waiting for me.

Boy is this thing beefy.

I got some paint on it and then it was time to start stripping down the F250.

It was cold.

Apparently 7.3s are BIG

A good reason as to why this truck should not have been on the road.

I found a snail shell on the engine just like I did with the 5.8 I originally intended to put in. Also at this point I must have forgotten to take pictures, but I pulled the cab off the truck to have better access at the engine. Now I just needed something to lift the engine.

That something was built by my dad and I early on Thanksgiving day.

We had these beams laying around along with the chain lift and dolly so we thought this would be useful to have around. For a size comparison my dad is 6í2. Now we can do engine swaps on monster trucks (Future project?). The only thing left to do is to put wheels on it at some point so we no longer need to slide it.

The first test was pulling the trans and transfer case, and after that the big test, the engine.

Coming out

Weíve got lift off

And mounted to my new Harbor Freight 2 Ton engine stand. Then I wrapped it up and there she sat till I came home for Winter break.

Once I got home it was time to start stripping down the engine.

Bye bye belts and underhood wiring harness.

Pulling injectors and glow plugs.

And then the fuel system and heads.

And lastly was the removal of the oil pan and motor mounts to finish up disassembly.
The short block looks to be in great shape, the cylinders still have the original cross hatching in them.

After looking the turbo over it seems like it will need a rebuild.

Next up was clean up.

Before

After

Now the top side.

Ready for paint

I decided to use ďcast ironĒ paint on the block. I originally thought it was just dark grey but I like the way it turned out.

Tomorrow Iíll finish catching you guys up.
96bronco, Quader1 and mrbollero like this.

Built not Bought

post #264 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
Serious work going on here.

One point I'd like to point out. The accordion section does not need any "strengthening". There is a misconception that it is weaker then a straight frame. The fact is, it is slightly stronger. It is designed to colapse at that location in a front crash, but it would colapse somewhere anyways. (Same forces applied) That place is better for the pax. It is a pain to work with though. LOL.

I love my gantry crane. I'm sure you won't regret building it. Mine was a military surplus. It looks about the same size metal as yours. It's good for three tons. (I only have a two ton hoist) the only differnce I see in construction is mine has the top beam go past the A's about a foot and some angle iron going there. It gives it a little sideways strength if you know what I mean. You might want to keep an eye on those top welds.

Keep the updates coming. Thanks for taking the time to share.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #265 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:22 PM

Bronco Info: 93 XLT
Quote:
Thank you! And he might be, I don't recognize his name though. Did you attend the school?
Yup....quite some time ago, back when they were still just SUNY IT@ Utica/Rome. The engineering school had a good rep and business/industry were recruiting students and pulling them out of the program before they even completed their degrees. There were some pretty good deals....go to work now and the company would pay for the individual to return to school and finish their degrees 3~4 years down the road.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndewd
You're about as observant as a blind deaf mute in a sensory deprivation tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Stoklosa
After all, a world without enormous, fuel-sucking trucks with suspensions capable of bombing across the Baja at 80 mph isnít a world worth living in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPepe'
Punching a weatherman in the nose has been on my bucket list for decades!
post #266 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by helirich View Post
Serious work going on here.

One point I'd like to point out. The accordion section does not need any "strengthening". There is a misconception that it is weaker then a straight frame. The fact is, it is slightly stronger. It is designed to colapse at that location in a front crash, but it would colapse somewhere anyways. (Same forces applied) That place is better for the pax. It is a pain to work with though. LOL.

I love my gantry crane. I'm sure you won't regret building it. Mine was a military surplus. It looks about the same size metal as yours. It's good for three tons. (I only have a two ton hoist) the only differnce I see in construction is mine has the top beam go past the A's about a foot and some angle iron going there. It gives it a little sideways strength if you know what I mean. You might want to keep an eye on those top welds.

