1996 Ford Bronco "Moose" Build - Page 5 - Ford Bronco Forum
 53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1996 5.0L Automatic Bronco XLT
There's a lot of little things that need some work and some upgrades that are coming to mind but for now it's on the road and a blast to drive and I've been driving it all day. After a new set of tires and a good alignment we took it out on the highway and it drove better there than on the normal road. And the new STTs look sharp too. I'll have pics up soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Well today we got some things done, installed the visor and some front tow hooks, fixed the pump for the windshield wager fluid which just had a couple broken leads on it, and replaced a wore out tie rod end that went to the pitman arm. Then me and my dad gave it a bath and went for a photo shoot.
post #83 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Fullsize Member

Bronco Info: 1995 XL stock for now.
Looks awesome. You and your father did a great job.

post #84 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Redneck Engineer

Bronco Info: 79 Bronco Ranger XLT C6 35's
post #85 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Thanks guys, it's a blast driving it around. The steering likes to wander a little I think because of the TTB but it's manageable.
post #86 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Bronco Snob

Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 351W E4OD 4" lift TRE flip 130 amp 3G Alt Saginaw P.S. BFG MT KM2 315 75 16
Garage
Sharp Bronco, Joe. I'm interested in the STT's..and am about due for some new skids...so look for me to hit you up in a few months for a review.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a higher degree of both. - Milton Friedman -
post #87 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Sounds good. So far I love them but only have maybe 30 miles on them.
post #88 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 10:54 AM
FSM Lifetime

Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco, 351W, 4Speed
Awesome job, love the tires/wheels.
post #89 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

I have a lot of updates that need to be posted from chasing a check engine light to general stuff to trying to get the truck to go straight but here's my favorite new addition.

Happy Easter guys
post #90 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Bronco Info: 1982 XLT Lariat
Is that a BBQ? Thats a friggin awesome idea!!

1982 Bronco XLT

466, Comp cam, roller rockers, alloy heads, Weiand stealth, 750dp, C6, 4 inch RC lift.
post #91 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

BBQ and Serving table. Haha. Thanks
post #92 of 280 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBTheKing View Post
I have a lot of updates that need to be posted from chasing a check engine light to general stuff to trying to get the truck to go straight but here's my favorite new addition.

Happy Easter guys
Awesome addition! Love that idea! Might just have to do something like that for my 84
post #93 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Big Update

Well last time I updated this the truck was in the shop getting an alignment, a fix for the P0171 and P0174 engine codes which signaled a lean engine condition on both banks, and an inspection. After a few days I got a very pricey inspection and needed to take it to another alignment shop because the truck was hard to keep on the road. I was told I would need new fuel injectors and the shop shimmed my ball joints all the way out. We were told the ejectors were clogged but the truck seemed to run fine. After a scary ride to the next town over to hit the alignment shop they eliminated the hard pull into on coming traffic but the truck still liked to wander. They said this was because the ball joints were all the way maxed out to one side and couldn't recenter themselves after turns so that's why it needed constant readjustment by the driver to keep it going straight. It was a lot better to drive but still not great. We figured out the bushings that we put into the TTB when we PMed it weren't very strong and would flex. To fix that we replaced the black rubber bushings with red polyurethane. Also we replaced a semi worn out tie rod to see if that helped. Neither fix had any drastic results but while doing this we figured out who ever installed the lift put it into the 4 inch hole on the bracket instead of the 6 so we decided we might as well drop it down, get it realigned, and see if that would help, so we did that. We went over the next day to get it aligned and it drove even worse. Now the ball joints were maxed all the way in and they had to turn the shims around 180 degrees the exact opposite from how they were. We went from one extreme to the other. The guy at the shop really knew what he was talking about and said there really should be a hole inbetween the two provided with the kit. So guess what we did that night.... Sorry for the lack of pictures but we basically went home and banged that 3rd hole out. We took off one bracket at a time and found dead center inbetween and drilled it out to the same size as the other holes. Then we welded up the 4 and 6 inch hole so the bracket wasn't Swiss cheese. After, we went and did the same to the other bracket. I'll get pictures off it tomorrow. I forgot to at the time. Anyways the next morning we took the truck for its last ride to the alignment in the next town over and the guys there were reluctant to see it but damn did they do a good job. They got the alignment right on the money and with the 3rd hole they were able to get the ball joints vertical and they had room to adjust them both ways. The drive home was a lot better but the truck still liked to wander some so we played with the air pressure in the tires. They called for 35 PSI and the two in front had 34 in one and 37 in the other. When they both were at 35 PSI it went better but it looked like there was only a little tread actually meeting the road so we played with the pressure. Currently we're running 30 and that seems to be the best and it drives good. Still not perfect but a ton better then it did. We're panning on doing a tie rod end flip at some point and that should help too. What I'm surprised by though is the truck handles better on the highway then on side roads.

The other problem we were having was with the check engine light I mentioned earlier. We checked fuel pressure and it was at 31 PSI which was within spec but we changed the gas filter just in case. Next we thought it was a vacuum leak which we searched for with our home made smoke generator which was my dad blowing cigar smoke into the brake booster vacuum line. We found a leak on the bottom of the EGR tube, a small one on the top of the throttle body that we still have to fix, and one on the bottom of the throttle body coming threw the TPS sensor. We put a piece square inch piece of duct tape on the TPS sensor to cover the hole and we got an extra 15 MPH out of the truck. (We will soon be taking orders for high performance duct tape) This kept the light off for a while but then the exact ones came back on even after we put a real patch on the hole. We checked all the sensors that work with the EGR and they all seem to be good. It seems to always turn back on when we go into reverse. We think its a leak that opens up when we shift into reverse. The only thing that happens with the light being on is a light ping under load that doesn't occur with the light off. So we shall now be testing for leaks with our 3rd gen smoke machine. Second gen was a cigar in a coffee can with an air regulator blowing smoke into it. The latest one is an electric heater that boils baby oil. Heres a picture of the "guts." It all goes inside this nice aluminum tank we got from our local scrap yard.

Another project we did was running boards/sliders. They still need a little more reinforcement before I use them as sliders but this is how they sit currently.

Then for our lastest project. I had the idea of pulling the old plastic rear panels and replacing them with diamond plate tool boxes that we'll make. So far we have one made. Also found a few other goodies at the scrap yard and pulled the rear interior so its easier to work. That tank equates to onboard air real soon. Just need to find a place to mount it.

Currently how she sits and its a blast to drive. She's come a long way and getting better every week.
post #94 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Bronco Info: 90' 351/E40D 38" tires, 4.88 gears, full float 8.8, lockers F&R
I drilled the third hole also because my springs sagged after a few years. You didn't need to weld the other holes up. If you put new springs on or yours sag, you'll wish you didn't.

I like the boxes in the back. On my old 88' Bronco, I removed the rear seat and threw a bean bag chair back there for the occasional rider. Everybody loved it. (Probably illegal)

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #95 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

I like the bean bag idea but these springs on there currently are tight. There's no sag in them at all. Any bigger and I doubt they'd fit.
post #96 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

And worst case I'll drill them back out. I'd rather have them stronger now. And I plan on putting the rear seat back in after I finish the other box.
post #97 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 PM

It didn't look like the back seat would fit in with those boxes. Cool.

Check out my "Molasses Project"http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197652
post #98 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
FSM Lifetime

Spare

Forgot to mention this yesterday but I got extremely lucky and found a matching Mickey T rim at the scrap yard the other day so I picked it up as a spare and cleaned it up and mounted an old 35 on it. Now that back bumper finally looks complete.

post #99 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Bronco Info: 95 Full Size Bronco, Factory 460, C6,33" bfg mt's also a 78 bronco (project on the back burner)
hey man love those diamond plat boxes! you and your dad did some great work! keep it up!
post #100 of 280 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:09 PM

If those are true M/T rims (they look like it), they can be polished to look like chrome. I have them and did it once. It's a lot of work, but lasts for a few years. I like them in flat silver too, so that's what mine look like now.

Ford Bronco Forum > Bronco Discussions > 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Bronco Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. DO NOT USE Gmail.com accounts. If you only have a Gmail.com email please contact the administrator here

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode