1996 Ford Bronco "Moose" Build - Page 2 - Ford Bronco Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
On second thought, it'll be up later tonight. Going out to work on the Bronco now instead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Damn that thing is BIG

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - O U T L A W - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - B R O N C O - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
post #23 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1986 Bronco XLT 4x4 -AOD -Warn Hubs, NEW stock 302EFI (2008) All MSD ignition, 9mm FMSR wires
Great save Brother, good job! ~

post #24 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Bronco Info: Broncoless :(
Oh very familiar ad .. Btw where you live? Maybe of close I could stop by sometime and help you wrench on that thing

(96 Bronco Xlt,93 frame,94 axles,96 body, 6 inch Rough Country lift 36x13.5 swampers) SOLD :(
1991 Bronco XLT ....stock for now
Just because it's rusty dosent mean it ant trusty
post #25 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

I live up in Port Jervis, NY. And if I didn't pick it up I don't think there was much hope for her other than a scrap yard.
post #26 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

After the one fender we went on to playing with the rear cross member. My dad had some stainless plate and a friend of his had a break so we used that. And also we patched the inner wheel wells.

Test fitting the fender flare.

This is the cross member bent all up. Welded in pipes around the bolt holes so when we tightened it up we wouldn't crush it. We also welded in the pieces inside to give it some stability.

Then we slapped the top on and welded it in along with some gussets.

Here are some other views:

Other side

And the other panel:

Later on we decided to do away with an inner wheel wells in the back since it caused the rot in the first place and we welded in a few bars to reinforce the panels. They're solid now

Next up was some more house cleaning stuff. Mostly painting things on the undercarriage to make it look nice.
post #27 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 06:34 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 'Shrek' - customised 1981 XLT, 408C, NP435, NP208, 35's
Great work....top effort from a young fella and to work on it with ya dad something you will have memories of forever
johnnyk8 likes this.

Cheers, D

Aussie '81 Bronco XLT Custom - 408C 507HP/504TQ Stroker, D44 TTB/9in, NP435/NP208, Holley 750HP, March serpentine, Flexalite rad & twin thermos, dual snorkel, plenum & filters, 2in body lift, dark tint, new carpet, 2 x single buckets only, Alpine head unit, custom centre console, dash & gauges, custom elec panel, twin air comp & tanks, 35x12.5's on 15x10's, Carr super hoop steps
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=214693
post #28 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 AM

Bronco Info: 96 XLT 302
Nice work!

post #29 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Its Getting There

Thanks guys, I've gotten a bit done lately but still have some back logging to post, so here is some.

Started out by painting some stuff, which was a smart idea since the weather was nice compared to the freezing temperatures now. First up was the gas tank guard:

Little grinding and some paint:

Then I pulled it out of the garage and did some sandblasting on some spots. Mostly under the doors and on the stainless we put in to give it some texture so paint would stick. Also I repainted the skid plate and the picture doesn't give it any justice. It came out really nice for using spray paint

Corked up some spots

And then we got around to replacing the rotted out radiator support. We used some 3 inch angle iron. 3/8s thick I think. It was definitely overkill for the job but it was what we had on hand and with a coat of POR 15 they should last forever.

We also did the passenger side but for some reason I didn't take any pictures of it.

Another problem we ran into was the lack of a front cross member, one of the previous owners had it removed when they put in the after market bumper. This lead to a crack developing behind the steering box so when the wheel was turned the whole part of the frame in front of it would twist and that definitely led to some sloppiness when driving and some noise. So we pulled the steering box, fixed the crack, and put it back in. We're still going to put in a new cross member out of square tubing when we get around to putting the front bumper back on.

I also decided that with the 35s the body lift had to go, so we pulled that.

Half way out

During Christmas break I got around to pulling the rest of the interior and bed lined the inside.

I also did up under the front seats. After that it was time to start putting it back together and getting this beast driving.
post #30 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

A few more pictures

Here are a few more pictures during and after the body drop.

And here is a picture like the paint job we might put on it, except with the red on the bottom.

post #31 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XL stock for now.
Looks good without the body lift!
post #32 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

With the smaller tires I definitely prefer it with out the body lift.
post #33 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1978 ranger xlt,1995 eddie bauer/1978 custom/1996 xlt
I like the paint idea

dont fake the funk on a nasty dunk
post #34 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 78 Custom, 84 Custom, 69 Half Cab, 74 Ranger - stock, 76 Trail Rig
Garage
That paint style is so, ummm, 90's! Ok if you want a retro look.