Keep the updates coming. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Honestly part of the reason we are adding the angle iron on the frame there is just for the peace of mind, along with making it easier to mount the suspension bracket there. Also we'll have to keep an eye on that. Tonight we actually found some 2 ton caster wheels for the crane. Lastly, will do and thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

Built not Bought
post #267 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 AM

I was doing some thinking on your crane. I think you should put some corner gussets at the top. When you put a ton on the hook, there's a lot of force trying to kick out the A's. (Especially on wheels) I don't have a good pic of mine, but you can see the top in this one.

BroncoJoe96 likes this.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #268 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
I was doing some thinking on your crane. I think you should put some corner gussets at the top. When you put a ton on the hook, there's a lot of force trying to kick out the A's. (Especially on wheels) I don't have a good pic of mine, but you can see the top in this one.
At some point we plan on putting some gussets on the top. It's definitely a good idea.

Built not Bought
post #269 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

When I last left off I had just finished painting the block. Now it was time to clean up everything else. First up was the oil pan. My dad was able to bead blast the one that came on the engine at his job, but after it had a few pin holes so I decide to just replace it. I found one at Rock Auto for about $70.

Once it came in I scruffed up the paint on it and gave it another coat.

Next up were the heads and that started by removing the exhaust manifolds. For Christmas my dad got the electric impact gun pictured below and boy does it have some grunt. We were able to get 2/3rds of the manifold bolts off with it. Then the rest of the bolts that we rounded off we cut the heads off of and welded nuts onto, and then they came right out. We didnít have to drill and tap a single one.

Then came clean up

And then paint.

Plus paint for the accessories

Now time for valve seals

Everything looked good and all the new seals are in.

Now for a little more scrubbing

I must have forgotten to take after pictures. I also clear coated my new water pump today and didnít grab pictures. My plan for tomorrow is to clean up all the gasket surfaces and finally get this engine coming back together. Hopefully the front pan will go on, the water pump, oil pickup, oil pan, and heads. Iím still waiting on injectors and glow plugs but if I get most of the engine back together I can wrap it up and set it aside this week so I can work on the chassis and have it as a roller before I go back up to school on the 17th.
96bronco likes this.

Built not Bought
post #270 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

At this point it was time to take a break from the engine and clean up the yard so I pulled the front Dana 60 out of the F250 frame and then it was time for a scrap run. The 70 even lent a hand loading up and maneuvering the trailer around the yard.

And then after a little work we were ready to go.

It didnít look to be squatting this bad at any other time.

Going in I weighed in at 10860

This crane was sweet, and I weighed out at just under 8000lbs. Now back to the engine build.
96bronco likes this.

Built not Bought
post #271 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Now that the scrap run is done itís time to get back to where I left off.

Last time you saw the engine front cover it was hanging looking like this. After looking it over thereís a tag on the high pressure oil pump stating itís a rebuild which makes me happier with my choice to reuse it.

All cleaned up with a new water pump and thermostat installed.

Now for the last little bit of cleaning on the heads.

And time for parts to start going back on!

Front cover going on.

Next up is the oil pan with some help from my dad and our friend.

Then the first head

My girlfriend supervising as the rockers go in.

And the motor as progress came to a grinding halt. The reason? Lack of head bolts, which I take responsibility for. I ordered one box not knowing I needed a box per head. At this point it was 6 at night and I was wanting to atleast put the other head on so I called up autozone, and the best they could do was get me the bolts by 11 the next day, so I was forced to call it a night. The next day I got up early, grabbed the bolts, and went about installing the head. Head gasket on, head heaved on, bolts dabbed with oil and hand tighten to make sure the headed didnít slide off, and then it was time to torque the bolts down. But one seemed a little funnyÖ

A manufacturer defect. I called up autozone and asked for them to order another set, they said theyíd be there tomorrow at 11, so I had another day to wait. I guess it was time to pull all the bolts so I could exchange the set. Will the next set be good? Only time will tell.

Built not Bought
post #272 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Bronco Info: 96 5.8 4x4 2 inch lift springs up front, 33 inch Toyo Open Country MT
With that many issues from autozone you might want to get your money back and order a set of ARP bolts heck you have the engine apart this far why not head stud it with ARP studs?

other than that the progress looks great and is making me very jealous!! I want a 7.3 in my bronco!!
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

White 1996 Bronco 5.8 4X4 2inch lift springs up front, sitting on 33x12.5x15 Toyo Open Country M/T's with 15x10 Method Double Standards
120 inches of LED light bar good for 100,000 lumens!!
post #273 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matco View Post
With that many issues from autozone you might want to get your money back and order a set of ARP bolts heck you have the engine apart this far why not head stud it with ARP studs?

other than that the progress looks great and is making me very jealous!! I want a 7.3 in my bronco!!
Kind of what I was thinking. The zone has its place, but for something like this, I would look elsewhere.

post #274 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Quote:

Quote:
Kind of what I was thinking. The zone has its place, but for something like this, I would look elsewhere.
The first set I ordered I got from Rock Auto for about half the price I paid for the second set. The only reason I went to autozone for the second set was to get the project back in motion and not have to wait for shipping. Once you see my next post you'll see that I truly am regretting not going with ARP. I'm definitely disappointed in Felpro's quality standards and would swap if I didn't have to replace head gaskets since these have been torqued.

Built not Bought
post #275 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:42 AM

Bronco Info: 96 5.8 4x4 2 inch lift springs up front, 33 inch Toyo Open Country MT
Quote:
The first set I ordered I got from Rock Auto for about half the price I paid for the second set. The only reason I went to autozone for the second set was to get the project back in motion and not have to wait for shipping. Once you see my next post you'll see that I truly am regretting not going with ARP. I'm definitely disappointed in Felpro's quality standards and would swap if I didn't have to replace head gaskets since these have been torqued.
Better to take the set back now and replace it while the motor is out and half apart, take the extra time and cost to do it right the first time. you risk one of those breaking and blowing the head gasket while running which will cost much more than the cost of the two head gaskets and the new head studs
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

White 1996 Bronco 5.8 4X4 2inch lift springs up front, sitting on 33x12.5x15 Toyo Open Country M/T's with 15x10 Method Double Standards
120 inches of LED light bar good for 100,000 lumens!!
post #276 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 96 EB Bronco
Garage
1996 Ford Bronco "Moose" Build

Quote:

You can still put studs in, and not have to do head gaskets. Pull and re-torque them one at a time. Yes it will be fine. Seen it done on 6.0s and 6.4s. Also on the powerstroke, motorcraft replacement parts are best, unless it's a performance upgrade. Especially the glow plugs on 7.3s, use Motorcraft only.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

96 EB Bronco- Efi odII MAF 460, D60, 10.25, detroit lockers, 4.88s, 38 toyos, deaver springs, psc steering.
09 civic- DD
post #277 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Quote:
Better to take the set back now and replace it while the motor is out and half apart, take the extra time and cost to do it right the first time. you risk one of those breaking and blowing the head gasket while running which will cost much more than the cost of the two head gaskets and the new head studs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted Fords View Post
You can still put studs in, and not have to do head gaskets. Pull and re-torque them one at a time. Yes it will be fine. Seen it done on 6.0s and 6.4s. Also on the powerstroke, motorcraft replacement parts are best, unless it's a performance upgrade. Especially the glow plugs on 7.3s, use Motorcraft only.
I would love to swap to ARPs, I just don't have the funds or the time at the moment. Also I've heard that, about some brands of glow plugs actually warping and burning out and do plan to stick Motorcraft ones. But I'm going to settle for now on the head bolts, and think once the Felpro bolts are in and torqued down they'll be fine. It's just getting them in that's the issue...

Threads were cleaned and bolts dabbed with oil as instructed by the Ford manual. This one snapped on the final torque sequence no where close to the called for 105 foot pounds. Luckily it backed right out with putting a screw driver on it, showing that it wasn't wedged in there or anything.

Now I currently have a claim open with Felpro for compensation of my days of wasted time and materials. What a pain to set up that was.
Regardless, all I could do was order a new head gasket, another set of bolts, and slap the head on the engine before I left for school so it wasn't left open.

Built not Bought
post #278 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Sorry to leave you guys waiting, but hereís some pictures of the motor as she sits now.

Thereís still a few odds and ends I need to get but for the most part the engines back together.

Before I dive into the latest updates on the project I found some pictures of our trucks at the mud bog this summer that Iíll post up.

Now back to the build. First things first, Fel-Pro denied my claim stating that I over torqued the head bolt that snapped. Iím calling BS on that, it was no where close to even being fully torqued when it snapped, so I want to fight that. Thatís about all that went on in that area.

Now onto the fun stuff. While I was up at school my dad made some rollers and stands to help with mocking up the drivetrain and moving the chassis around.

Mocking up the front suspension and getting the Dana 60 in.

Tada! Weíre really enjoying the Milwaukee Impact gun.

Then it was time to give the rear axle some love. Seals are on their way but the rear got new spring hardware, wheel cylinders, brake shoes, drums, and paint.

Then it was time for the frame to get some work done including itís minor rust issues repaired. It isnít the first time weíve done this, and itís a lot easier with the body off. For the most part I spent the night in the back cutting out the bad areas and fitting the new plates in while my dad took the welder to the front end and worked up there. We got a lot done in just a few hours.

My dad testing out our diamond edge cutting wheel. I used it to cut all night and itís still going strong.

Now onto the front. For now we just have the front crossmember tacked on in case we have it in the wrong spot and need to move it. The angle iron is welded on solid though.

Time for the rear to go back in.

And for the Dana 60 to come out.

I started stripping it apart and didnít get too far before I ran out of time.

I also had some goodies come in that I have to install next time Iím home. 4.10 gears for the front.

Then on my last day of break I picked up this Bronco. She has been sitting since Ď07 behind a shop because of a blown motor. A 95 with a 302 and 70,000 miles. One of the cleanest Broncoís Iíve ever bought. Iíve been considering swapping the body onto the diesel rolling chassis but think Iím going to stick to the original plan of using my body.

I didnít get to do much to it other than a quick look over before I headed back up to school.

Tuesday after I got back to school we got hit by winter storm Stella. 32 to 36 inches in 8 hours, and I was out on the road for most of it. My buddy got stuck out on the highway so I went out to get him. I didnít get too many pictures except for these ones real early on.

To finish off the day, right before I parked my truck I snapped my drivers side radius arm which took out the front shaft along with it. The next day I limped the truck down to the shop I work at and was able to replace the radius arm this past Saturday. The arm had to come from CT and the snow slowed down it's delivery even more.

The spot where the radius arm broke was pretty thin from rust and may have been cracked for a while so I lucked out having it break when it did. I was in the parking lot at the school (crawling through a snowbank) less than a mile from the garage that I work at. Canít beat that.

Now at this point you guys are all caught up on the progress of the Broncos. In the next few weeks I should be able to run back home and get some work done on the rolling chassis.
79BroncoSpringTx likes this.

Built not Bought
post #279 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM

Nice score on the new Bronco. Thanks for sharing. This is fun watching.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

post #280 of 280 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Bronco Info: 1979 Custom 351m
Garage
Great details! Fantastic work- subscribing to this! It's inspiring to see all the fabrication you and your dad are doing- I'm hoping me and my son (who turns one soon, ha) will be doing similar projects in 20 years.
BroncoJoe96 likes this.

1979 Bronco Custom stock 351m, 33x10.5 BFG tires, Monstaliner paint job, work in progress!
Rusty Custom Build

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode