Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

96Bronco build

86K views 356 replies 72 participants last post by  BikerPepe` 
#1 ·
I've been a member since the site was first started. Now that my son can drive there is a renewed interest in building out the Bronco. So time to start a build thread.

This past weekend I picked up a set of Boondock sliders from a fellow member.

Full set of pics are here: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/26920/84235

These things are HEAVY..

You can see they have some surface rust on them. My son spent a couple hours on getting them all cleaned up for a fresh coat of primer and paint.
clean up on-left, still needs some work- right

Factory running boards removed, my son said it looks like a added 2" more of lift..lol

Test fitting the slider, marking holes, cutting body mount bracket, etc.

Primer white. Needs back side done and then they will be ready for paint.

I have read this from other threads but I am running into the same install challenges as everyone else.

-Front mounting plates will need to be shimmed out on both sides to make it sit level with the body.

-I had to grind down ( on both sides) the corner of the body mount brackets. See registry photo.

-The notch in the sliders is too far forward by 1/4" so I need to trim that mount down as well.

Still to come next week will be the more complicated drivers side. I am planning on painting the sliders black and going with the 3M grip tape for the step.

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a buddy make these shims for me. Should get me the 1/2" I need to get the sliders even with the body.

[/IMG]

#4 ·
I hadn't planned on it.

Made these because the frame rail tapers in towards the front of the truck. The sliders were not build to accommodate that. The front mounting arm really needs to be 1/2" longer in order for the slider arm to be even with the body.

If you look at the test fit picture (with my son in it) you can see what I mean. Its exaggerated but show the front of the slider being tucked too far under the body.

#6 ·
I see your point and that is a good idea... Maybe I will do that also.

Reason I have so many is that its only 1/4" steel and I need to get to 1/2" on both passenger and driver side.

#8 ·
first coat of black paint last night

[/IMG]

#9 ·

never had to trim the body mount though, i just butted them up against the factory body mount and they cleared fine

either way that black paint sure makes them look nice.

sorry old pics i had laying around

Reactions: bsd4083
#10 ·
never had to trim the body mount though, i just butted them up against the factory body mount and they cleared fine

either way that black paint sure makes them look nice.

sorry old pics i had laying around
Must be due to the different model years. It was not alot but I did have to trim both sides.

Thanks I like the black a lot as well

#11 ·
finshed up the sliders over the weekend

I finished up the install over the snowy weekend..

My son getting the bolts all tightened up.

Added some grip tape to both sides so they are not so "slippery when wet"

Drivers side

Passenger side.

#14 ·
Extended brake lines

Thanks all for the comments on the sliders. Much appreciated. :)

I have a few more misc projects to post up and keep track of in this thread

My passenger side brake line has been rubbing on my tire, so I decided to go stainless steel while I was already in replacing it.
Rough Country Kit:

I was only able to get the passenger side installed. If you notice the line with the T fitting. My Bronco only uses the straight part of the T and there is supposed to be a plug you put in the other fitting. My kit was missing this fitting as well as a couple washers and a crush washer. Rough Country is taking care of me though and they are sending out a new kit.
Passenger side:

#15 ·
F350 Booster and MC

A while back I installed an F350 MC and booster

stock Bronco setup:

With the 35's the Bronco is hard to stop, so I thought I'd give this upgrade a shot. It was an all bolt in upgrade..

F350 setup:

Much improved. I will note that when I was installing the arm from the booster to the brake pedal I put the sensor on the wrong way and my brake lights would not light up right away, only under heavy pressure. My son got pulled over by a state trooper who was cool about it and just told him to get it fixed.

#16 ·
Drivers seat replacement cover

In another thread I posted up a link to this but here are the pics:

Old torn up drivers seat. Seems like anyone with leather seats has this same situation. For a while I just kept putting duct tape under the tears to try and keep it all together but finally gave up:

I ordered up a replacement cover from Richmond Upholstery. and set about dismantling the drivers seat in my basement. Replacement was pretty straight forward. The only modification I had to do was cut down the plastic rail on both sides of the seat to make it fit the factory rail:

New seat all installed:

The wrinkles you see in this pick have since settled down and it lays flat on the foam. I did pick the extra foam option when I ordered to account for the settling of the foam over the past 18 years per Richmond's recommendation. I'm happy with the results.

#17 ·
Transmission Fluid/Filter Change

Decided with all the rain this weekend to tackle a project I have had on the list for a while but never seemed to make it to the top. Transmission fluid change, oh and I also did the xfer case fluid while I was under there.

Here is the pan all dropped:

typical sludge built up on the pan magnet..

Pan all cleaned up:

A peek from underneath with the pan removed:

This a pretty easy job, just has the potential to be messy. Make sure you drain the fluid from the torque converter. There is a ton of fluid in there. My 96 has a reusable seal so that was nice. Last comment I picked up the first filter from O'Riley's and its a generic one that IMO does not at all match up with the original one. It does not sit up nice and tight next to the tranny and it wiggles around. I took it back and drove the extra miles to Napa and got one that was nearly identical. I had read about people needing a filter clip. I wonder if they got the more generic one that does not sit flush on the tranny.

#19 ·
Front Bumper!

Been a while since I have updated this thread.

I scored a used Broncoair front bumper. BTW Chris at Broncoair is VERY helpful. He was quick to respond and answered a ton of questions for me, and I didn't even buy it from him. Thanks again Chris.

Here is me bringing it home! It barely fits in the back of the Bronco.

At first glance it appeared to be in good shape, at least from the front, just needed some buffing right?

WRONG...from the back...:shocked Tons of rust. Man the labor I would have saved if even one coat of primer or paint had been applied to the back when it was new...:smilie_slap

My son jumped right in and started stripping off the rust and old paint

I used a combo of wire wheels (3", 2", & 3/4"), Evapo rust, and lots of hand sanding to attack the back side. Here it is all wrapped up and soaking.

The above combo worked pretty well. Above the brace is untouched, below is after soaking and then working it with wire wheel.

After 20+ hours, (mainly all by my son) of working on it, it cleaned up pretty good.

primer applied. Like my high tech paint booth? LOL

PO didn't remove or tape off the PIAA lights before painting for some reason..:twak top light I have removed the paint, bottom is what they looked like when I took them out.

Even the back side of the PIAA lights were all rusty. Cleaning them up also.

All the misc stuff cleaned up and painted.

As she sits right now. 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of matt black FRONT AND BACK!!. Toying with going gloss but not sure yet.

I have 2 completely rusted on bolts that attach the PIAA lights. I have been PB blasting them to no avail. I am going to cut those off sometime this week and buy some new ones, MAN DO I HATE RUST!! Other than that, I think its about ready to install.

My son it gone all week, so after he returns I will try and get it actually put on the Bronco!

#86 ·
Been a while since I have updated this thread.

I scored a used Broncoair front bumper. BTW Chris at Broncoair is VERY helpful. He was quick to respond and answered a ton of questions for me, and I didn't even buy it from him. Thanks again Chris.

Here is me bringing it home! It barely fits in the back of the Bronco.

At first glance it appeared to be in good shape, at least from the front, just needed some buffing right?

WRONG...from the back...:shocked Tons of rust. Man the labor I would have saved if even one coat of primer or paint had been applied to the back when it was new...:smilie_slap

My son jumped right in and started stripping off the rust and old paint

I used a combo of wire wheels (3", 2", & 3/4"), Evapo rust, and lots of hand sanding to attack the back side. Here it is all wrapped up and soaking.

The above combo worked pretty well. Above the brace is untouched, below is after soaking and then working it with wire wheel.

After 20+ hours, (mainly all by my son) of working on it, it cleaned up pretty good.

primer applied. Like my high tech paint booth? LOL

PO didn't remove or tape off the PIAA lights before painting for some reason..:twak top light I have removed the paint, bottom is what they looked like when I took them out.

Even the back side of the PIAA lights were all rusty. Cleaning them up also.

All the misc stuff cleaned up and painted.

As she sits right now. 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of matt black FRONT AND BACK!!. Toying with going gloss but not sure yet.

I have 2 completely rusted on bolts that attach the PIAA lights. I have been PB blasting them to no avail. I am going to cut those off sometime this week and buy some new ones, MAN DO I HATE RUST!! Other than that, I think its about ready to install.

My son it gone all week, so after he returns I will try and get it actually put on the Bronco!
Great job on the rebuild. I am really enjoying the thread and I am anxious to see your progress. Please share any updates if you can. Thank you for sharing your family's Bronco project and Merry Christmas.

#21 ·
Thanks and good advice, I think I will. It will match the sliders anyway..

#23 ·
lights...

So I know that LEDs are all the rage and hands down better in nearly every category, except the one that's most important to me right now.. Price!! Plus honestly I like the look of the bigger lights on Broncos. I think it fits the style\era better than the new ones, but that's just me.

I scored these 4 KC lights off of craigslist for next to nothing. The guy upgraded to LED and just wanted them out of his garage. His loss is my gain. Comes with complete harness for both sets: fuses, relays and switches. Plus the grill guard is already drilled for 4 lights from PO.. win, win

2 are floods and the other 2 are long range driving.

Here are the two pieces almost ready to put together. I have some work left to do on the grill guard, but it should not take too long.

Any wiring Gurus out there want to give me pointers on things to make sure I do or do not do? I have never installed axillary lights before. I know, I know.. "search" lol

#25 ·
Installing on the Bronco

Thanks for the wiring advice Silent one. I am looking at just building\buying a whole new harness for the lights. The piaas didn't come with anything and the KC harnesses look to have been overheated at some point. Any direction from anyone on where to buy a harness kit or is it just as easy to build it? If so what parts?

Back to the bumper.. Finally getting this beast installed on the Bronco

I thought the grill guard was "ready" to go but upon closer inspection I found this under the paint.. yup more rust... sigh.

After another half a day getting the rust demons off the grill I was able to put it all back together

We all know what the front stock bumper looks like, but here is a picture anyway

Front bumper off:

Sway bar all disconnected and ready for bracket

Shots of the bracket. I have seen lots of people build complicated mounting systems for bumpers. These are so simple, but so cool.

Getting it all lined up with the floor jack

The stock bumper has always been so close to my 35's.. 3" of clearance in fact:

New bumper more than doubled the Clearance: 7"

A few shots with the bumper installed:

I had a little bit of extra time so I installed the KC lights. I did not get around to wiring anything. That is a project for another weekend

I had to take it out somewhere other than my driveway so here are a few poser shots:

and my favorite shot:

#27 ·
Thanks! I really like how it all came together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.