Nice work on the body. Good to save one that many people would have junked!
post #35 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
4:20 Enthusiast!

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco 300/4.9,wee little stock carb. T-18.NP 208,9" Gotta love stock!
Thanks for the pics! You are real lucky to have your Pop working with ya. It appears he really knows his *hit!!!!
Nice work.

You are also lucky that your weather has not slowed progress too much.lol
We are measuring snow in feet right now and the cold stupid right now.Its warmed to -19C today bit it will drop another 20C degrees by tonight.

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/22538
Full Size Bronco! Not just a truck, It's a way of life! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glayd View Post
dude, these things are the Chuck Norris of SUV's. It aint gonna get any better than a Bronco.
post #36 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

The paints just an idea for now,I'll probably just give it a rattle can job until the spring or summer when the weathers a bit better. And I sure am. Also our garage has a propane heater which heats it up nice. If it didn't, progress would have been slowed a bit. The forecast is below freezing for the next week. But some hardware just came in, just waiting on a few things and she should be driving.
post #37 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Christmas Break

After this post, there should be one more and then this should be up to date. This one isn't too far back though, just late December.

One of the last things to do on the truck mechanically was to fix one of the universal joint carriers on the front axle since it snapped. When I bought the truck it came with a new pumpkin and the piece we needed.

To start out we pulled the front axle apart and the half shafts out and it all went very smoothly except for pulling the pumpkin which resulted in covering the floor in gear oil, but that wasn't too big of a deal. Then we swapped in the new piece, put some silicon on it to seal it, and reinstalled it.

Broken piece out

Since it was apart we replaced the drivers side tired ball joints

While we were taking the axle apart we saw one of the automatic locking hubs had this busted plastic piece in it so we decided it was a good time to swap to manual hubs since we wanted to anyways, so we had to wait on them. For Christmas my parents got me them, a new portion of the E brake cable since mine got shredded after the body lift, and the conversion kit for the manual hubs. Then came the part where we put the axle back together.

Drivers side went easy enough.

Cleaned the caliper

Gave it some paint

Then stuck back in the half shaft and the new hub and bolted on the tire. Passenger side didn't go so smooth. We discover the shock tower needed to be replaced because it had a few rust holes in it and then while trying to get it off I blew the nut off the radius arm. And to finish it all off the break line needed to be replaced. So that was no fun since it killed the hope of getting it driving that week. So I went in and ordered all the stuff we needed and the last of it should be here tomorrow. Totaled up to just under $300.

Big empty space

Front all bedlined

Since we couldn't do much more with the axle until the parts came in we decided to fix the last two rust spots on the body, the big ugly ones in front where the PO cut to make the 42s fit.

So we got to work

Right side wasn't so bad.

Left side

And then we used a little bondo and it came out pretty good I think

Gave the crossmember we built a spray of paint

Started putting the interior back in

Put the headlights and grill back in

And then added the tailgate back on and did some more bondo work. Still some more left to do but atleast its not as rough as it was.

And that was mostly it. Tomorrow the rest of my parts should come in so we can get the fourth wheel back on and take her off the jacks.
post #38 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 AM
4:20 Enthusiast!

Bronco Info: 82 Bronco 300/4.9,wee little stock carb. T-18.NP 208,9" Gotta love stock!
Nice job!
Looking forward to seeing it after paint now.lol

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/22538
Full Size Bronco! Not just a truck, It's a way of life! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glayd View Post
dude, these things are the Chuck Norris of SUV's. It aint gonna get any better than a Bronco.
post #39 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

This weekend I got some stuff done. Put in the drive shaft, new shock tower, shock, a new radius and new bushings and hardware along with running a new break line. Also I had some free time so I painted some things underneath and it looks real clean. Plus I filled the front axle with gear fluid and started mocking up the mounts for the front bumper. I'm planning on spraying the underside and wheel wells in the back with bedliner this week also so I can get the gas tank back in and get this pig moving.
post #40 of 280 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Bronco Info: 1991 5.0 auto stock (for now)
I cant believe the PO ran 42s on that rig. I would think the ball joints and other components wouldnt like that for very long.

91 Bronco/ 5.0 from a 96 F150/E4OD/OpenTTB/Open 8.8. 163k.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode